[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - mt carrigan

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 mt carrigan 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

mt carrigan
thinking of hiking up signal ridge trail and camping out near fire observatory platform---any thoughts : :)

Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:47 am
Sovereign Woodsman

The summit of Carragain is not within the Pemi Wilderness. The boundary is just a short distance down the Desolation Tr. About 1/4 mi before the summit alongthe Signal Ridge Tr there is a spring at the site of an old camp. There should be some level ground there. I believe that Signal Ridge I believe is an alpine zone, so unless there is two feet of snow, you can not camp there legally.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:05 am
Sovereign Woodsman

There are "illegal" campsites just below the summit, off to the left as you are approaching. I have seen people camp there before, as well as signs of recent activity. I have also seen a ranger heading up there presumably to give the campers a slap on their wrists, or whatever it is rangers do to illegal campers.

Tim

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:12 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:25 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:49 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:52 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Too close to the trail is reason enough, is it not? The Wilderness boundary is in the shadow of the tower, at the top of the Desolation Trail:

Tim

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:16 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Yes, too close to the trail is reason enough. What is the rule, 200 feet? IMO it should be at least out of sight from the trail.

Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:48 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:12 am
Sovereign Woodsman

From http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_m ... 008-09.pdf:

TRAVEL AND CAMP ON DURABLE
SURFACES
Stay on the trail while hiking. Camp at
sites which have already been heavily
impacted, (but be sure it’s a legal site); or
200’ from trails and water sources. Avoid
moderately impacted sites where your
visit could create more damage.

I think the interpretation (mine) has always been "just because the site is impacted doesn't make it legal. Impacted sites closer than 200 feet from the trail were illegal to start with and may be illegal still." The spots in question are not 200' from the trail.

Since I am not a camper/backpacker, I'm not certain.

Tim

Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:20 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I had a conversation with a ranger about sites like this which I stumbled across while looking for a stealth site. It is in a wilderness area and met all distance requirements. But as you can clearly see does not meet the "leave no trace".

He said they have 2 schools of thoughts on these sites. This one is obviously heavily used and may clearly be lessening the impact of other spots in the area. So maybe it's best just to leave it so it will continue to minimize impact to other ares. And just to cover his butt, he could not say that it was legal in the respects of leaving a trace. I did describe the site but did not tell him where it was. He did not ask either. :wink:

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:12 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

[quote="bikehikeskifish"]
I think the interpretation (mine) has always been "just because the site is impacted doesn't make it legal. Impacted sites closer than 200 feet from the trail were illegal to start with and may be illegal still." [/quote

The 200 foot rule is not universal. It only applies to the Pemi, Dry River, and GG Wilderness areas, a few bodies of water, and a handful of trails(other places like water, trailheads, shelters, and roads can have a quarter mile rule though)

more recent regs http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_m ... es_web.pdf

Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:01 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I didn't realize that they had changed the regs either. Might come in handy to know at some point.

Without knowing where Joes mystery site is it could still be legal. I don't even know if LNT was ever actually a rule/law or just an ethics guideline. I always thought it was the latter.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:15 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Last edited by scooter on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next