Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Hiking with pets and/or children 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Hiking with pets and/or children
Although it's been hit upon in various discussions here, I'd love to see a specific discussion on pet-friendly hikes. Suggestions for trails, equipment, supplies, and so forth.

Also one on hiking with children of different ages. I'd love to hear from experienced family hikers what equipment they use, what hikes they've found appropriate, etc.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:12 pm
Master Mountaineer

Hi Pam!

Only a year later after your fine question I'll share my 30 years hiking in the Whites. The most common of all time hikes for young families and dogs is the Coppermine Trail. This easy 2.5 mile hike (one way. round trip 3 hours!) to the lovely Bridal Veil Falls is a hike 3 -5 year olds can do. The falls are always spectacular with a great volume of water. Betty Davis got lost in there 1939 and there's a plaque dedicated to her 2nd husband Art Ainsworth who found the lost Betty in the area. And there is more to the story. Most romantic too!

Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:03 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

HI!

I'm new to NH and am hoping to get out and enjoy your mountains this summer!

Coppermine trail sounds like a nice hike. I'm interested in somewhat easy hikes for now, but no kids or (sadly) dogs, so It doesn't have to be too easy :)

Sounds like you may have some good suggestions with all your experience MtnMagic!

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:58 am

To make hiking fun with kids, you have to make it an adventure. Remember younger folks cannot hike at your pace and they often need breaks just to chill out. I always find it great when I see the young kids out there and they actually ENJOY being there. Too often you see kids that have been dragged out there and would rather be at home with the TV. Our kids like hikes with little or no elevation gain. Lonesome Lake from Lafayette campground is a good bet.

As for hiking with pets, It all depends on the animal. Dogs are great on the trail. Cats less so and fish don't last too long out there.

A good idea to take advice from MtnMagic. He know his stuff and bunches of hidden gems out there.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:10 pm
Master Mountaineer

Thanks for the good words SilentCal. Readers, please hike the Coppermine Trail to Bridal Veil Falls. It's about a 5 mile round trip which takes us less than 3 hours. Perfect for a Saturday/Sunday morning hike to end just in time for a Red Sox matinee game. It doesn't get much better than this !!

Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:23 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Thanks MM, You bet Ill add it to my "to hike" list!
Brian

Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:35 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

MtnMagic wrote:
Thanks for the good words SilentCal. Readers, please hike the Coppermine Trail to Bridal Veil Falls. It's about a 5 mile round trip which takes us less than 3 hours. Perfect for a Saturday/Sunday morning hike to end just in time for a Red Sox matinee game. It doesn't get much better than this !!

I'll have to add that to the Tripfinder!

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:28 pm
Master Mountaineer

It's a nice, gentle hike 5 miles r.t. with an easy elevation gain. The Inns nearby recommend this hike to families and on weekends you'll see plenty of folks of all ages and a few dogs enjoying the walk and the falls. One parallels the beautiful cascading Coppermine Brook for about 2/3 of the hike. One may camp in the hand-made log shelter near the falls which are beautiful in the Spring or after heavy rain. There are several spots to take a dip in the brook cool off on a hot summer's day.

So many hikes . . .
so little time!

Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:17 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Also Coppermine trail has the old hiking & skiing trail, sections still partially maintained up to Peabody Slopes and on to the west side of Cannon is near the Falls, if one knows where to look. This is a hidden gem best hiked in the snows of winter to avoid the deep bog about a mile west of the falls.

Bette Davis always spent summers in the North Country. She attended and promoted her premier movies at the Littleton opera house and enjoyed the area woods and mountains. As Magic said Bette apparently got lost half way to the falls. Local Franconia woodsman Arthur Ainsworth found and rescued Ms Davis. They fell madly in love and were soon married. Tragically he died 2 years later.

There is a bronze plaque dedicated to this rescue and love affair still mounted on a stone by the Coppermine Brook, if one knows where it is.

It reads in it's entirety <quote>:
In Memorium
to
Arthur Ainsworth
"The Keeper of Stray Ladies"
Pecketts 1939
Presented by a Grateful One

Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:00 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

good, very good!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:59 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Lost Dog
This is my first pots to this forum, and please forgive me if I am doing it wrong. You see we lost our dog while my daughter was hiking the the Osceola Trail head on Saturday, November 22nd with her black lab mix, named Maggie. :cry:

Maggie got spooked and ran away about 1 hour and 20 minutes into the hike. We hiked the trail several times on Saturday and Sunday with no luck. My wife went up with my sister-in-law on Monday and we travelled up Tripoli Road from Rt. 93 to the trail head and hiked around. While we were at the trail head the Forrest Service stopped to tell us that they were closing the road behind us. They told us to go down the Waterville Valley side and to open and close the gates and they would lock them later. We never found Maggie and now the road is closed. We hiked up to the trail head today from the gate near Waterville Valley (approx. 2.7 miles). It was full of snow. We tried to hike the trail but there are small frozen messy lakes at the bottom and we didn’t have snow shoes.

So…..I’m looking for some help from anyone who would be hiking Mt. Osceola this coming weekend. We’re hoping that Maggie is still in there somewhere. We have put flyers out around Waterville Valley, Thornton Police, Campton Police, Waterville Valley Police, Waterville Ski Area and lots of other places around Thornton and Waterville.

She is a 2 year old black lab mix and weighs around 50 pounds. She has a red collar and tags on. If anyone finds Maggie they can take her to any of the local police stations. The family that lost Maggie is the Marcus family, Saul, Beverly, Harry and Hayley. We can be reached at (617) 964-5228 or cell phone (617) 775-2682.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:10 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Jeez, I'm really sorry to hear about this. I am a total dog lover and came close to losing a lost dog once and I can totally sympathize with the hell you must be going through right now.

Please check out sardog1's post (the second one down) at http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/forums/s ... hp?t=26380 for some advice.

Best of luck at getting your pup back.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:58 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks, Sardog1
Your post was very helpful.

Regards,

Saul Marcus

Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]