Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016 
Sovereign Woodsman

Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016
http://hchikingnh.blogspot.com/2016/08/ ... -loop.html

I needed some easier hikes with not so much elevation gain so these five hikes with Brian fit the bill.

Greg

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:11 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016
Best conversation ever:

"The Church Pond trail isn't a loop anymore."

"Then why is it still called the church pond loop on the map?"

*dig out map and looks* "Oh."

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:33 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

So, over the course of the day.......9 miles and 2430' :roll: You seem OK to me. :wink:

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:25 am
Sovereign Woodsman

New Hampshire wrote:
Best conversation ever:

"The Church Pond trail isn't a loop anymore."

"Then why is it still called the church pond loop on the map?"

*dig out map and looks* "Oh."

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I winced when I saw loop mentioned, and the mileage listed looked about right for my recollection of the old loop distance. Based on the stories I heard from the last few years it was open, I'm glad I haven't gotten to it yet, and now don't have to do the loop :) Thanks for the beta though. This kind of day trip is something I have in mind for a similar day: lazy feeling, don't want to climb too much, but do want to check some miles off. I did something similar over Memorial Day weekend in Pinkham Notch, haven't done the Kanc trip yet. I call this kind of day "ADD Hiking". Drive, hike for a mile or two, drive a little more, hike a mile or two, etc.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:51 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I've done all those hikes, though not in the same day. That makes for a pretty full day. I too made the mistake of hiking the entire Church Pond Loop last year, and I wasn't sure I was going to make it out. I thought I might get sucked into the swamp and never see the light of day again. It's clearly marked on the sign that the East side is decommissioned, but I completely missed it. I wouldn't do that part again, but I love the rest of the trail and have been back several times since.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:05 pm

These are all good hikes for one reason or another. Some more exciting and some more educational obviously but all were interesting to me. I did the Church Ponds loop when it was still a loop. I don't recall it being overly wet or muddy, but I also don't recall that part adding anything to the hike, so no big loss. The Boulder loop is a great little hike IMO. Those view ledges are a great place to have a picnic or just hang out for a while and a nice birds eye view of the Kanc. Falls Pond is a nice spot and the Kanc could use a few more little hikes like these. Something around Lily Pond on big bridges perhaps?? A trail that follows the Swift River for a ways?? More hikes for when big hikes aren't in the cards for whatever reason.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:05 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

A cool and different series of hikes. Nothing crazy. But an interesting way to fill out a day. I hope you get over your bout of malaise and have good luck in CO.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:11 pm

madmattd wrote:

I winced when I saw loop mentioned, and the mileage listed looked about right for my recollection of the old loop distance. Based on the stories I heard from the last few years it was open, I'm glad I haven't gotten to it yet, and now don't have to do the loop :) Thanks for the beta though. This kind of day trip is something I have in mind for a similar day: lazy feeling, don't want to climb too much, but do want to check some miles off. I did something similar over Memorial Day weekend in Pinkham Notch, haven't done the Kanc trip yet. I call this kind of day "ADD Hiking". Drive, hike for a mile or two, drive a little more, hike a mile or two, etc.

We were having a pretty great day up until we saw that river crossing, and then began following the trail after the pond that basically disappeared a few years ago. Lesson learned....buy up to date maps. :lol:

Thankfully the loops that came after made up for the miserable soaking we got. Plus just lounging on the rocks at the river crossing was very nice.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:04 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
The Boulder loop is a great little hike IMO. Those view ledges are a great place to have a picnic or just hang out for a while and a nice birds eye view of the Kanc.

And I felt bad because I think I voted no for it on the views list. But when Greg and I got out to the ledge I realized we never made it this far the last time out there. But good to know my vote did not do it in and it now holds a spot on there. 8)

Brian

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:05 pm

New Hampshire wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
The Boulder loop is a great little hike IMO. Those view ledges are a great place to have a picnic or just hang out for a while and a nice birds eye view of the Kanc.

And I felt bad because I think I voted no for it on the views list. But when Greg and I got out to the ledge I realized we never made it this far the last time out there. But good to know my vote did not do it in and it now holds a spot on there. 8)

Brian

I wish I had pictures from it in 1966'ish. I'll bet the views were even more open. I don't recall much about the hike at all. Seeing it was 50 years ago. :shock: :( 8)

Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]