...More Topics...
 Books

Important Book!

Search

Search hike-nh.com
Search WWW

Hike-NH.com
Your Source for NH Hiking Discussion

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hike-NH.com Forum Index

what and where is the 4000 footers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heather1377
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had to chime in here. Yesterday my dog and I did three presidentials that got her up to 45 of the 48. She has been hiking since 7 months old. We started slow and she is very fit. Not a tank like some dogs. We will finish next week on Owls Head together. I have never known a bond that runs so deep. She let me carry her up ladders. I could taste the trust. Our journey has been long but a great source of pride. We started the 4's together on Mt Washington August 13th 2008.
Heather
IQuest
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan on doing much hiking inthe White Mountains, I highly suggest you get an AMC White Mountain Guide. The best single resource out there IMO. In the back of the book is a list of the 4000 footers. You can also check out this link: http://www.amc4000footer.org/

As far as dogs completing the list, many have. My dog Marlie finished last August. After mailing in her application she recieved a certificate and patch just like a human. (I would have liked to see a paw print or something on it to show that it was for a dog.) There is at least one somewhat dog friendly way to the top of each mountain so it's really just a matter of getting out there. Happy trails.
HardcoreIdiot
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Hampshire wrote:
As my friends here will agree, my life is an endless string of random things just jumping out at the oddest times. Laughing

Brian

And they are mostly from his backside!! Cool

Greg
Salty
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Hampshire wrote:
As my friends here will agree, my life is an endless string of random things just jumping out at the oddest times. Laughing

Yup. Very Happy

Trekking for a Cure Donations

Trekking for a Cure on FB
bsinc1962
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit I was a little scared the I.T. guy here at work would turn me in if I picked on the puffytacos link.
Bastiansmama
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heather1377 wrote:
I just had to chime in here. Yesterday my dog and I did three presidentials that got her up to 45 of the 48. She has been hiking since 7 months old. We started slow and she is very fit. Not a tank like some dogs. We will finish next week on Owls Head together. I have never known a bond that runs so deep. She let me carry her up ladders. I could taste the trust. Our journey has been long but a great source of pride. We started the 4's together on Mt Washington August 13th 2008.
Heather

I have read a few other say they had to carry their dog up a ladder. Im about 105 pounds and my god is 80-85.. Im not sure how this would work. If I had another person would it be possible to kind of pass her up?? She is a large dog but I have taken her hiking since she was about 10 weeks old and most of our hiking was desert hiking. She loves it!!!!!! She can go all day whether its hiking or swimming so Im not concerned about that but these ladders are of concern. With that being said there are alot of people who have hiked and finished all 48 with their dogs and there must be some big dogs. Any advice is helpful. I am going to take several peoples advice and get the AMC .
Bastiansmama
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IQuest wrote:
If you plan on doing much hiking inthe White Mountains, I highly suggest you get an AMC White Mountain Guide. The best single resource out there IMO. In the back of the book is a list of the 4000 footers. You can also check out this link: http://www.amc4000footer.org/

As far as dogs completing the list, many have. My dog Marlie finished last August. After mailing in her application she recieved a certificate and patch just like a human. (I would have liked to see a paw print or something on it to show that it was for a dog.) There is at least one somewhat dog friendly way to the top of each mountain so it's really just a matter of getting out there. Happy trails.

what kind of dog do you have. Mine is about 80-85 pounds and I am worried about getting her up a ladder.. Any advice
Bastiansmama
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsinc1962 wrote:
I have to admit I was a little scared the I.T. guy here at work would turn me in if I picked on the puffytacos link.

lol
BobC
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastiansmama wrote:
IQuest wrote:

what kind of dog do you have. Mine is about 80-85 pounds and I am worried about getting her up a ladder.. Any advice

I don't think there are any 4000-footers where you're absolutely required to go up ladders. Many of them have different trail approaches, so you can just avoid the trails that have ladders. Pick up a copy of the AMC White Mountain Guide and be sure to thoroughly read the trail descriptions before any planned hike, and you'll know what you're in for on the trail.

One other note...some will say I'm picky for pointing this out but I think it makes a big difference. Many times I will see people on hiking forums say "ladders" when they really mean stairs. There are many hiking trails that have sections of stairs to get over a particularly steep section of trail. A ladder is something you need to use both hands and feet for...a set of stairs isn't. I'm pretty sure any dog can make it up a set of stairs. So just avoid trails that have ladders and you'll be fine.
heather1377
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with BobC. There are other ways up. I had been up the Northern Presi's before and wanted to do them from a different trl. Also, being a holiday I wanted to take the path least traveled. I liked the challenge and the opportunity to work one on one with my dog. I'm 145, 5'4". We are more 'set-up' for me to be carrying her. She was right there with me the whole time helping out and obeying. She wanted those peaks as much as I.
Jefferson is a tough one from any direction, with that said.
Happy Trails,
Heather
Bastiansmama
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMC guide it is Smile thanks fellow hikers !!!
IQuest
Sovereign Woodsman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastiansmama wrote:

Marlie is a 53lb boxer/german shepherd mix. I call her a boxerd. As the others have said most "ladders" are steep wooden stairs. I can't recall any of them that were completely vertical. From what I have seen it is usually more difficult for dogs to go down than up. Sometimes it is easier for them to go through the scrub on the sides. The key is being able to work with your dog. Make them comfortable in situations when they need a boost so that the are relaxed and will sit still and/or move when needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hike-NH.com Forum Index -> 4,000 Footers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: