Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Hike-NH views list..... 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: The Hike-NH views list.....
Minimum height requirement? And does it have to be a summit? Examples. Zeacliff, Rainbow Ridge. Here's my whittled down of the current 52WAV. Don't shoot me. Just my thoughts. 8)

Avalon 3442
Baldface, North 3610
Baldface, South 3570
Black (Benton) 2830
Cardigan 3155
Cherry - Owl's Head 3573
Chocorua 3500
Crawford 3119
Cube 2909
Dickey - Welch 2734
Hayes 2555
Horn 3905
Israel 2630
Jennings 3460
Kearsarge North 3268
Moat, North 3196
Moat, South 2770
Parker (Bartlett) 3004
Percy, North 3430
Potash 2680
Roberts 2582
Shaw 2990
Shelburne Moriah 3735
Sister, Middle 3340
Success 3565
Sugarloaf (Groveton) 3710
Sugarloaf (Twin Mtn.) 2539
Webster 3910

Mon May 09, 2016 3:38 pm

iagreewithjamie wrote:
hiker0200 wrote:

The White Ledges near Mt. Sunapee, to be exact. It's tall enough for inclusion on the NH 52 with a View (2,717'), but it got snubbed :evil: . Just barely shorter than Sunapee, but twice the view. Plus, Lake Solitude is right below, which makes for an awesome frame.

Pics, hiker0200?

I think you just have to put Sunapee on it. It has nice views into VT. White Ledges by itself is just a 60* view SE.

Which brings me to something else. Southern NH, ME, and MA too. Just a whole lot of nothing to look at. :wink:

Mon May 09, 2016 3:50 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Granite Guy wrote:
Also, Magalloway is on the 52WAV I think. Are we trying to come up with a unique list, as in peaks and views not on other lists? Or just a superlative list?

I would say the goal is to make a list of peaks with views WE here think are worthy. Let's face it, there are some really great peaks on the 52WAV list, but also some duds. And since there are already so many lists out there then obviously our list is going to have a lot of overlap with others. Which is fine I think. As I say, thi is about US here, this community. It's all about having fun and seeing where this leads to (hopefully a really killer list :D )

And speaking of Magalloway this led me to another thought. Firetower peaks...how do we consider these. The thing is, some peaks noted for great views are only so because of the firetower which brings you above the trees. Cardigan, and both Kersarges? Yes they have towers, but views are had regardless. But Stratton mountain or Smarts....you only get views by climbing. I had this brought home to me last time on Smarts when we discovered the tower was damaged and thus closed. So basically it was a gorgeous day, on a summit noted for views, but we got nada.

As for voting, how about we go this way....4 "yes" votes and an item passes except when "no" votes exceed the "yes" votes. Example: item# gets 4 "yes" votes and 3 "no" votes the item passes. But if it is 5 "yes" votes and 6 "no" the itme is struck down. I guess if there is a tie we call it in favor of "no".

Mon May 09, 2016 5:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Why not stick to NH for now as that is where a majority of the people who hike (and represent this forum) will be doing the bulk of their hiking? Or make a NH list priority and dabble with a NE wide one.

I am all for making something a bit more unique than something like the 52WAV list, which as Brian said has a few gems in the lot but a bit of useless baubles. Nothing over 4K+ but what to use as a low elevation cutoff or do we have one? Try and spread it out throughout NH to include southern NH? You can't say there are no views to be had in southern NH or elsewhere as that depends on one's interpretations of what a view is considered to be.

Mon May 09, 2016 6:07 pm

JustJoe wrote:
Which brings me to something else. Southern NH, ME, and MA too. Just a whole lot of nothing to look at. :wink:

Soooooo Mondanock is off the list?! 8)

As for White Ledge, I like the view, but maybe we can make hikes with views like that also need to summit the peak they are associated with if it is relatively close by? White Ledge/Sunnapee.

Ocean Lookout/Megunticook is another that comes to mind like this. The lookout is the worthy view (IMO) but the summit is only a little bit farther. Would kind of be a shame to turn back at the views and miss the high point of the mainland of the eastern seaboard I think. Then again maybe that's up to the hiker to give a crap if they go the extra bit. Or maybe it doesn't even make the cut. I like it, but depending on how long the list is...

I had the exact same thought about the fire towers, specifically because of Smarts too. If a peak has a tower but it's closed like that one, or under repair like Green Mountain has been. Too rickety to climb safely like the one on Pleasant. Maybe they don't make the cut?

Mon May 09, 2016 6:08 pm

JustJoe wrote:
Minimum height requirement? And does it have to be a summit? Examples. Zeacliff, Rainbow Ridge. Here's my whittled down of the current 52WAV. Don't shoot me. Just my thoughts. 8)

Avalon 3442
Baldface, North 3610
Baldface, South 3570
Black (Benton) 2830
Cardigan 3155
Cherry - Owl's Head 3573
Chocorua 3500
Crawford 3119
Cube 2909
Dickey - Welch 2734
Hayes 2555
Horn 3905
Israel 2630
Jennings 3460
Kearsarge North 3268
Moat, North 3196
Moat, South 2770
Parker (Bartlett) 3004
Percy, North 3430
Potash 2680
Roberts 2582
Shaw 2990
Shelburne Moriah 3735
Sister, Middle 3340
Success 3565
Sugarloaf (Groveton) 3710
Sugarloaf (Twin Mtn.) 2539
Webster 3910

I'd say no it doesn't have to be a summit. There's some on the 52 that aren't. How can you have a views list without Zeacliff?! I also agree with your picks from the 52, but no Willard?? Man, the judges are tough! :D

Mon May 09, 2016 6:18 pm

I too would miss Willard being on this list. :D

Oh, and Davis should be on the list. Better views than Isolation, IMHO. 8)

Mon May 09, 2016 6:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Joe, you're tough!

