Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 What Brand of Hiking Boot/Shoe do you Prefer? It's a Poll 

What's your Brand?
Asolo  22%  [ 8 ]
Hi-Tec  0%  [ 0 ]
Keen  14%  [ 5 ]
L.L. Bean  17%  [ 6 ]
Limmer  8%  [ 3 ]
Lowa  6%  [ 2 ]
Merrell  28%  [ 10 ]
North Face  0%  [ 0 ]
Vasque  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 36

What Brand of Hiking Boot/Shoe do you Prefer? It's a Poll 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

My hubby and I both love our Salomons

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:09 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I also have the LL Bean boots. Currently Crestas but have had 4 or 5 different models. They are very comfortable which is my first priority when picking out a boot. They have all been durable, reasonalbly priced and needless to say if something goes wrong with them, like say a lace hook comes out or the sole starts to peel off, they are replaced immediately no questions asked. Even with slightly lighter or more comfortable boots out there it'd be hard to beat that overall package.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:16 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Had a pair of Vasques that I loved. They lasted forever then gave up the ghost on top of Monadanock last year a week before a scheduled week-long backpack. I tried on every boot in EMS and REI and went with Asolo Styngers. (The new Vasques were too sneaker-like) The backpack (just over 50 miles) went off without a blister or hot spot despite not being able to break them in at all. I see lots of women on the trail with these boots. Great deals on Asolos at Sierra Trading Post, particularly if you sign up for their email discounts. I have a low-volume, low arch, narrow heal and wear custom orthotics. Different brands are better for different feet, for example I read that Merrells are great for folks with somewhat wider feet.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:23 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Keen Targhee Mid II. Had them for 2 years. Can't complain. Very waterproof.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

My husband bought me EMS boots about 10 yrs ago and they fit like a glove and are waterproof. They are starting to get worn (they have a vibram sole), but I am gonna wear them until the sole is completely worn which will likely take 10 more yrs since I hike less than you guys and don't winter hike. My previous pair were Merrill's an I loved those they lasted a long time but the soul got too worn and I just about killed myself in them hiking down tripyramid slide!

Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:56 am

I am on my second pair of Vasque Breezes. Good fit, lightweight. My first pair got a severe beating and I was surprised how long they lasted me. They are now my backup pair that I use when my second pair is drying out.

Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:26 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

A suggestion ...

My feet are very hard to fit; I had some EMS boots that were great, so naturally EMS discontinued them.

Then after a near-panic scramble, found some New Balance boots.
Those were discontinued very soon after I bought the first pair.

If you have boots you really like , get at least one extra pair now while you can still get 'em and have some breathing room before needing another pair...

It's not a waste of $, unless you stop hiking, in which case you have bigger problems than an unused $200 pair of boots ... trivial compared to spending days at the boot store not hiking because your old boots are worn out :)[/b]

Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:28 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I have a pair of Asolo Stynger GTX boots.... Out of the choices I had they fit the best. I wear them for hiking and in winter for short snowshoeing treks...as well as walking the dog in the snow etc. They are starting to look a little rough but they get a lot of use.
I also own merrell sneakers and keen shoes that are awesome, but I do not hike in them other then my local state forests here in Southern Mass. :D

How about insoles? Anyone use different insoles in their boots vs the stock ones?

Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:58 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Put on my first pair of Merrels 25 years ago and have been wearing Merrels ever since...with the exception of these
New Balance 977 - technically a 'walking' shoe but very rugged and very comforable.

Last edited by Gary on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:46 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I just switched to a pair a technica trail runners. Price was right on backcountry.com so I bought a pair. Like them so far. Haven't put too many miles on them yet.

I used to use NF hedgehogs and like them alot. They held up great and are still water proof. Three years on them and the soles are flat, hence the need to retire them to yard work detail. I would buy them again.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:03 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Zamberlan's for ankle support. Just got some Patagonia trail runners recently that work nicely.
Will not buy Vasque again even if it was the last shoe company left.

Greg

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:58 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I just bought a pair of vasque. I had no plans to. I went to ll bean to look at/maybe buy a pair of cresta's. I was just at the concord outlet store so the selection is pitiful. They seem like great boots, vortex, vibram. A little higher than my present boots, but il give them a try. I also got a smart wool sweater. Two weak moments.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:25 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I'm another trail runner convert. Never thought it would be the case, but due to knee issues, I figured I would try some lighter footwear. I tried some Innov-8's, but they just didn't fit my low volume narrow feet.

I came across some Montrail Mountain Massochists at 50% off at EMS last spring. I slipped them on, and they felt great. Been wearing them since. 2 backpack trips, and plenty of hikes on rough terrain including the Northern Presi's. I also picked up the same shoe in a Goretex version for Spring/Fall. I plan on wearing the runners from March to December- then using my Cabelas Snowrunners for the Winter (400g insulated hiking boot).

They may not be for everyone, but you'll never know until you try.......

stay thirsty
Petch

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:30 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I have a couple of Merrells and one of those North Face hike shoes. Though I would still go with the Merrell at any given day, I just liked how the North Face looked, not like that you are going fashion while hiking.

A couple of my buds are really fancying trying out different brands and I think that their answer would just be the same as mine.

Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I've been in Merrell Chameleon Mids (day hikers) for a few years now, and have never had a blister or a rub. I did break off a lace hook this summer on the summit of Owls Head. I've also got their Mesa Ventilators for trailrunning and Jungle Mocs for kickin' around. (I'm that sort that hates wearing a shoe for one second to do something it isn't meant for). It isn't the brand that matters to me but the fit. I finally went in for some new backpackers so I ordered a pair of Zamberlan Steep GT 260s and may take them up Carrigain this weekend.

Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next