...More Topics...
 Books

Important Book!

Search

Search hike-nh.com
Search WWW

Hike-NH.com
Your Source for NH Hiking Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hike-NH.com Forum Index

Jefferson via Six Husbands Trail

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hockeyguy33
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Jefferson via Six Husbands Trail Reply with quote

Hey, I'm planning on doing some hiking tomorrow in the presidentials and I was wondering what condition this trail was in. Would it be feasible for a day hike to go up the Six Husbands trail to Mount Jefferson then over to Mount Washington and down Tuckermans Ravine trail?
andy
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. Found my way back here for the first time in a while.

That trip sounds doable to me. Although on a day that is supposed to be pretty hot and humid, it will be a pretty tough day. Six Husbands is a beast. Thunderstorms might be a bit of a concern (don't know, I haven't checked the forecast) as there really isn't any good, quick way to get below treeline. And coming up that side of the ridge you wont be able to see any incoming weather. Get an early start. Like pick a time you think is early, then start about 2 or 3 hours before that.
madmattd
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a long haul, but if you've done long miles in the Whites, it's doable. 6 Husbands is supposed to be a heck of a climb, but once you get up to Jefferson, it's not so bad.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/
IQuest
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good, burly loop. I will suggest starting as close to sunrise as possible. I'm not sure what the mileage is, but Six Husbands and the upper half of Tuckerman Ravine Tr will take more time than expected. It's also 4.5 mi along the Great Gulf Tr to the bottom of the Six Husbands Tr. Once on Jefferson, if the weather gets bad or you're running behind schedule, you can descend along the Sphinx Tr. I did a Six Husband/Sphinx Tr loop years ago and although steep, the Sphinx Tr was fairly sheltered.
hockeyguy33
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I decided to wait until a cooler day to do this, I don't want to be this trails seventh husband. It's suppose to be a little better tomorrow so we'll see.
madmattd
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a TR from June on the 6 Husbands/Sphinx loop to give you an idea: http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=5041

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/
GlennS
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a loop hike of Jefferson and Washington in June 2007 from Pinkham.

I hiked Old Jackson road to Madison Gulf to Great Gulf to Six Husbands to Gulfside to Mt. Washington and down Lion Head. I started about 8:00AM and finished about 8:00PM. If I had the choice, I would go down Tuckerman Ravine instead of Lion Head. I didn't have the choice since Tucks was still closed for the season.

For me, it was a tough hike. When I topped out on Six Husbands and reached the gulfside, I decided that I had been to Jefferson before and that I would take a pass on the Jefferson Summit this trip. As I sat at the Six Husbands-Gulfside junction, I remember my heart sinking when I saw the sign on the Gulf Side that said that Mt. Washington was 3.5 miles. I still had about seven and a half miles to go and I had had pretty much run out of steam. I pushed on and the Gulfside miles went by quickly and I reached the Mt Washington summit at 5:00. I was sitting in the cafeteria having a snack and thinking about the fun I would have on the descent of the Lion Head Trail. The descent went well and I was back to Pinkham just before 8:00.

I can't remember the final stats but it was something like 16 miles. On a toughness scale I would say that it was much harder than a Bond Traverse. The weather was perfect with clear skies, no humidity and no bugs.

It was a fantastic hike. I'm sure you'll a great time.

Happy Trails,
Glenn
Granite Guy
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a similar trip back in June and posted a lengthy trip report on it somewhere around here if you're interested. We went up 6 husbands over Washington and down Boott Spur. It was a long trip on a hot humid day and took about 12 hours counting a long stop at the top but if you're in good shape should be no problem. We are in good but by no means great shape and had no problems so its definitely doable.
hockeyguy33
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granite Guy wrote:
I did a similar trip back in June and posted a lengthy trip report on it somewhere around here if you're interested. We went up 6 husbands over Washington and down Boott Spur. It was a long trip on a hot humid day and took about 12 hours counting a long stop at the top but if you're in good shape should be no problem. We are in good but by no means great shape and had no problems so its definitely doable.

I found your trip report, good stuff. That picture of the ladder and the rock scramble got me excited. It looks like if you can make it up the six husbands trail it won't be too hard the rest of the way.

Would it be worth it to bring a pair of shorts to swim in, the water must be freezing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hike-NH.com Forum Index -> Trip Suggestions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: