Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Star Lake Sustainability Project (Helping Search and Rescue) 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Star Lake Sustainability Project (Helping Search and Rescue)
Hi Fellow Hikers,

I have a fund raising project just starting that is designed to help fund search and rescue. Search and rescue groups are primarily volunteers, many of whom use their own equipment and free time to help those people stranded in the mountains. They don't get paid; they don't get fame; they just help. We are going to help them.

Here's how it works:

1. I collect old wax, seemingly no longer useful and destined for the landfill. I collect the nicer jars from the old, nearly empty candles that get donated.

2. I melt and collect the wax, filter out the wick holders, wicks, shells, and other non wax items. The wax is then poured into rectangular blocks for storage. Every batch is unique in color as the wax is a combination of various candles and waxes; no two reds look the same. The work that goes into these is much more than from making a new candle, but the result is unique and sustainable.

3. The best of the cleaned jars are then used with the recycled wax to create new jar candles in various colors. I use new wicks and adhesive to hold them in place, but all wax and jars have been removed from the waste stream. The wooden boxes have been made from upcycled pallets.

4. The candles are for sale for a suggested donation of $10. I do not take reimbursements for anything and am happy to donate my costs for wicks, adhesives, gasoline, and my time. All money collected will go directly to the grant program of the New Hampshire Outdoor Council (NHOC). The NHOC gives grants to various S&R groups for equipment and training of volunteers. No one takes a salary as it is an entirely volunteer-based organization. In other words, if you donate $10, then ALL of that $10 goes directly to help. A full dozen with box is a $100 suggested donation if anyone is interested in that or in going in with a group.

5. These will be available over the summer in various locations. Currently, they can be found in the White Mountain Café in Gorham, NH. In the next few weeks, I will also be placing them in the Mountain Wanderer in Lincoln and International Mountain Equipment in North Conway. Other places will be added as I receive permission to do so.

6. My goal is to reach between $500 and $1000 this year, and if successful I hope to make this an ongoing fundraiser. I have done this fundraiser for three consecutive years but have donated funds to a variety of organizations including UNICEF, WWP, WWF, Heating assistance, etc. but plan to focus on S & R now.

If you are interested, please visit one of the sites where they are offered. They are all good places.

Thank you for helping something close to the hearts of many who wander the mountains.

Scott

FYI: NHOC: http://www.nhoutdoorcouncil.org/

Last edited by Raven on Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 30, 2015 7:15 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Star Lake Sustainability Project (Helping Search and Res
Very nice work there and great of you to donate your time effort and money.

Is Star Lake just a favorite spot of yours? I thought when reading the title this had something to do with saving the lake, so glad to see it doesn't and that big puddle is still in good shape.

Also, if you don't mind me asking I have always wondered about this. Since nobody ever seems to take a penny for their search and rescue volunteering, training, rescuing etc and they all use their own equipment, what does all the money raised by volunteer groups go to? If you raise 1000 dollars what would they do with it? And why are rescue bills often in the 10's of thousands of dollars when nobody is getting paid? Not trying to be a dink, really just curious.

Sat May 30, 2015 9:54 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
Very nice work there and great of you to donate your time effort and money.

Is Star Lake just a favorite spot of yours? I thought when reading the title this had something to do with saving the lake, so glad to see it doesn't and that big puddle is still in good shape.

Also, if you don't mind me asking I have always wondered about this. Since nobody ever seems to take a penny for their search and rescue volunteering, training, rescuing etc and they all use their own equipment, what does all the money raised by volunteer groups go to? If you raise 1000 dollars what would they do with it? And why are rescue bills often in the 10's of thousands of dollars when nobody is getting paid? Not trying to be a dink, really just curious.

Thanks GG.

I used the name Star Lake for three reasons. Primarily because it may be my favorite place in the Whites. It was the site of the most publicized death in the Whites in recent memory (Kate Matrosova), and it makes for nice alliteration in the title I think. :)

To be clear, it's not that no one gets paid from a $10,000 rescue bill (NHF&G employees, USFS when used in the ravines, helicopter pilots, etc. all do receive a salary as this is part of their job), but the VAST majority of people on rescue teams are not getting paid.

Equipment that needs to be purchased would include litters, 2-way radios, first aid supplies and things generally not found in a hiker's pack but more used for team rescue. The volunteers use their own clothing, traction, etc. Volunteers go through training; my assumption is the trainers are paid for their expertise and time. The NHOC website has a list of past grants they have funded to give an idea. I plan to earmark the funding for equipment purchases.

Sat May 30, 2015 10:19 am

Thanks Raven. They should really make that known that many of the donations go to instruction and equipment the average hiker doesn't own. I've never donated to SAR, and part of that is I always wondered if the money was squandered on some sort of administrative costs. I'll happily buy a couple of the candles when I see them. They'll go great on the table when car camping. Make a citronella version and sell them at the campgrounds. You'll make a mint! :D

Sat May 30, 2015 3:36 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
Thanks Raven. They should really make that known that many of the donations go to instruction and equipment the average hiker doesn't own. I've never donated to SAR, and part of that is I always wondered if the money was squandered on some sort of administrative costs. I'll happily buy a couple of the candles when I see them. They'll go great on the table when car camping. Make a citronella version and sell them at the campgrounds. You'll make a mint! :D

Much appreciated GG.

