Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Arethusa Falls and Frankenstein Cliff 6-26-2015 
Master Mountaineer

Arethusa Falls and Frankenstein Cliff 6-26-2015
It was another great vacation up north in the ‘Playground’. We did some hiking, Geocaching and all around just enjoyed not working. That all comes to an end at 6:00AM tomorrow morning. :(
Our last hike was on Friday and we hiked Arethusa Falls and Frankenstein Cliff. The trails all week in the White’s were pretty wet and muddy, so we figured it would be a great day to see the falls. We got to the trailhead about 9AM which is a late start for us, but we knew the hike wouldn’t be a long one, so we slept in a little longer.
We started out on the Arethusa Falls Trail and headed out to the falls. The trail is well maintained and very easy to follow, trail maintenance has done a great job on this trail. The second footbridge was all that needed some work done to it. One of the boards is missing and it’s seems to be sagging.
As we got to the trail junction with the Frankenstein Cliff Trail the Arethusa Falls Trail began it’s descent and soon we could hear the falls in the distance. As we approached them it was time to find the only Geocache on the whole loop. It hadn’t been found since last September, so we weren’t sure we would find it, but we did…tough find too! :)
The falls were beautiful, our friends who were with us said that the flow was about as good as it gets there. We saved to trip hoping for a good flow and it appears to have paid off. We were able to get tons of pics and some nice video without a lot of people being there.
The hike out to Frankenstein Cliff was sort of uneventful. We hit the high point and the trail started to descend. We were a little disappointed, wondering what the big draw was for the cliffs with no views. We got some peek-a-boo views, but was hoping for something better. Well then we got to the ledge and was not disappointed anymore. It sort of reminded me of the ledges on Mount Willard, beautiful views and we had the whole place to ourselves.
Leaving the ledges we walked past the faces of the cliffs. There were some slippery spots, due to mud, wet slab and some bad footing areas, but it was doable with caution. Before we knew it we were down to Frankenstein’s Trestle, an impressive structure, that we had videoed a couple years ago during the winter with a temperature of 9 degrees. It wasn’t cold or hot on this day though. It was a perfect hiking day.
We got back to the parking lot and decide to go take the FREE ski lift ride up to Bretton Woods mid slope restaurant and have lunch. To be truthful, we were expecting overpriced, tiny portions of food. We were pleasantly surprised though. The staff is overly friendly and the food was delicious and filling. $12 for a pulled pork burger and a side, plus free refills on fountain drinks, a free ride up and down the mountain with spectacular views of the Presidentials…worth every penny! :D
The video of our day…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B6rjNF3vkY

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:21 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Arethusa Falls and Frankenstein Cliff 6-26-2015
I watched the video the other day Chuck. I really like the mountains of the Crawford Notch.
I try and get up there as much as possible....but that 2 hour ride, ya know?
Here I'm complaining, and you guys from Mass. have a really long ride up to there.

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:37 pm
Master Mountaineer

Keyz56 wrote:
I watched the video the other day Chuck. I really like the mountains of the Crawford Notch.
I try and get up there as much as possible....but that 2 hour ride, ya know?
Here I'm complaining, and you guys from Mass. have a really long ride up to there.

Yeah, we are a bit south of you, still in NH, but barely. It's a 2+ hour ride each way to Crawford Notch, but worth the ride IMHO. :D

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:40 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I never knew you could see Arethusa Falls from those cliffs. I've been there three or four times and had no idea. Strange that with modern technology they can't pinpoint the exact height of the falls. Using Google Earth I get 2220 feet near the top and 2080 in the shady little glen. If I can take a stab at it in 30 seconds maybe they can get to the bottom of this mystery somehow too! :lol:

Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:45 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Finally got this off my bucket list a while back. What a neat loop. We did it clockwise. I loved being able to see the falls from the cliff, albeit tiny frof far away. I wasn't too excited hiking down and across where the slide was. :shock:

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]