Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 N. Moat via Red Ridge....and then some. 5-21-16 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

N. Moat via Red Ridge....and then some. 5-21-16
So the forecast for Saturday looked perfect. Given that how can you not opt for something with views!? I decided it was time to knock off something that has been on the to-do list for a very long time, Red Ridge. Ah, but here is the catch! I decided, if I am going in, I might as well go all in and do some redlining as well. So as usual, I made grandiose plans that looked oh so charming on the map, but when all was said and done was proof that I don't need Greg with me to make dumb decisions. What was this supposed grand plan you may ask? Well, I decided to start at Echo Lake State Park. This meant I would be climbing White Horse Ledge first in order to drop down to Red Ridge trail. "Ah, but that sounds great" you might say. Mmmm, indeed in the morning it was, but of course it meant re-climbing White Horse at the end of the day. "What is so wrong about that" you may ponder. Ho ho ha ha, my naive friend, how many ways to count......

...but of course I am getting ahead of myself. I parked outside the closed gate for Echo Lake S.P. (it was too early in the morning for them to open yet), and made my way down to the trail that circles the lake. From the beach you get some pretty nice views of White Horse and Cathedral ledges.

The trail itself is pretty straightforward and winds through a thin pine forest that surrounds the lake.

I managed to miss this stupid sign because it is set back a bit from the direction I was coming (if I had reversed the loop I would have seen it) but thankfully I did not get very far before realizing my error.

The real title for today's adventure should really be "Trail Junctions" because I would be at a ton of them.

Greg and I had done the W.H./Cathedral ledges before and used Bryce path which goes straight up into the col between the two, but which is ultra steep. I chose to use the moderate (and longer) trail out and around since i had not done it before. There is not much to say about this section except it is poorly blazed, the treadway covered in tons of dead leaves, so is sometimes a pain to navigate, and most times slippery as hell.

Oh look, another junction already!

Skipping the short distance to the summit (knowing I would do it later) I continued on down the Red Ridge Connector to pick that up. The trail down from here is kind of pleasant, perhaps not a lot going on, but devoid of the nasty slippery leaves of previous.

Well lookee here, is this a junction? :D

From here I was now on the Red Ridge trail, in the flat section leading up to the real climb, which was a bit soggy in places, and here I got my first taste of the mosquito and black fly population (thankfully not plentiful, but annoying anyway).

Take a guess what this is....yup, trail junction.

It was time to start gaining some elevation again. The trail sidles up next to a stream, which of course you have to cross.

I never met a trail builder who did not enjoy crossing streams just for the joy of it. :roll: But once over that the trail picks up the climb again, and takes on a nice shrubby air to it. You can almost feel the ledges and views coming!

And sure enough, not long into your climb, you are rewarded with your first panorama!

Of course the problem with heavily views laden trails is that you want to stop at every viewpoint to take pictures even knowing that another one just as good or better is probably waiting 2 minutes up the trail.....oh what a miserable thing to have to deal with! :lol:

I gots ta gets me butt over there!

So it was starting to get pretty warm. Like real warm. Like Will Smith "DAYUM" warm. I decided to try something new. Figuring I would not bump into anyone I decided to zip off my pant legs and take my shirt off. The moobs made their chalky debut to the world, and I tell ya it was wonderful to not be encumbered with a sweaty t-shirt. :P So up the baking ledges I went, looking for all the world like a hairy, sweaty sasquatch (which, of course, I am).

Hi Kearsarge!

I know, you are bored with views by now, right? :wink:

Ok, but seriously, you ARE bored with junction I assume. I know I was at this point.

Running the last part of the ridge I finally get some glimpses to the west.

Which of course leads you into the wonderful summit and it's 360 degree view.

I sat and soaked in the views, alone on the summit, for maybe 10 minutes before a man and woman arrived. I kicked back for about another 5 minutes before pushing on. I made the summit, but I was not even at the half way point yet. So I continued on to complete the loop, but first pausing at this fine smooth ledge where, many years ago, my friend went for a death slide (it was winter and icy) that nearly took him out. Alas that was not a good trip for Russ as he managed to lose his wedding ring while making one of the water crossings lower down, in the dark by headlamp, and which he did not realize until he had gotten back home.

So down I went, passing several people on the way up, and arriving at this.....yet another junction.

I picked up my pace and made good time to...yes, the next junction. Alas this T.J. was no Hooker. 8)

Oh crap, I forgot, this stupid crossing that always looked like a pain in the butt (and it was).

I made it across and started the last of my redlining today. I bumped into a French Canadian fellow and his two young kids who was at one of the roads/bike trails that the trail crosses, map out, and confused looking. He asked me which way the trail went and I did my civic duty by placing him upon the correct path (I should note here he was a polite French Canadian, but when asking for directions you mostly can guarantee anyone to be polite :wink: ) I returned to the junction for the Red Ridge Connector and made my way back up over White Horse Ledge. Now, I will admit it....it was a slow and agonizing climb. I was now about 11 hot, sweaty miles into a long day, with about 3 more to go to get to my car. So I was overjoyed to come full circle and see this junction again.

