[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Stowe Pinnacle - Vermont - 9/1/14

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Stowe Pinnacle - Vermont - 9/1/14 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Stowe Pinnacle - Vermont - 9/1/14
We spent a few days visiting my brother this weekend and Monday before the ride home decided to stretch our legs with a little hike. 5 kids ages 8, 6, 6, 3 and 1 meant we weren't tackling anything huge but decided on Stowe Pinnacle, a 2600 foot peak with a nice open summit for a picnic lunch and some views.

Stowe Pinnacle

The hike itself is about the same size as Mt. Major. Just under 3 miles with 1100 feet of climbing. It had rained the day before and it was humid as hell with 80 degree temps and sunshine, making it feel like we were hiking in a tropical rain forest. Footing was muddy and slick because of the rain on the way up but dried out quite a bit for the trip down. The trail was steadily steep for the first mile, but all the steepest parts had great stonework/steps on them which helped out a lot, both in easing the climb and preventing erosion. Just after a mile we got the first "vista" according to the sign, which was a limited view to the west encompassing camels Hump and Bolton Mountain.

Checking out a tee-pee not far into the hike

As you might expect in the Green Mountains everything was nice and, well, green

The steeper parts all has stonework/steps on this well maintained trail

The first "vista"

Fall isn't too far away

After that the trail levelled off for a bit, curling around the shoulder of the mountain to the junction with the Skyline trail. Nice lush green woods with typical Vermont wavy bedrock and plenty of marble mixed in as always prevailed, but occasionally there were some early leaf drops to give a little yellow color. from the trail junction the last 1/10 of a mile was all bedrock and made for a slick climb up with all the muddy boots that had passed over it. A few tree holds but nothing too tough and before we knew it we popped out on the open summit ledges. Just like Mt. major this one appears to draw a lot of families and kids in season. A lot of dogs too, and despite there being a leash law and 150.00 fine nobody seemed to care, because "their" dogs are "friendly and only want to sniff and lick you"...and jump on you, and your kids, and try and steal your lunch... :roll: It was busy up there, but we were a group of 9 so who am I to complain!? Good to see so many people out enjoying the views.

The last 1/10th of a mile is mostly rock and root with a couple small ladders

Crowded on the summit but a great spot for a picnic lunch

VFTT. West/north and east

The summit views are spectacular. A large open ledge drops off 20 feet or so giving a panorama of the Green Mountains from Mt, Hunger to the west to Camels Hump all around to Mansfield across the valley and bvillage of Stowe, Smugglers Notch etc were nice and green under some fluffy white clouds and a blue sky. Normaly the Adirondacks are in a nice litte cluster just to the right of Camel's Hump but they were in the clouds this day. We spent about 45 minutes having pbnj's and leftover pizza in the warm summer sun and breeze before heading down. The uneventful trip brought us down in about an hour and we headed up the road to Waterbury, which may have the best post hike treats ever. The Ben and Jerry's factory is there, Cold Hollow Cider Mill, Cabot Cheese annex and more are all right on the roadside. we went with cider donuts and apple cider slush but any of them are great. Vermont definitely has some of the best pre and post hike eats on earth.

Views west towards Camels Hump are probably pretty awesome at sunset

Stowe and Mt. Mansfield across the valley

Headed down through the lush Green Mountains of Vermont

Are there better post hike eats anywhere on earth than Vermont?

So if you're in the area this one is worth the effort. Might even be worth the drive between the hike and the food if you're looking for something in that size range. It was about 2:15 from the seacoast with little to no traffic. Not sure if Sundays rain drove everyone away or what but it was the first time I've ever come home from the Whites or VT and not hit a snarl at the 93/89 junction. I read online this hike makes a great sunset hike to head up in about an hour with a bottle of wine and some cheese and after seeing the views to the west I'd have to agree. Probably a perfect spot for that during foliage season if it's not to chilly. maybe we'll have to head back sometime and find out!

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:45 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Very nice report and pix GG! You have a wonderful family there.

I was in Maine yesterday doing a waterfall hike.
I couldn't believe the humidity too. Unbelievable!!!
The sweat was dripping off my big nose like a broken pipe! :x

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:54 pm

Not Fair !!! ;-)

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:54 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I also vouch for the humidity being high on Monday! My skin was constantly soaked like i just came out of a pool! Can't wait till I am done with the all season 48. Ill end up focusing on other states. Vermont has some pretty choice hikes like this one.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:04 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:28 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:09 pm