[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - Be Safe Out There

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Be Safe Out There 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Be Safe Out There
Just a reminder to hike safe and responsibly out there. There were quite a few incidents over the past week, some with sadder results than others.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:07 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Be Safe Out There
More like be smart than be safe. Sometimes you can be as safe/prepared as possible and those things happen and are just crap luck (like Joes ankle) and other times they are the direct result of poor decisions. The three I read about this week seem to be the latter, which unfortunately are the ones that are/were preventable.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:31 am

Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:22 pm

I didn't see Franconia Falls. I saw the Champney Falls and the two injured on Magallow requiring rescue while hiking in flip flops.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:20 pm

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:33 pm

Tragic. I've only seen the falls at lower water levels and they and the water slide part aren't that impressive. Hard to imagine what it must have looked like to sweep someone under like that.

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:52 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

It's more than three incidents recently:

Hiker rescued from Madison after hikers in group all take separate trails off summit in storm:

Hiker in Sandals rescued on Magalloway: (second flip flop related rescue in Pittsburgh in 10 days)

Unconscious hiker rescued from Mount Cube:

Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:31 am

Wow, a lot of dumb-a$$es out there these days. Excluding the last report.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:58 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Agreed. To me being smart is being safe. Safety is never a given in the outdoors, but you should do everything on your part to ensure that you are.

I've heard reports that the poor girl at Franconia falls had tried to cross at a slower portion of the brook, sad to see something so tragic happen.

The reports of people in sandals just baffle me. I don't know how that ever seems like a good idea. I don't even like to take my dogs for a walk in the woods around Portsmouth in flip-flops.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Boots on the trail for me! If I'm going in the water, the Tevas go on (Prema can do bare feet, not me!), and unless I'm close to my destination or another water crossing is coming, the boots go back on right away.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:17 pm

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:10 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Interesting pictures. I've only seen it the way it is in your last photo.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

The "Magalloway flip-flops woman" decided to wage war against all the people calling her an idiot in the comments of the WMUR article. She repeatedly defends her choice to wear sandals because "even people with proper footwear need to get rescued" and that she "pays taxes" so she paid for her rescue. I find it sad and infuriating that someone who required a rescue can't admit that they messed up.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:27 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I don't know the woman but am sure that she has many delightful and wonderful qualities, as do we all. That said, engaging comments on an Internet news story shows roughly the same level of judgment as hiking in sandals.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:58 pm

Apparently one of those delightful qualities is not being able to admit she screwed up, then again she did imply she didn't have proper footwear. And unless she got a hike safe card or has a fishing/hunting license she's probably about to find out that just paying your taxes doesn't quite cover it.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next