And thus ends the picture portion of the day. Yes, I went to the ledges and took no pictures, didn't even stop. I just wanted the hell out of there. I was rank, sweaty, those ledges pretty hot, and the emerald green of Echo Lake taunted me from what seemed miles away. I pushed on down to the col to pick up Bryce Path, made the STEEP drop down and across to connect back to the lake and complete the loop from the morning.

I was so beat upon reaching the car I did not even get a photo of the GPS, which showed the mileage to be 13.5. Elevation gain was over 3K, and I sure felt it. Red Ridge was totally worth it, but I have to say that the route I used to get to it would not be the first one I suggest any time soon....or ever. :roll: Still, it was nice to get in such a views packed trip, and to knock another gem off my to-do list. Who can ask for anything more?....

....well me. I could ask for more. If anyone knows of an ultralight, man portable air conditioner I could use the contact info. Thanks. :mrgreen:

Brian

Last edited by New Hampshire on Tue May 24, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 23, 2016 7:15 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: N. Moat via Red Ridge....and then some. 5-21-16
Wow, what a lot of nice scenery! We should have gone there!

Tue May 24, 2016 12:24 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Congrats on finally doing Red Ridge. :beer: I've been hearing you're going to do it for about 5 years now. :roll: :wink:
But like I said, you should have waited a little longer for blueberry season. :D

By the way, you are cutting off your own text with your picture size. I have to cut the page down to 75%.
Then put a second pair of glasses on. :?

Tue May 24, 2016 5:20 am

JustJoe wrote:
Cong
By the way, you are cutting off your own text with your picture size. I have to cut the page down to 75%.
Then put a second pair of glasses on. :?

And Google+ is pi$$ing me off about this. Picasa used to let you use the thumbnails, but since Google nuked Picasa they no longer leave you that option (and some searching tells me others are not happy about this fact with Google+ either). I have been thinking of taking my TRs into a blog format just for this reason, but not sure I want to go through all the effort of setting one up.

Tue May 24, 2016 6:21 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I switched to flikr for the same reason. Google photos doesn't have the breadth of options picassaweb had. But hey! It looks pretty . :roll:

It's also a pain in the rear to have to do a batch job resizing all the pics in PS and then upload again. But otherwise if people are looking at a TR on mobile. They either guess as what words are being cut off. Or they just wait to go home. Or hit the "print view" button at the top of the post to read on .mobile.

Tue May 24, 2016 6:35 am

I should do some major knocking on wood after this statement, but Picasa still works for me.
I wonder of never switching to Google+ has anything to do with it? I remember when that first
came out it constantly tried to get me to switch but I constantly refused.

I still don't get the F-ing reason for Google doing away with Picasa. Google Photos can come
close to holding a candle to Picasa.

Either way, I'll be very bummed out if and when Picasa no longer works.

Tue May 24, 2016 7:04 am

"Print View" has been my solution to seeing reports with pics wider than 640 on mobile devices. Pretty easy solution actually, but if the pics are really big the writing gets really small. I also still use Picasa to edit photos. Haven't found anything quicker or easier, but then I load them to Flickr which makes them look better at full res and resizing things is pretty simple too.

As for the report, Red Ridge has been on my list since Joe posted his blueberry picking trip a while back, so I'm waiting for that, but it looks like a great hike. I know the summit is pretty awesome from a traverse of the range, so I need to wrap it all together, maybe with a hike like this one using the ledges. The PUD hikes like that are definitely harder, for me at least, than climbing the same 3-4K feet up a bigger mountain and then cruising easily all the way back down. That pano of the lake came out awesome. Looks more like it should be in Yosemite than North Conway. Speaking of the lake, if you were that hot you should have jumped right in! That water is "refreshing" to say the least even in summer. I keep a bathing suit in my car at all times for just such occasions.

Tue May 24, 2016 8:11 am

It may have been a bad idea for you, but it makes great reading for us. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue May 24, 2016 8:53 am

Granite Guy wrote:
Speaking of the lake, if you were that hot you should have jumped right in!

Believe me, the idea crossed my mind. But at that point I was about .4 miles from an ice cold drink.....drink for the win. :D

I think maybe it is time to go looking for a new photo hosting site. I did used to use Flickr, but lost my account log in, and for some reason it refused to reset my password for me. Maybe I will try again, but I got fed up quit trying. I also used to use Image Shack, but they apparently charge now....so to hell with that. :lol:

Tue May 24, 2016 5:27 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

you could always make a new account. I did for my flikr account. oh and

Signs signs everywhere a sign Caution: a few swears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDw4lsPDEho

Tue May 24, 2016 6:52 pm

thegibba wrote:
you could always make a new account. I did for my flikr account. oh and

Signs signs everywhere a sign Caution: a few swears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDw4lsPDEho

We need a "like" button for this website so I can like the hell out of the Tesla video. :lol:

Tue May 24, 2016 7:06 pm

OK, I figured out what was wrong with my Flickr login. I replaced the panos (which is where the issues always are) and made them clickable. I think perhaps this has solved it. :D

Tue May 24, 2016 8:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]