Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Bear Canister Reccomendation/Advice 
Sovereign Woodsman

I agree that there are bad hang jobs out there I'm sure. We haven't backpacked a ton in NH, but one time in particular (Blue Brook in the wild River Wilderness), even though there were tons of trees, they were all spruce/pine and the branches were just not conducive at all to hanging. Since this is NH, I'm sure that is pretty common.

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:50 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

So far so good on the can order. Already shipped. Here's what I got if anyone else is seriously looking for a smaller one for just a couple days food.

http://www.derailed.com/udap-no-fed-bear-bear-resistant-container-nylon-case~p~2901r/?filterString=s~udap%2F&colorFamily=99

They had 25 % extra off yesterday (still an extra 15% today) so it only cost me 40 something dollars for the can and the case. MSRP is 70 plus another 20 usually for the case so it was like getting the combo half off. It also got Backpacker Magazined reccomendation for a weekend sized can which is perfect for most of my trips.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear-zone-bear-canisters/gear/14241?page=2

If anything goes wrong I'll let you know but so far so good so I thought I'd help anyone out with the link whos looking.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:43 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks, GG!!!! I had the steripen on my mind, too! That's the lowest price I've seen for it.

Kelly - I find these evergreens hard to deal with as well. Given the right trees, I could probably do a good hang, but why risk it?

Matt - No offense taken! My mother (who said the bears will win every time) also said, "God watches out for fools and drunks :lol:" Between that and the bear boxes at various places, I've just been blessed so far :)

Again, thanks for the link, GG. That'll fit both our budget and my pack!

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:55 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

That's a good point that often the trees around the NE aren't great for hangs, especially at higher elevations. Forgot about that issue somehow. I guess I was just thinking of the one "hang" where I saw the bag of food strapped to a tree about 5 feet off the ground (and about 6 feet from the persons' tent...). Not hung, just tied around the tree...looked like the tree had a tumor. lol!

For the reason of the often inadequate hanging trees, I've been trying to evaluate the effectiveness of the LokSaks. So far, they seem to do a good job, but I can't convince myself to trust them fully :)

GG, thanks for the link. Still seems rather large still, but I guess they have to be a minimum size. Better than carrying a whole BV or Garcia though.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Just ordered it!

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Well everything showed up and on time as promised. Very happy with the website. You never know exactly what you're going to get with these dirt cheap places but this one was just as represented.

When I got the box I said "man, that's smal"l, and then when I got the can itself out I said "man, thats surprisingly big." It holds a surprising amount of food and is packed and ready to go. If the bears don't steal it and I come back from the Daks this weekend I'll give a final review but I see no reason why it won't be great. I love the idea of the carrying case that can just strap onto the outside of a smaller pack, even though I'm stuffing it in my big pack this time.

The can and pack

My selection of healt food for the weekends trip, and there's still room for more in the thing. You can fit a surprising amount of food into an 8 x 10 canister.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks for the photo! That's some stash you have :lol:

Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:51 am

My stash survived the trip. Can is easy to lock and unlock with a key, coin or fingernail. Compact as far as cans go it held more than enough food for a couple days. My friend strapped his outside the bag and got by with a small pack that way. I brought my big pack and just slid it inside. No reason not to give it a great review.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2