Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Possible closure of Wilderness Trail section 

Possible closure of Wilderness Trail section
I don't know if they plan on closing this section to prevent people from crossing where the bridge will be removed but it certainly looks like Bonds traverses and Ceadr Trail loops will be tougher after the summer.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_m ... _color.pdf

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:24 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Bill,

Bonds traverses shouldn't be affected, because according to the map within the scoping report, the trail closure will be on the portion of the Wilderness Trail that's to the east of the junction with the Bondcliff trail. I think this will primarily affect people that ski these trails, though, in the winter months. I'm pretty sure that some people like to ski up the Lincoln Woods & ilderness trails (west side of the river), cross over, and then ski back on the east side. That will be a lot harder to do soon...

Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:40 am

Hey Bob,

Am I thinking of the wrong section of trail? It looks like the section after Franconia Falls.

Now looking at it a little closer .....this must be the section just past the Bondcliff Trail junction.

and if I read the first paragraph again I woudl have realized I was looking at the wrong section.
sorry,
Bill

Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:14 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Quote:
We are soliciting your comments to help define key issues associated with the
project, to assess the need for alternatives to the proposed action, and to refine the
analysis of effects.

Just a reminder to anyone who has an opinion - they are still taking input until May 9 - read Bill's link for more detail.

Thanks Bill.

I haven't hiked this section in over 20 years; I think I'll go one last time this summer ... I don't really remember how big the river was at the bridge point, but I remember the finding such a bridge out in the middle of the woods completely blew my mind :)

Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:08 am

I hope this removal does not lead to a drowning of a hiker trying to cross the river here. Your going to see a lot of herd paths develop for people looking to cross the river.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:49 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Anyone have any sense of how heavily traveled that section is?
When I traversed it years ago (coming down from Thoreau Falls) I saw nobody at all....

Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:37 pm

I traveled this section last year with New Hampshire and the Jeneral. Except for a small group of overnighters that we saw near the bridge, we saw no one. The Wilderness Trail beyond the bridge is much different than the section near Lincoln Woods. It is starting to become overgrown and if it were not for the railway beds, it would be hard to follow in several years without trail work. Saw lots of evidence of moose and of the old railway days.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:10 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks for the info. About what I thought. Makes it kind of hard to argue in favor of spending $ to repair the bridges .... I'm sure a large part of the decision is driven by cost/benefit ... if the bridge(s) are becoming unsafe, they have to do *something* .... I imagine demolition and trail closure is cheaper than repair and maintenance... <sigh>

I *like* bridges :(

Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:53 pm

I did not think the bridge was in that bad of shape. I'm no engineer but with the center of the bridge being about 50 or more feet from the water, it would be tragic if the span collasped with people on it. There were warning signs to cross only one person at a time posted.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:27 pm

Bill, the bridge YOU are thinking of was replaced the year before last.

Brian

Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:35 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: Possible closure of Wilderness Trail section
The high desert is an extremely delicate place. Seeds of local grass, sage and do my homework blooms can here and there discover a touch of shade from a half-covered bit of sage brush. On the off chance that this bit of sage brush or section of Juniper is moved, the smaller scale atmosphere is changed and the plant may kick the bucket.

Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]