I completely agree with the administrative cost comments. I will not donate money to organizations with CEOs taking in huge salaries, etc. although I do multiple fundraisers yearly for a variety of organizations, most of them local. I support the NHOC in this way just for that reason. When I found a way to make 100 cents of every dollar donated count, I went with it. They are a good group.

Sun May 31, 2015 7:18 am
Sovereign Woodsman

What a great idea this is! We would definitely get some. And when we're in the Gorham area, we like to eat there. And since we're from Lawrence, the Mountain Wanderer is just under 2 hours from my house (and Steve does Search and Rescue). If there are any white candles, you know with a name like Star Lake they will make me think of that HUGE boulder. Would you be collecting wax and old candles from those who may have some, or do you have enough? Good luck, and we will be buying some.

Sun May 31, 2015 8:28 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Beckie and Prema wrote:
What a great idea this is! We would definitely get some. And when we're in the Gorham area, we like to eat there. And since we're from Lawrence, the Mountain Wanderer is just under 2 hours from my house (and Steve does Search and Rescue). If there are any white candles, you know with a name like Star Lake they will make me think of that HUGE boulder. Would you be collecting wax and old candles from those who may have some, or do you have enough? Good luck, and we will be buying some.

Thanks! I appreciate the support. I'm hoping this one gets some momentum through the summer. I just got word a few have sold at the café as well as a few I had at a festival in Mass.

The white candle connection to the "Star" quartz outcropping at Star Lake is a great thought. I actually just isolated a lot of white wax and will be making some white ones soon to add to the mix.

And to answer you, no, I never have enough wax. I have enough now for a few hundred candles, but if you want to save it, I will take it and put it to good use. Thanks for thinking of it. If I knew when you were headed to Gorham, you could likely leave it for me, as I am in town at least twice a month, but we could figure that out.

I appreciate it!

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:37 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Hi Folks,

As an update, these candles are on the shelves now and can be purchased at:

The Mountain Wanderer in Lincoln, NH (Thanks Steve!)

International Mountain Equipment in North Conway, NH (Thanks Rick!)

The White Mountain Cafe in Gorham, NH (Thanks Doug, Matt, Jenna, Carly, et. al.)

I will update the list if and when more places take this project on. The goal is $500 for S&R or 50 candles sold. If the 12 at each of these locations sells, that would do it as some have been purchased and replaced already.

I am looking for new locations in the Whites if any one has a suggestion and a connection.

Thanks for the support! Let me know if you get one!

Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:22 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

In the first 6 weeks or so, these candles have netted $160 for the NHOC which will direct the funds to much needed search and rescue grants. All gross income is donated.

This is simply a public thank you for sales to date. We will continue raising funds and expanding sales where possible. Special thanks to the White Mountain Cafe, the Mountain Wanderer, and International Mountain Equipment.

Thank you!!

Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:55 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Update to Candle Sales:

Thanks for the support folks - these have been selling steadily. $280 to date since spring. All to fund S&R through the NHOC.

In addition to the three businesses listed above, two new locations have gratiously agreed to sell these candles in support of Search and Rescue in NH and will be joining the group this weekend. If you are looking for a candle for Thanksgiving dinner, for the early dark nights, the holidays, or to impress a friend, give your money soul and buy a candle that helps people, NH, and the earth.

1. "Fire on the Mountain," a great ski, boot, and board shop in Dover, NH with a real earthy feel.

2. "Philbrick's Sports," an iconic local establishment with a huge selection also in Dover, NH.

Thanks to these businesses (as well as The Mountain Wanderer, International Mountain Equipment, and the White Mountain Café) for being willing to give up shelf space to help fund S&R.

Remember your headlamps folks!

Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:54 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

This project has gone on 11 months now. I'm happy to report candle sales are up to $530 in that time and there are still two stores who have sold a few I have yet to collect. Between 5 locations and a couple random sales, someone bought about one of these each week for the past year. I'm not sure if I expected that or not.

Thanks to the above-mentioned businesses and to those people who have purchased candles. All funds have been donated to NHOC.

Anyone here actually seen these?

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:15 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Raven wrote:
Anyone here actually seen these?

Seen 'em. Bought a couple at Mtn. Wanderer. Get out and pick up a few people. It's a cause we should all support and be grateful for. I know that IF I ever need them, I will be psyched that they are psyched to drop everything at a moment's notice and bring knowledge and expertise to my rescue.

Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:16 pm

Have not been to any of those stores in the past year but I will definitely pick a couple up when I do and burn them proudly at my campsites.

Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Have not been to any of those stores in the past year but I will definitely pick a couple up when I do and burn them proudly at my campsites.

Good man.

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:03 pm

Kathy wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

Good man.

Thanks. My candle lantern is quite possibly my favorite piece of gear I own. There is something magical about the glow it gives off, as opposed to the functional but ugly cast from LED lanterns. I assume this will do just as well. F*** LED's. Candles and propane are the way to go! :D

Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next