Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 15 Miles in the Great Gulf 06/10/2012 
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

15 Miles in the Great Gulf 06/10/2012
Date: 06/10/12 Sunday

Trails/Peaks: Great Gulf trail, Six Husbands trail to Jefferson. Jefferson loop trail to Gulfside trail to Sphinx Trail. Sphinx Trail down to Great Gulf trail back to Trail head.

Stats: 14.7 miles, 4800 ft of gain, 9.5 hours.

Cast of Characters: Kate, Jorge, Steve, Jim, and me

Brief comments:
- Great Gulf trail is absolutely beautiful with tons of swimming holes and several primitive tentsites.
- Six Husbands trail is a blast with ladders, steeps, and fantastic vistas
- Kate's new trail name is Queen Weetamoo after putting the hurt on her trail husbands- on the Six Husbands trail up to Jefferson.
- Lots of flying inspects of varying sizes on the summit of Jefferson.
- Sphinx trail was a punishing descent. Wet, mossy covered rocks and water crossings made for slow going. But a very scenic trail with interesting water features.
- The swim down at the trailhead bridge was simply fantastic!
- Queen Weetamoo's horse (The trusty lass) got a ticket for an expired WMNF parking pass! OOOps!

Jeffersons Knee

Ladderous Copious

Ledgy Goodness

There's snow in them there hills!

A lovely day for a stroll on the grassy knoll

Gulficus Maximus

All pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/mpetcher/G ... _06102012#

Petch

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:16 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Nice!
Confirms for me that I *shall NOT pass* the Six Husbands trail. I don't look at ladders so much as a help as another opportunity to slip and fall :(

Excellent pics, seem like a jump in image quality ... new camera? Or maybe just no pink cast from reflections from the flamingo?

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:32 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Wow, awesome hike... it's been added to my list :D Looks like you had the same bugs on the North side of Washington that I had on the South. Ah well, it was a great day to be above treeline. Great photos.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Awesome! Looks like a great time was had by all. Might have to bucket-list this one ;)

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:46 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Nice! I would really have liked to join you for this one-- looks gorgeous and fun. Hey, I read in another report a while back that there are some hairy places on six husbands with at least one exposed blind-corner scramble in a no-fall zone. Given that you didn't mention said feature, and I didn't see a pic, I assume this description is false or at least exaggerated. Do tell...

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Pam wrote:
Given that you didn't mention said feature, and I didn't see a pic, I assume this description is false or at least exaggerated. Do tell...

Shhhh, he suppressed that memory!

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:04 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Great trip report and pics Petch!
You got me thinking and I just went to check my WMNF sticker and good thing I did, it expires end of this month!

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:24 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Nice report and great pictures. GG trail is definitely a beauty. My friend also got a ticket in that lot for an expired pass. 50 bucks plus a 25 dollar processing fee!! Does anyone know if they ever fixd that loophole and can actually collect it now?

Pam wrote:
Nice! I would really have liked to join you for this one-- looks gorgeous and fun. Hey, I read in another report a while back that there are some hairy places on six husbands with at least one exposed blind-corner scramble in a no-fall zone. Given that you didn't mention said feature, and I didn't see a pic, I assume this description is false or at least exaggerated. Do tell...

It's definitely there. We did this trail Sunday too but then went over Washington and came down Boott Spur. I have a feeling we were about ten minutes behind Petch & Co on the ascent. I could see Queen Weetamoo in the cowboy hat when looking up from just after the first boulder cave standing on the outcrop just after the ladders and said ledge. It's not as terrifying as the book makes it out to be but it's definitely a no fall zone. I'll probably put together a trip report today since it's raining and there won't be much else to do after work, complete with a picture or two of it.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:09 am
Sovereign Woodsman

WOW- those are some stunning pictures. Nice that you offered up some nice pics of the outlay of the trail is like. I haven't come across pics like, great to get an idea of what to expect if I ever have the opportunity to do it. Absolutely stunning area!! Great job, sounds like a l-o-n-g day!

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:56 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Super sweet Mike. Now if I can only get my bushwhacking buds to find their trail legs, we'll do something very similar. Ya right, a solo day for sure. 8)

Great shots.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:19 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Excellent trip Petch! I did this several years ago with a friend in October. It's a long day (we knew we would be walking out in the dark hours before the sun set) but definately worth it. If you like the GG trail you should head up to Spaulding Lake and the headwall. It gets even better. :D

Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:20 am
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
Super sweet Mike. Now if I can only get my bushwhacking buds to find their trail legs, we'll do something very similar. Ya right, a solo day for sure. 8)

Great shots.

I'm interested... I couldn't make it on Sunday due to Little League (where I play 2nd base ;))

Tim

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:50 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

- Scooter: same camera, maybe the fatigue made for calmer hands...
- The dangest thing, my parking pass was expired as well, but no ticket...
- I think the Six Husbands was a little more scary before the fifth ladder was added. I was mentally prepared for it, so it didn't seem that bad.
- The Sphinx trail sucked the life out of me on the descent. About 1400ft of drop in a little over a mile....and very wet.
- I definately want to make a return trip to the GG. Like Ian suggested, I would like to visit Spaulding lake. I don't even care if I summit another peak from there. Just backpack in, explore, and hang out in the cool water on a hot summer weekend. Crash at one of the tentsites....that would be good enough!

Petch

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:16 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Sounds like an awesome trip Petch...you do a lot of hikes that make me very jealous. Guess I should get out more often. :wink:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]