Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

 

 

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

       
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:32 am



Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 July 15: Calling all small dog peakbaggers and their friends 
Author Message
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:00 pm
Posts: 584
Location: Boston
Reply with quote
 July 15: Calling all small dog peakbaggers and their friends
Join Zoe, the mighty Shih Tzu (10 4ks, 16lbs), and Sophie the mini poodle (11 4ks, 10lbs) and hopefully a host of other small but mighty little hikers (only dogs under 25 lbs please, unaffiliated humans welcome) as we climb Mt Jackson and Mt Webster on Sunday July 15. Only friendly dogs (and friendly humans) please.

This hike is to one of the easier NH 4 ks, but is still a serious hike. It does have some slabs near the top (see below for total distance and elevation). This should not be your first NH 4k hike, nor your dog's, unless you are prepared to carry him or her for most of the trip. Make sure to bring plenty of water (3 liters or so) and a bowl for your pup plus something for you both to eat. We'll have lunch on top and my plan is to also bring some goodies to share with thru-hikers.

We will meet at the Jackson/Webster trailhead on Rt 302 in Crawford Notch at 8:45 for boots on the trail by 9:00am. We will not be rushing this hike. Plan on a leisurely pace. Frivolities of all kinds are welcome and encouraged as are other providers of trail magic. And don't forget your cameras.

If you are interested in joining us please send me an email (or a pm, email preferred with subject line small dog hike) with your name, your dog's name (if you are bringing one, which is not necessary), your dog's approximate weight and any previous peakbagging experience, anyone else who will be coming with you, your cell, and an emergency contact. My email is phwilmot at gmail dot com (spelling it out helps to foil crawlers). Rain will cancel this hike. We currently do not have a rain date but will try to reschedule.

Book times and distance are below, but we will be taking at least an hour more. Please join us!

Jackson and Webster
Distance 6.50 mi
Time 4 hr 42 min
Elev Gain +2876 ft
Elev Loss -2876 ft

Jackson up and back
Distance 5.20 mi
Time 3 hr 53 min
Elev Gain +2547 ft
Elev Loss -2547 ft


Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:38 am
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:56 pm
Posts: 1442
Location: Canaan, NH
Reply with quote
 
Sounds like a great time. Unfortunately at 55 lbs Marlie does not qualify. :( Good luck to all and Kudos (not the granola bars although they are tasty) for your trail magic. I'm sure you will make somone's day. :D

_________________
Ian


Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:26 am
Profile
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:00 pm
Posts: 584
Location: Boston
Reply with quote
 
IQuest wrote:
Sounds like a great time. Unfortunately at 55 lbs Marlie does not qualify. :( Good luck to all and Kudos (not the granola bars although they are tasty) for your trail magic. I'm sure you will make somone's day. :D


Sorry Ian and Marlie! :( I hope to see you another time.


Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:00 pm
Profile
Leg Burner
Leg Burner
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:28 am
Posts: 63
Reply with quote
 
Zoe is so excited!!!!! We can't wait.

Ian - we will have to plan another hike for ALL dogs, but right now we just want to see all the little ones together climbing a 4K.

Sara(and Zoe)


Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:29 pm
Profile
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:11 pm
Posts: 51
Location: Twin Mountain
Reply with quote
 
Sounds like alot of fun. Wish I had a dog :cry: .


Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:40 pm
Profile
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:00 pm
Posts: 584
Location: Boston
Reply with quote
 
rwy wrote:
Sounds like alot of fun. Wish I had a dog :cry: .


You can join the fun without a dog! Particularly if you will help with the icecream sandwiches. :wink: It's just the bigger dogs that are disinvited :roll: Sorry Marlie. The little dogs are intimidated and often act weird around the big ones.


Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:12 am
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 2364
Location: Natick, MA
Reply with quote
 
Pam wrote:
The little dogs are intimidated and often act weird around the big ones.


Haha most little dogs I've know have tried to act tough and beat up the big dogs (at least verbally) :D

_________________
NH 4K x6 || NH W4K || NE4K || NEHH || WNE4K 64/67 || 52WAV 19/52

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/


Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:35 am
Profile
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:00 pm
Posts: 584
Location: Boston
Reply with quote
 
madmattd wrote:

Haha most little dogs I've know have tried to act tough and beat up the big dogs (at least verbally) :D


Yeah, that's probably the most common example. They are actually quieter around their own kind. :wink: LOL


Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:11 am
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:56 pm
Posts: 1442
Location: Canaan, NH
Reply with quote
 
No worries. I know what you mean by acting "weird". If Cooper were still around I would definately bring him (5lbs). I look forward to seeing some pics of the little troopers.

_________________
Ian


Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:06 am
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:22 pm
Posts: 1983
Location: Boise, ID
Reply with quote
 
I just had a mental image of all the little dogs parading up to the summit...which reminded me of the "Krewe of Barkus" parade in NOLA each Mardi Gras...

https://www.google.com/search?q=krewe+o ... 40&bih=805

Needless to say, my work day has been very productive today.

_________________
NH4ks 48x3
W48

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.


Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:50 am
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 2364
Location: Natick, MA
Reply with quote
 
KellyK wrote:
I just had a mental image of all the little dogs parading up to the summit...


Ah, so I wasn't the only one? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fridays are never productive at work ;) Especially on a holiday week.

_________________
NH 4K x6 || NH W4K || NE4K || NEHH || WNE4K 64/67 || 52WAV 19/52

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/


Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 am
Profile
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:00 pm
Posts: 584
Location: Boston
Reply with quote
 
KellyK wrote:
I just had a mental image of all the little dogs parading up to the summit...which reminded me of the "Krewe of Barkus" parade in NOLA each Mardi Gras...

https://www.google.com/search?q=krewe+o ... 40&bih=805

Needless to say, my work day has been very productive today.


LOL. Yeah the little dogs parading to the summit was kinda the idea, although we weren't planning on dog costumes. I might wear one though. Perhaps we should embrace the Mardi Gras spirit and have costumes for everyone!


Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:19 pm
Profile
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:00 pm
Posts: 584
Location: Boston
Reply with quote
 
I know this is WAY overdue, but it's been a busy time for me at work and on the trail. No time for trip reports! Anyway, we had a great trip. Unfortunately because the forecast was for 40% chance of thunderstorms and warm humid weather, everyone cancelled but my family and Scot and his daughter Vanessa and their dog Shiva. It was a great hike. The forecast storms took the 60% route and did not materialize and the heat was manageable.

Here is a shot of the two canine hikers-- Sophie and Shiva (Sophie had a recent haircut for the heat)
Image

Scott shows the girls where we are going on the map at the first real rest stop by the falls. Water is really low!
Image

Steve and Scott head to the summit of Jackson
Image

I carried what started out as 20lbs of dry ice and 3 boxes of icecream sandwiches. We shared our treat with 3 thru hikers, some section hikers and a bunch of day hikers. Refreshing! And my water was nice and cold! Steve shows off his icecream to Vanessa
Image

Despite the threatening skies it never did rain Image

We all had a good time and Melissa and I had a great dip in the river near Bartlett. Awesome swimmin hole!

We'll try this again, hopefully with more folks.


Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:55 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Hike-NH.com based on STSoftware.