...More Topics...
 Books

Important Book!

Search

Search hike-nh.com
Search WWW

Hike-NH.com
Your Source for NH Hiking Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hike-NH.com Forum Index

Locke's Hill

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffstevens
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Locke's Hill Reply with quote

Went on a great hike today with my wife and our 3 1/2 yr old. Locke's Hill in Gilford, NH is a great first hike or with little ones. Our 3 1/2 yr old did this hike on her own( was her first hike also). We parked off rte 11 by the scenic view( there's signs for the parking lot) and grabbed a map out of the green mailbox and started up the Quarry trail. Some wet areas but real nice. Not to hard of a climb. Follow the Blue marks on the trees. About 1.15 miles in we reached the summit. There are some good views of Lake Winnipesaukee and a Light tower. It started to rain a bit so our lunch date on the summit had to wait till we found cover in the trees. We met a small group of people on the summit and that was it. We headed down the Lakeview Trail and found somewhere out of the rain to stop and eat lunch. After that we continued and came to an opening where the views of the lake were great. Also there is a view finder and some cool chairs made out of rocks. Wish we ate lunch there. After some zig zaging down the trail we made it back to the parking lot. about 0.69 miles down. Total trip was almost 2 miles and took us 2 hrs( with a little one). All in all a great trail and hike.
Kathy
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the boards. I remember when we brought our then little guy on his first solo hike. We'd hauled him in a carrier and sometimes in a pack for miles before he walked on his own up Sugarloaf in Twin Mountain. Probably about the same distance.

It's cool, huh? What I liked about hiking w/him was that we were slowed down and really got to check out the woods, from his 3 foot tall perspective.

Congrats to you and the little hiker.
hiking lady
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Great trip report. Sounds like you and your family enjoyed yourselves despite the rain. I'll add this one to the list!
hiking lady
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a chance to do this one this a.m. It was great! Beautiful view of the islands and lake on the lakeview trail! A great loop hike. We went early before the real heat, but it was muggy just the same. This would definitely make a great family hike! Thanks for reporting on this-since I hadn't known about this!
ErickTheRed
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockes Hill is a favorite of mine in the winter. Welcome to HikeNH!

I went up there trying to find a path to Kimball Castle one day, got lost trying. I ended up doing a roadwalk back to the car only to see the castle from the road, probably 100 feet from where I parked. From what I can tell if you follow the powerlines towards the lake you'll run right into it.
alstaubin
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great hike. Nothing like getting out with the family. I remember getting out when my boys were younger it was great. I can now get my youngest (24) son out, but not enough.
Excape
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great little hike I discovered last fall! Definitely love the views and the granite benches! I am surprised you didn't have company! It seems to be a popular dog walking trail :/

The route to the castle I believe is the road from the beacon tower. You can see it on satelite maps. I simply took Locke's Hill Road and drove up it only to find out later online that it is actually private property. Too bad no one has bought it and fixed it up. The current owners couldn't keep up with it and the town deemed it unsafe to live in. It then was hit by theft and arson Sad

FOT48: North Tri '09, Passa '10, Willey '11
hiking lady
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we did notice a bunch of trails at the top wondering where they all led. Too bad about the castle suffering from theft and arson! It would be neat if it could be something they fixed up and gave tours to people.

We went early before the crowds, so only ran into one dog walker and one other person sitting at the bench.

Very neat little spot!
BobC
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report! I'm going to be staying overnight in Gilford in early July, and this looks like a nice short little hike to do while I'm there.
Excape
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobC wrote:
Thanks for the report! I'm going to be staying overnight in Gilford in early July, and this looks like a nice short little hike to do while I'm there.

Hey Bob, be sure to check out the Rattlesnakes too if you have time! A great little hike with awesome views across Squam Lake, Redhill, Ossipee Range and Lake Winni! http://hikethesummits.blogspot.com/2011/03/rattlesnakes-31211.html
BobC

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excape wrote:
BobC wrote:

Hey Bob, be sure to check out the Rattlesnakes too if you have time! A great little hike with awesome views across Squam Lake, Redhill, Ossipee Range and Lake Winni! http://hikethesummits.blogspot.com/2011/03/rattlesnakes-31211.html

Just went to West Rattlesnake yesterday! I think it's my fourth trip. I was with someone that hasn't done a lot of hiking and so I wanted to do something really short and easy. Cool

Haven't been to East, though...tried once a couple of years ago and lost the trail. Someday I may do both Rattlesnakes and hike down to Five Finger Point.
hiking lady
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five finger point is nice Bob, we mtn biked it several years ago. The other Rattlesnake is tricky to find we also struggled with that.
Excape
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiking lady wrote:
Five finger point is nice Bob, we mtn biked it several years ago. The other Rattlesnake is tricky to find we also struggled with that.

We found the trail with no problem in the winter....perhaps it's been improved since you last did it? The view isn't too different, a better view of Redhill and squam lake is about it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hike-NH.com Forum Index -> Trip Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: