[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - WMNF Volunteers needed: Trailhead Stewards; training May 21

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 WMNF Volunteers needed: Trailhead Stewards; training May 21 
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: WMNF Volunteers needed: Trailhead Stewards; training May

Sun May 15, 2016 10:28 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I'll be at an 8 year olds softball game, but I think I would like to do this eventually. Good on all of you who do make it.

Sun May 15, 2016 10:44 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

If this is something you'd like to be involved in, do drop me a note. We are happy to do on the job training / mentored. The response has been tremendous this year. We've gone from 20 to 50 volunteers at trailheads, and getting 80% coverage. That means we still have room for more volunteers.

We've augmented the Trailhead program with a "patrol" program for the Trailhead Stewards. This has met with fantastic hiker response, especially with those who are new to hiking or needing guidance. Especially the questions they think are "dumb", but are not. Most people have never seen a ranger on the trail, but that is changing this year.

What we do is dress up in our official duds and go hiking. Pretty much where ever and when ever we want to. You get to take a hike and give back at the same time. There are such a plethora of people with unanswered questions on the trail. We are augmenting some of that face-time activity that rangers would love to do but don't have the time.

I have found myself on many of the less challenging trails, as that seems to be where many of the concerns are. So many of these folks are rank beginners or vacationers/once a year hikers, that our advice is greatly appreciated. Being on trail allows you to give key advice immediately, especially when their plans go awry. Besides, if you're advising someone to "downgrade" their hiking route, you better make sure you've traveled the route yourself.

It is my intent to help those with the aspire to the hiking passion we have.
We all had to begin somewhere, and many of us didn't have family trips, camps or outings.
There is only one downside due to all this advice giving. Take your average trail time and halve it!

You are welcome to join me, just drop a note, bill@tarkulich.com.

"I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks." D. Boone

Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3