Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 You Choose For Me!! 

Which boot should I buy?
Poll ended at Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:03 pm
Merrell Perimeter GTX  63%  [ 5 ]
Asolo Fugitive GTX  38%  [ 3 ]
Can't Go wrong with either  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

You Choose For Me!! 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

andy wrote:
Quote:
These were choice 2> http://www.merrell.com/US/en-us/Product ... r-Gore-Tex
Joe said he bought these. They felt a little heavier than the others and seemed to bulky for what I am used to. Also the tongue was digging into my ankle, but that could go away when they are broken in. Also didn't care for the lower shoe lace hook, seems difficult to get the lace around (maybe Joe can give a review on this now that he has been wearing them awhile). They do look great though and are constructed very nicely. My brother said they are a very good boot.

I took a look at these when I bought new boots in September. I got the exact opposite impression. I thought they felt very light, and seemed kind of flimsy. The display pair at the store even had creases in the leather, I assume from people flexing the boot while checking it out. After checking them out, I thought they were way over priced. For the same price, the Vasque Wasatch seemed to be a much sturdier boot. But I didn't get those either.

The creases tell one thing, not that they are flimsy but are made of a soft grain leather. Which means vitually no break-in time. These were comfortable, right out of the box. I have them a year and a half and in that time the amount of time they have kept my feet dry are well woth the $185 I paid for them. I'm quite confident I'll get at least a good 5, comfortable, years out of these. The heavy, top grain leather uppers, such as Limmer, ($325) :shock: , who clains in some cases their boots have lasted 25 years, will wareout the Vibram sole long before the leather is worn out. I don't no this for a fact, but I doubt Limmer warranties the Vibram sole. So what's the point of having a boot that the Leather upper will last forever. :roll:

Of coarse, this is just my opinion. :)

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:14 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Quote:
The creases tell one thing, not that they are flimsy but are made of a soft grain leather. Which means vitually no break-in time. These were comfortable, right out of the box. I have them a year and a half and in that time the amount of time they have kept my feet dry are well woth the $185 I paid for them. I'm quite confident I'll get at least a good 5, comfortable, years out of these. The heavy, top grain leather uppers, such as Limmer, ($325) Shocked , who clains in some cases their boots have lasted 25 years, will wareout the Vibram sole long before the leather is worn out. I don't no this for a fact, but I doubt Limmer warranties the Vibram sole. So what's the point of having a boot that the Leather upper will last forever. Rolling Eyes

Of coarse, this is just my opinion. Smile

You are right that the uppers on the Limmer's uppers will out last the soles, but the Norwegian Welt design will allow for an easy resole. The only problem I have found with the Norwegian Welt is that I haven't found a pair, any brand, with a toe rand. My mother had a pair of the mid-weight Limmers, and she wore a hole in the toe after just 3 months. Limmer offered to replace them, but she just got a refund instead.
I did try on those Merrels, and the did feel good, just a bit light. They just weren't what I was looking for. What I ended up going with was Asolo Powermatic 500 GV's. I wanted tanks on my feet, and these boots fit the bill. Got 'em at Kittery Trading Post, who sells them at regular price of $270. I got them durring their Septemberfest sale, 30% off, for $198. This sale excluded Merrel products, or I might have considered them more. Very, very stiff for my first couple of hikes in them, but now, after about 50 miles, they are loosening up quite nice, and I love them. Not a drop of water inside, and I expect the uppers to outlast the soles.

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:42 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

andy wrote:
You are right that the uppers on the Limmer's uppers will out last the soles, but the Norwegian Welt design will allow for an easy resole. The only problem I have found with the Norwegian Welt is that I haven't found a pair, any brand, with a toe rand.

Another problem with resoled boots is I hear a big problem is sometimes things can be hit or miss. Sometimes the boots remain as comfortable as the previous soles, other times the fit is uncomfortable and never the same even with break in (I am not sure of the physics of why this happens. :lol: ) So, that is another issue to take into consideration with the Limmers. Personally, as I have mentioned before, my LL Bean Crestas which are similar to the Limmers, have served me well. But they are fairly heavy (at least the size 13's can be :D ).

So I am in the same mind as your mother and would have passed too. I will pay $175 for the Crestas or for any of the current line-up of hiking shoes (like the Merril's, Salomens, etc. etc.).

Brian

Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:48 am
Sovereign Woodsman

[quote="New Hampshire"Personally, as I have mentioned before, my LL Bean Crestas which are similar to the Limmers, have served me well. But they are fairly heavy (at least the size 13's can be :D ).[/quote]

I, quite literally, know what you mean. How long have yours been going for? I got mine in fall, 2006, so three years, 10-12 trips per year, 100-120 miles means 300+ miles. The Vibram sole is not as nice as it once was, and the rubber/leather junction is opening up a bit - but they don't appear to leak. I do wish they had the rubber toe rand though.

Tim

Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Hey Tim. The lip on the Vibram sole has pulled away a bit also, but they have for the most part remaind waterproof for me despite my poor continued maintainance of them :oops: . After revising some figures it appears I have over 1200 miles on mine. The soles is starting to show their wear and are starting to get a little less grippy, though I will probably get another 500 miles or so out of them before replacing them. When I combine my short gaiters with my Crestas I can usually keep my feet dry should I dunk them by accident and get my foot out quickly.

Brian

Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:15 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I'll dig this up for some chuckles.

I wrote something a while ago on boots/trail runners and the primary pitfall of asking for boot suggestions:

http://rocksontop.com/blog/7/entry-21-w ... -not-care/

To save you from reading the entire thing, I'll just paste the only part that is actually relevant here:

First of all, my feet are not your feet. I always stress this point when talking about footwear because I’ve seen a lot of people trying to ram square pegs into round holes with regard to footwear. How many times have you heard your friend say "Friend X told me that shoe brand N was great but I bought them and I don't like them!". I always encourage people to verbally chastize me when I am not practicing what I preach which has been known to happen from time to time.

All things considered I too wear LLbean Crestas. Historically I have worn Vasques without any problems so there may be a Vasque -> Cresta compatibility :)

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:10 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

The timing of these two footwear topics is great for me. I am moving my hiking boots into work boots and getting new hiking boots. I have Merrills withnvibram soles and vortex. My feet have always been dry and comfortable, especially considering the mileage in a day. But I have a cut on e toe and a nail hole through the sole, so it's time. Thanks for the input!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:09 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: You Choose For Me!!
What did you end up buying?

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:32 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: You Choose For Me!!
Wow, this is an old topic! I ended up grabbing a pair of Timberlands that were on sale, as a temporary solution. They worked so well that I haven't gotten anything new since! Although that may change this year.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3