A couple thoughts:

Some of the 52 I've thought were redundant. For example, Middle Sister is a good view no doubt, and if one wanted to climb it for it's own sake it can be a great destination, but does it offer much of anything that Chocorua doesn't, other than a view of Chocorua (which you're likely to get on most any approach anyway)? Maybe things like this can be settled by the vote, but I'd be for just having Chocorua. It's especially odd the way that Welch-Dickey is considered one, but Chocorua/MS, the Baldfaces, the Moats are two each. I'd count each of them as one, although sure S Moat is a great hike itself, it's "just" a smaller bump along the ridge. Seems weird to me.

Fire towers, I'd say that should be considered by the voters. If a voter personally feels like having to climb a tower or have the structure present detracts from their enjoyment enough to thumbs down, so be it. If another doesn't mind, or wouldn't prefer it but still likes the place enough, thumbs up! I would suggest this over having a "rule" for them.

Also, for my money (which is no money at this point), I'd also suggest a higher threshold of "yes" votes than a simple majority. If 40% visit a spot and say "I mean, it was ok, but I don't think I'd have included it" then we haven't really improved on the 52WAV. I'd suggest at least 75% or even 80%, personally.

Finally, and on a related note -- I think I'd suggest a numerical limit. If we're just all agreeing, "yeah, that's a great spot!" with all of NE, we could have a silly huge list, and one that could never stop growing. I feel like having a hard cap and having to fight and argue about which solid spots get left out adds to the fun.

So, to sum up, my personal suggestion would be something like:

4k ceiling, but no elevation floor
All of NE
Spots, rather than summits -- if White Ledge or Ocean Lookout is the best view, why make people go on? Paugus 52WAV style -- it's a views list, not a peakbagging list
Maybe start by voting and using a simple majority to pare down initially, and then find a way to fight over the remainder to bring the total to a pre-determined cap
Everybody promises to not get all hurt and still be friends when Joe votes against their pet favorite (it looks like he's already against mine!)

Of course, I'm with whatever the group decides, just my thoughts.

Mon May 09, 2016 6:29 pm

I like the spots rather than summits. Cliffs, ledges, summits or even as some have suggested lakeside viewed like Lonesome Lake or spectacular waterfalls, although many waterfalls stink or disappear altogether in dry weather. Would be like hiking a fire tower peak and finding it closed if you arrived at a waterfall and found it trickling.

Maybe a most scenic hikes list instead of singular spots? Specify which trails must be used so people don't just take the most boring/shortest way to get to the payoff and miss all the good stuff (that's a pet peeve of mine) Again just throwing stuff against a wall. A hike up Basin Cascades and around lonesome lake would make pretty scenic hike. But hiking Chocorua up the Liberty Trail kind of stinks. Yes the summit is great, but you miss lots of good sights and views if you take the easy way up all the time.

I'll agree not to get my feelings hurt. It's easy to get me in a back and forth, but it's actually quite hard to hurt my feelings anyhow.

Mon May 09, 2016 7:14 pm

First and foremost....yes, this is about having fun. Plain and simple. no need to take anything personal. If you can't take someone not liking your suggested peak then you are probably failing at living in the real world already anyway. :lol:

Second: I agree with Grindboy completely about not getting the whole thing about why some peaks right next to each other were listed together, yet some as separate peaks. Yet another foible about the 52WAV list that had me shaking my head.

Third: Suggesting routes to intended summits sounds like another interesting proposal. Firewardens trail to Smarts....not so much. AT to Smarts...absolutely! Like night and day for that one!

Fourth: The general problem with setting a vote threshold mostly lies in that not everyone visits at convenient intervals. So voting may take place where any given vote may have the same usual 3 or 4 people, but the rest a continuing change of names. Basically the problem is that, unlike Congress where this is easy, because there is a set number of people voting, here we could have upwards of 20 people voting at one time, or as few as 5. But I guess this could bear more discussion.....

Mon May 09, 2016 8:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I like the hike certain trails up to the spot or peak or whatever. Could be the unique twist. Even if it goes against the hike your own hike ethos.

Mon May 09, 2016 9:35 pm

Hike your own hike elsewhere and on your own time, you're hiking our hike now! :twisted:

Actually the terrifying 25 Becky mentioned is just that. We'll just modify it a bit if that's the route we go. The Hike-NH Nifty Fifty? New England Scenic 75? Unmmm no. Clearly I'm not in charge of the name, but you get the idea.

Mon May 09, 2016 9:52 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Wait just a minute. Mt. Willard???? Really?
The mountain where you leave a busy roadway and hike up to a ledgy, rocky outcropping that provides a view......................................................................................................................................................
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
down to the very roadway you just worked hard to escape??? Really guys?

Mon May 09, 2016 9:54 pm

So you're saying you're not going to vote in favor of the Bald Mountain/Artist Bluff hike either?? C'mon, they can't all be Mt. Hale! :D

Mon May 09, 2016 10:40 pm

Sorry, I've just never been impressed with Willard. It's like tunnel vision. Not a whole lot to see.

You get a much better view of the notch from Webster IMO. 8)

Tue May 10, 2016 5:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next