Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hedgehog Mountain (Deering)- 10/21/2013 
Sovereign Woodsman

Hedgehog Mountain (Deering)- 10/21/2013
No, this isn't the Hedgehog Mountain off of the Kanc :wink: . I found this mountain after some snooping on peakbagger.com and the SPNHF website. The latter stated that the trailhead for the Hedgehog Mountain was on Hedgehog Mtn. Rd., but I went down the road from both ends (from NH 149 and US 202) and didn't find it. All I found was a Class 6 unmaintained road. I soon deduced that the trailhead must be down the Class 6 road, so I drove down NH 149 into Deering and turned onto Hedgehog Mtn Rd from Old County Rd. (which starts on rt. 149 a couple miles from the Hillsboro town center) and soon came to the umnaintained road, which was flooded in the beginning and rocky and rough near the TH. Needless to say, if you have a small, low-clearance car, you may have to park near the gate before the flooded section and walk to the TH.

The TH has a SPNHF sign (for the Hedgehog Mountain Forest) and a grassy area for parking. I parked here, geared up, and walked down the road a short distance, following blue "TRAIL" signs, to the start of the Hedgehog Mountain Trail.

Sign at trailhead

The trail started out with an easy grade, paralleling an old stone wall for a short distance. It then crossed the wall and a wet area, and then followed old woods roads at a more moderate grade. Except for a few downed trees, the trail was well-maintained. It progressively got steeper and soon crossed a woods road with visible tire tracks in the mud. Maybe people go 4X4-ing here? Anyway, the trail ascended a steep, eroded old road and then made a right-hand curve to the summit.

Hedgehog Mountain's summit is mostly bare and has excellent views to the west. Parts of Crotched Mountain and the Pack Monadnocks were visible to the south, while Mount Monadnock, Pitcher Mtn, and Bacon Ledge/Round Mtn in the Peirce Reservation (the latter two are high on my to-do list), as well as several other peaks I couldn't identify, were visible to the west. As beautiful as the summit is, I wonder why this mountain is rather unknown. Other points of interest on the top include a rock ring, two small cairns, and a metal benchmark. I took a quick water, snack, and view appreciation break and then headed back down.

Crotched Mtn and the Pack Monadnocks

The grand Monadnock :wink: :D

Metal benchmark

Wind turbines to the northwest

The summit and its views

This was definitely well worth the trip, and I'm glad I hiked it! The trail was nice, and the summit was awesome. One of the best little mountains I've hiked. Roundtrip distance was about 2 miles with 410 feet of elevation gain.[/img]

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:04 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Cool! I'm bookmarking this! I think I can squeeze this one in next month. I hadn't heard of it either. Thanx for posting this! I may be able to throw in a trip to fox state forest while I'm down there!

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:33 am
Sovereign Woodsman

hiking lady wrote:
Cool! I'm bookmarking this! I think I can squeeze this one in next month. I hadn't heard of it either. Thanx for posting this! I may be able to throw in a trip to fox state forest while I'm down there!

Ditto! Thanks!

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:51 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Nice report and agree this looks like a great little find for the area. There's a lot of great little areas likie those managed by SPNHF and State forests with trails, oftent surprisingly enjoyable little trips, especially in southern NH. The states forest dept website does a great job listing/describing them. Thanks for sharing this one.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]