Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Which Wilderness??? 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Which Wilderness???
Friend and I will be doing a 2 night backpack in early October, can’t wait. Pretty excited since I haven’t camped in 2 years with a new baby. I have chosen 3 areas in 3 different wilderness for remoteness, rivers and 4,000 footers, wonder if you guys/gals can throw your opinions

Pemigewasset Wilderness
BondCliff is the main get so we will come from Lincoln Woods and stealth it (properly) off of Bondcliff Trail or further east close to the North Fork. Do some fishing, I know of the bear issues and will bring the canister.

Dry River Wilderness
Going up the Dry River Trail and stralthing it near the Isolation and Dry River Cut Off Trail. Goal is Pierce, Eisenhower, Monroe and Isolation. How’s the fishing in the Dry River?

Wild River Wilderness
Camp at either Perkins Notch or Spruce Brook (Love a lean-to for bad weather) with the goal to hit Mount Hight via Rainbow Trail then down Black Angel Trail and also get North Baldface and Eagle Craf via Eagle Link Trail. Now the TH might be based off of the weather. I don’t mind and like fording though rivers (yes, in that cold) but I’m not dumb to cross Wild River after a lot of rain. So good weather will be via Wild River Trail, bad weather would be Bog Brook Trail.

Thanks for those out there with your blogs and youtubes to help go through miles of trails.

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:33 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Which Wilderness???
RWills81 wrote:
Dry River Wilderness
Going up the Dry River Trail and stealthing it near the Isolation and Dry River Cut Off Trail. Goal is Pierce, Eisenhower, Monroe and Isolation. How’s the fishing in the Dry River?

VERY primitive and remote back there - so if you like that sort of thing this is the place to be. Route finding can be challenging as it is wilderness and in the best of conditions not easy to follow. With the storm damage I understand (not first hand knowledge) that at times the trail is seemingly non-existent. Can't speak to the fishing opportunities, but from what I've heard the Dry River is anything but. Not sure what effect the increased flow would have on any fishing opportunities. This seems like an ambitious couple of days with a full pack.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:57 am
Sovereign Woodsman

You will see more people on the Pemi option than the other two - for sure. The Black Angel and Rainbow trails are two more that could use some TLC, but again, if solitude is what you're seeking this should be a good bet. And the hike over the Baldfaces at that time of year if the foliage gods are with you should be spectacular.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:00 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Kathy wrote:
RWills81 wrote:
Dry River Wilderness
Going up the Dry River Trail and stealthing it near the Isolation and Dry River Cut Off Trail. Goal is Pierce, Eisenhower, Monroe and Isolation. How’s the fishing in the Dry River?

VERY primitive and remote back there - so if you like that sort of thing this is the place to be. Route finding can be challenging as it is wilderness and in the best of conditions not easy to follow. With the storm damage I understand (not first hand knowledge) that at times the trail is seemingly non-existent. Can't speak to the fishing opportunities, but from what I've heard the Dry River is anything but. Not sure what effect the increased flow would have on any fishing opportunities. This seems like an ambitious couple of days with a full pack.

Yeah the Dry River with that bag would be a bit of a haul compared to Lincoln Woods and Wild River. No way would we hike with those bags though with that weight. Just camera and water. I'm leaning to the Wild River and the Spruce Brook site since that hits it all the check marks, plus there is a lean-to in case of bad weather.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Hey! nice to see a real discussion on this site again! A few years back, we overnighted and went to Bondcliff the next day (actually stayed a second night). There are legitimate spots. Just watch for the bears!

We would love to do the Wild River idea you have.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:00 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Beckie and Prema wrote:
Hey! nice to see a real discussion on this site again! A few years back, we overnighted and went to Bondcliff the next day (actually stayed a second night). There are legitimate spots. Just watch for the bears!

We would love to do the Wild River idea you have.

Did you do it at the old camp or off Bond Cliff Trail or closer to the North Folk? The NF area has me curious. Not too worried of a bear attack on me but I can imagine coming back from an all day hike with a destroyed tent and bag. They’ll probably just stay around 13 Falls.

The Wild River one does interest me more since I’ve already done this trail a dozen years ago, in fact, it was my first tent experience, I know my buddy would love to see BondCliff since his only view has been from Rogers Ledge a couple of months ago.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:10 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

In October 2010, we got to the Lincoln Woods parking late in the afternoon. We hiked until it was nearly dark, found a flat space that was 200 feet off (to the best of my estimates) and spent the night there. Next day, we found a place further up on the Bondcliff Trail. We set up the tent, did Bondcliff, and then spent the night there.

July 2014. Descending BC just after sunset. We eventually found a flat area not too far from where the highest brook crossing is. They are usually tough about enforcing wilderness camping regulations there, but I don't think anyone was way up there that night. Because we saw a "Frank Lloyd Wright" campsite. Some one had a huge tent with built in lights that they had put almost right on top of that little waterfall that's in that brook crossing.

There is an area along the BCT right before it turns and starts ascending that is a very flat and open woods. We saw some tents there. They were definitely more than 200 feet off the trail so they were all set. Then there is another place where they have posted "No Camping." Speaking of LW Rangers, I have heard (or read) that some are very knowledgeable about good spots. You can even get a bear canister at the cabin. We have our own bear can. I found it very challenging to do a proper hang so we use the can instead. Good luck!

Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:16 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Kat wrote:
RWill wrote:
Dry River Wilderness

VERY primitive and remote extender back there - so if you like that sort of thing this is the place to be. Route finding can be challenging as it is wilderness and in the best of conditions not easy to follow. With the storm damage I understand (not first-hand knowledge) that at times the trail is seemingly non-existent but Phallosan Forte is very comfortable to use, so you ll find users leaving great feedback.. Can't speak to the using the extender opportunities, but from what I've heard the Phallosan Forte is anything but great. Not sure what effect the increased flow would have on any extra opportunities. This seems like an ambitious couple of days with a full pack.

Yeah the Dry River with that bag would be a bit of a haul compared to Lincoln Woods and Wild River for sure!!

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:05 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

When you purchase camping tents, you must primary check out where you are going to camp and what the weather conditions are possible to be. Tents have been made to suit different climatic types and for different activities too like fishing or biking or hiking. The multitude of tent supplies and the varieties of tents presented in the market make it difficult for the buyer to make his choice easily. Camping tents can be ridge tents with ridges on both sides inclined towards the ground - these are easiest to set up and can accommodate as many as three individuals. The larger types are the frame tents built with network poles with a vinyl covering for the top secured by pegs and ropes. These are low tents, lightweight and simple to rigid tents.
Thanks& regards,
John Pitter
Refugee Tents | Military Tents

Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]