Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Lye Brook Falls, VT- 5/5/2016 
Sovereign Woodsman

Lye Brook Falls, VT- 5/5/2016
Since it looked like a crappy day for summit views, I decided to check out Lye Brook Falls in Manchester, VT with a friend of mine (+ her dog). The fall is one of the highest in Vermont at 125 feet, but it is seasonal according to a few websites. Fortunately, snowmelt combined with recent rain made for a real sight to see.

To get to the trailhead, we took E. Manchester Rd from VT 11, just before crossing route 7, 1 mile to Glen Rd. About 1/4 mile later, we turned right onto the access road to the trailhead (sign: Lye Brook Falls). Plenty of parking. After gearing up, we hit the trail around 9:40 AM, 2.5 hours after leaving Hooksett.

The trail started out with a very easy grade, then crossed into the GMNF's Lye Brook Wilderness; it was my first time in a National Forest Wilderness Area outside of the Whites. After that, the grade picked up a bit, but it never got steep at all. Lye Brook was nearby the whole time, and the woods were lush.

1.8 miles into the hike, we turned right onto the trail to the falls. It dipped down 150 vertical feet in about 0.5 mile to the base of the falls. There was a steep eroded path heading to the immediate base, but just uphill was an even better viewpoint.

I was in awe at what I saw. The falls were roaring! Much bigger than I thought they would be. And to top it all off, there were some rock outcroppings which made for great rest spots and photo-ops. We spent a good 15-20 min. here just taking it all in, then headed back to the trailhead. Left at 12 PM, got back at 2:25 PM.

Long-ish drive for a short-ish hike, but the end result is well worth it, IMHO. Wasn't disappointed one bit. However, if you want even more hiking, the Lye Brook Trail continues left at the fork and goes deep into the heart of the wilderness. Miles of opportunities. Or, there's Mt. Equinox on the other side of town. Roundtrip distance was 4.6 miles with 900 ft. of elevation gain.

Here's the video recap: https://youtu.be/rr_HJGiIpuw

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Thu May 05, 2016 4:35 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Lye Brook Falls, VT- 5/5/2016
2 and a half from Hooksett; would be about three for us! Looks worth it! With the week we've been having, waterfalls are a good bet. Pretty dog! Any flowers in bloom there?

Thu May 05, 2016 7:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

WOW! That's awesome Spencer. If their weather forecast wasn't calling for rain Saturday I'd head over their. Definitely will keep this on my radar.

Thanks for the tr

Thu May 05, 2016 8:27 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Pretty awesome falls. I'd like to see this one some time. Vermont may be short on higher peaks but it has a lot of great waterfalls.

Thu May 05, 2016 9:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

And warmer than most of NH for the ones that do have swimming holes!

Fri May 06, 2016 6:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]