Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Dog Booties / Boots / Shoes / Foot Protection 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Dog Booties / Boots / Shoes / Foot Protection
With my dogs being accident prone and also clumsy I decided to invest in these Dog Booties or whatever they are called. Both my dogs have pink/Light colored Pads so I know they are more sensitive than others.

What brand and/or type of Dog Boots does everyone use? I see some ranging from $20 to $150. Anyone have better luck with a certain brand? Are some more comfortable than others?

Also...

How exactly do you fit a dog shoe? Snug? or loose on the Paw? And how do you get them used to it just from use?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Although I do not have boties for my dog I believe Ruff Wear makes some nice ones. (That is where I got her jacket.) I would think that they should fit snug and more $ spent should get you a better fit. Don't quote me on that as every dog's feet are different, just like people. I would start off wearing them close to home, then maybe for short sections of the trail until they are used to them.

Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:32 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I have two different sets... the Ruffwear ones are nice but expensive...and they fall off my dogs feet. They were cute, but didn't help much if I was picking them up behind her. I then got a pair of Ultra Paws (http://www.ultrapaws.com) and they stayed on SO much better. They have this foam or neoprene at the top that holds the boot on the leg. I just wish they had a little lining for the cold. My dog gets very cold.. the boots I got keep the snow out of her toes. lol

For Ruffwear I swear by their harness and packs. Those are just awesome!
Good luck!

Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:49 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Oh boy, I on a whim purchased at the Agway in Plymouth a pair of large bright orange nylon w/velcro straps booties for $20 + bucks REGRETTABLY! I have a large golden retriever/great pyranese with webbed feet and lots of hair on toes causing him to ball up badly. Well, tried putting them on and he WAS NOT happy, quickly losing one in 4 ft of snow! I wanted to return them but couldn't find the damn thing even though I saw exactly where it fell off! It reappeared finally in April all filthy and gross, but I doubt I will put them on him again and probably won't return it now. I have no idea what the brand was, but the clerk said a lot of hunters use them and they are popular. I guess it was worth the $20.00 to get the absolute hilarious belly laugh of watching this dog try to walk in them!!!

Guess I don't have any advice just thought I'd share my experience. Oh, BTW, he was not going to have ANYTHING to do with wearing them again, which I couldn't honestly blame him!!!

Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:42 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Yeah my girl is reluctant at best in her boots. That is until we play or go walking then she forgets about them.
I would suggest if you decide on a pair plan some immediate fun in them. What ever your dog likes best... and LOTS of treats!

And post some video for the rest of us... because there is nothing quite as funny as them putting them on the first time and seeing the walk that they do. Its almost cruel.... :oops:

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:06 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Check out:

dogbooties.com

We use them on our Alaskan Husky, a 2006 Iditarod finisher and he does fine with them. Simple and cheap. Although, he does not like having them put on and walks funny at first, once we get going, he's fine...

link:

http://www.dogbooties.com/dogbooties.html

12 / 52 WAV
153 / 875 NCT

Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:39 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Quote:
Yeah my girl is reluctant at best in her boots. That is until we play or go walking then she forgets about them.
I would suggest if you decide on a pair plan some immediate fun in them. What ever your dog likes best... and LOTS of treats!

And post some video for the rest of us... because there is nothing quite as funny as them putting them on the first time and seeing the walk that they do. Its almost cruel....

Full agree with everything above with one further suggestion. Get booties with double velcro straps at the top. I am unsure what brand we use, but our dog can go for hours in the snow with the double strap booties, we have not lost one yet.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:36 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Good advice!

Don't be afraid to make them VERY tight. I lost (and found) some booties early on because I was afraid to over tighten...

12 / 52 WAV
153 / 875 NCT

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:09 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I bought a set of boots last year for my dog because winter hiking causes snow balls and Im sure her feet get cold too. The boots were great and she seemed to get a benefit from them. Couple of pointers that worked for me. Lots of treats the first time she wore them. We wore them around the house a couple times for very short periods to learn how to get them on. We took short walks in the snow before hiking in them also. Kind of a break in. I did find that I had to put them on at the trail head last minute and then get moving. Any standing around led to trying to remove them with our teeth. They have traction but not much compared to toe nails so they can be prohibitive. They worked best in the fluffy snow but failed miserably on ice.

Good luck
Heather

Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]