Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Yet Another 8 Days In Acadia (Part II) - Short & Sweet 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Yet Another 8 Days In Acadia (Part II) - Short & Sweet
Not a lot to this one, but after finding just enough blueberries on Norumbega two days prior to wet their appetite, the kids were looking for more. Besides it being a hot out my mother in law and wife's cousin were also going on this hike so it couldn't be too long, but I was hopeful that the south facing ledges of the Triad would have a few more berries. We started at the Wildwood Stable parking area, visited the horses for a bit and headed for the carriage road that starts at the barn. About a half mile of that took us to the Hunters Brook Trail, which immediately begins climbing very steeply on mostly open ledges, and very quickly we hit the first big blueberry patches which made my kids very happy! :D Our little army of pickers set out to get a couple water bottles worth as we slowly worked our way up the lower of the Triad's multiple summits. Nice views of Seal Harbor and even a glimpse of Martha Stewarts estate peaking above the treetops from up there, as well as looks as the surrounding mountains and the higher summit of the Triad waiting ahead of us.

Before starting out we visited the stables and got ideas for later in the week

Following the carriage roads to start the hike

Then it's up up and away on the Hunters Brook Trail

It wasted no time climbing, but got to the sun loving blueberries in no time at all! :D

PYO with a view!!

Martha's rooftop bottom left, I think...

After the picking was complete we dropped down through Triad Pass before making the climb up to the highest of the Triad's summits. Leaving the pass there is a brand new set of wooded stairs that helps you up the formerly eroded slope. Now its just a few nice steps up and out of the pass followed by an easy climb to the top, where after 2 miles of hiking we had lunch and enjoyed the directional view. There were even a few more blueberries lurking around for the kids to gobble up for dessert. The trip down was steep with a lot of ledge, but went by quickly, which in the hot afternoon sun was a good thing. In no time at all we were finished with the little hike and headed for Echo Lake to cool off for the afternoon. That's it, short and sweet, which was perfect for the weather and the company we had with us.

Done picking and headed for the highest of the Triads three summits

Nifty new staircase climbing out of Triad pass

Restricted summit view but a good place for lunch

Sailboat and Cranberry Isles

My trio on the Triad :D

One of these things is not like the other...

Wandering through the berry patches on the way down

Echo Lake. And not a moment too soon!

Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: Yet Another 8 Days In Acadia (Part II) - Short & Sweet
Hmmm, a little red-lining while blueberry picking? 8) I'm not sure I've done a hike there that doesn't have some blueberries along the way. I passed those new stairs in June. The time and effort they put into building and maintaining trails there is unreal.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:50 am
Sovereign Woodsman

So in the one of these things isnt like the other. Is it your wife being the only person on the left side wearing a black shirt? I'm sure I'm over thinking this.

Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:26 am

Yes the amount and quality of trail work in that place is amazing. I always here about the deterioration and poor condition of the National Parks and Forests in general due to lack of funding and budget cuts, but Acadia and the Whites sure don't suffer from it. Lucky us!

Peter you are over thinking it. Here a hint. It was the same hike and trails we found those peculiar looking mushrooms on. Not much more to it than that! :wink:

Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:57 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I love those stairs. Another a good idea for my trip in Sept.

Terry

Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:03 pm

This was a nice little hike, especially for blueberries, for 2.5 miles in Acadia you can do much better. The only real view is of Seal Harbor. I wanted to use the Hunters Brook Trail the whole way but thought it was just a little long for the kids.

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]