Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

 

 

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

       
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:46 am



Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Liberty and Flume 
Author Message
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 2752
Location: south of the notches
Reply with quote
 Liberty and Flume
On a gorgeous November day. When a friend calls you late on a Friday night and says they don't want to drive too far,
don't want to do more than ten miles and want views, what's a hiker to do? Franconia Ridge of course. With a promising forecast
and an early start to avoid crowds it worked out pretty well. Left the house around 6, boots on trail by 7:30 ish, lots of down time
with a break at the first ledges before Liberty then again chillin' and soaking up the rays on Flume. Car to car took about 8 hours.

Morning light
Image

First views looking north along Franconia Ridge and across to Cannon
Image

Looking across the Pemi Wilderness to Washington
Image

Lincoln and Lafayette from Flume
Image

Flume Slide
Image

Flume Slide Trail - NOT my descent route
Image

One of my favorite "look-backs"
Image

From the flanks of Liberty, looking across to the Kinsmans
Image

OK. First, SO nice to see the new signs sans graffiti and stupid carved initials or phrases. But what's with one being USFS and the other being USDA?

Image Image

_________________
Life is a trip ~ pack accordingly


Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:00 am
Profile
Hiking Forums Are My Crack
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:37 pm
Posts: 7137
Location: Exeter, NH
Reply with quote
 Re: Liberty and Flume
Kathy wrote:
On a gorgeous November day. When a friend calls you late on a Friday night and says they don't want to drive too far,
don't want to do more than ten miles and want views, what's a hiker to do?


Short of getting new friends, here's 52 ideas that fit the bill perfectly. :wink: http://4000footers.com/list_52wav.shtml I'm not sure which route you took for this hike. Out and back using Liberty Springs? Certainly was a perfect last couple of days though. I was wishing we had time for more than just a little local hike with the kids in the afternoon, but a couple easy miles was better than nothing.

Kathy wrote:
Flume Slide Trail - NOT my descent route
Image


Also, NOT the Flume Slide Trail, at least not the one I remember. Flume slide trail is actually mostly ledges in the woods. Starts about 1/10 of a mile south of the summit.


Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:05 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 2752
Location: south of the notches
Reply with quote
 Re: Liberty and Flume
Granite Guy wrote:
Also, NOT the Flume Slide Trail, at least not the one I remember. Flume slide trail is actually mostly ledges in the woods. Starts about 1/10 of a mile south of the summit.

Yeah, that's where I was, the trail - or at least what was a well traveled path - was slightly to the left in that picture.

AND, just for the record, I did not pick the hike. Though ON the hike I did pitch our list. Have forwarded it to my pal for perusal and her choice for our next outing.

_________________
Life is a trip ~ pack accordingly


Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:09 pm
Profile
Hiking Forums Are My Crack
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:37 pm
Posts: 7137
Location: Exeter, NH
Reply with quote
 Re: Liberty and Flume
Kathy wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
Also, NOT the Flume Slide Trail, at least not the one I remember. Flume slide trail is actually mostly ledges in the woods. Starts about 1/10 of a mile south of the summit.

Yeah, that's where I was, the trail - or at least what was a well traveled path - was slightly to the left in that picture.


Herd path down a slide, but not the slide, although that one looks more fun and scenic, which probably explains the developing herd path. The trail doesn't go on any open slide that I recall. All overgrown smooth (and slick) slabs of ledge and roots. It starts at the junction of the Franconia Ridge/Osseo Trails firmly in the woods with no views and signs.
Image

Image

Kathy wrote:
AND, just for the record, I did not pick the hike. Though ON the hike I did pitch our list. Have forwarded it to my pal for perusal and her choice for our next outing.


In that case, back to the whole getting new friends thing! :lol:


Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:12 pm
Profile
Hiking Forums Are My Crack
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:39 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Not Mass 8)
Reply with quote
 Re: Liberty and Flume
Kathy wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

AND, just for the record, I did not pick the hike.


Sure, sure! We all know you're gridding the southern Presi's and Franconia Ridge. :P

_________________
Adventure is not a race. - Unknown


Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:03 am
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:35 pm
Posts: 2752
Location: south of the notches
Reply with quote
 Re: Liberty and Flume
JustJoe wrote:
Kathy wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

AND, just for the record, I did not pick the hike.


Sure, sure! We all know you're gridding the southern Presi's and Franconia Ridge. :P

HA HA HA HA HA. Ya got me there - well, at least with the southern Presi's. Not so much the FR, except by chance - and that it's just such an awesome view bang for the effort buck! :lol:

_________________
Life is a trip ~ pack accordingly


Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:30 pm
Profile
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:04 pm
Posts: 3733
Location: Newmarket, NH
Reply with quote
 Re: Liberty and Flume
Nice....those two peaks are always winners.

_________________
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes" -Steven Winterburn


Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:25 pm
Profile
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:41 am
Posts: 1
Reply with quote
 Re: Liberty and Flume
BobrC wrote:
Nice.... those phallosan fortes are great two peaks are always winners.


Fantastic pics, sure looks like you had a lot of fun!


Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:07 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Hike-NH.com based on STSoftware.