Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Final decision on an Osprey pack 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Final decision on an Osprey pack
Hey guys, buying a new pack on friday and I am stumped on what I want to buy. It was a toss up between the Aether 60 or the Exos 58. Both are VERY comfortable one me. Now, I am considering the Aether 70 but don't want to go overboard. A lot of my backpacking will be with my girlfriend which means a 2 person tent as well as some extra gear and food. I will also be doing some solo stuff and possibly using the pack on some back country fly fishing trips. I doubt I will do anything longer than a week at a time this year as I will be helping my girlfriend get in to backpacking as this will be her first year. I really can not decide on if I want the 60 or the 70. She will also be carrying a Gregory Jade 60 with her own gear.

This pack will also be used for weekend trips for now.

I do plan on getting the Aether 85 next year for some 2 week fly fishing trips.

Thank you for any input.

Wed May 11, 2011 9:58 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Since you've said they are comfortable, i think price and feasibility are the next step. I don't think on overnights you can ever have too much space unless you ultralight.

Thu May 12, 2011 5:18 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Not having seen or used either, I can comment only on the fact that I have two Ospreys, both are comfortable, both are durable, and I like them both a lot. Exos has the airspeed suspension (mesh backpanel) which definitely helps with "moisture management" (I produce a lot of "moisture").

I have a Stratos 40 - for winter or longer day trips or when taking stuff for the whole family and a Talon 22 for warmer weather day trips. I do not camp.

Tim

Thu May 12, 2011 6:06 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I have 3 Ospreys and love them all.

http://www.rei.com/product/780219/osprey-exos-46-pack

http://www.rei.com/product/780217/osprey-atmos-65-pack

http://www.rei.com/product/764214/osprey-argon-85-pack

Not cheap packs but durable and extremely comfortable.

Thu May 12, 2011 7:55 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I have an Osprey men's pack. I THINK it's an Aether. But I do know that it's a 70. I manage to fill it up on both overnights and winter hikes. I could probably get by with a 60, but the 70 works just fine. Figure that I'd rather have extra space than not enough. And I got it off Steep and Cheap so I didn't have a choice ;)

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Thu May 12, 2011 9:18 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I'll also throw a thumbs up for the Ospreys. I had a Kestral 48, which was a great pack. Only went backpacking with it once, and it carried nice with about 30lbs. I was going through a "Lightweight" phase (insert unsolicited rude comment here) last summer and sold the Kestral and bought an Exos 46 like Joe. The thing is lighter than most day packs half it's volume. Used it last summer and all winter. Haven't gone backpacking with it yet, but plan to this summer. It has these neat loops that allow the transportation of pink flamingo's quite nicely!
I've lightened up on a lot of gear to try to save my knees- So, yeah technically I'm a closet "Weight Weenie" to some degree......... I saw a AT thru hiker on Madison last summer with an Exos 58, and he was very happy with his pack after about 2K miles.

Petch

Thu May 12, 2011 12:23 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Glad to see you on here Petch! I've always enjoyed your reports on VFTT. Pete and I met you in the parking lot for....Nineteen Mile Brook maybe? I think? Either way, welcome to hike-nh!

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Thu May 12, 2011 12:26 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Thx Kelly- yes we did meet last fall at NMB parking lot. I was waiting for a ride. Yes, they've allowed me to join this forum, but I'm on double secret probation. I've had to install a curse-extracting software filter. So far, it ^%$&ing seems to be working pretty &^*$ing good. Time will tell.....

Now back to our originally scheduled thread.....

Thu May 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

GAHHHHHHH! Petch is stalking me! Petch is stalking me! Will I ever be flamingo free?!!!! :wink:

Cool seeing you here dude! You might remember me as the guy who used to hike. Maybe some gelatenous SPAM goo would help me.

<driftus>On an off note, anyone going up I-89, someone must be paying his yearly tribute to Petch. Just after exit 5 going north, look to the right, and you'll see a whole flock of flamingos. They're not dead, they're merely stunned. Better hurry, the memorial day flag should be out soon, followed by the July 4 cannon. I forget what's between that and the Go Sox scarecrow. In any case, I like this guy's style.</driftus>

Thu May 12, 2011 1:54 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Osprey's are great. I have 2. About which one to get for backpacking? The more space there is, the more likely I think me, you or just about anybody is to fill it up with stuff you might not really need, and I personally, would opt for the smaller one.

Thu May 12, 2011 2:11 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Salty wrote:
<driftus>On an off note, anyone going up I-89, someone must be paying his yearly tribute to Petch. Just after exit 5 going north, look to the right, and you'll see a whole flock of flamingos. They're not dead, they're merely stunned. Better hurry, the memorial day flag should be out soon, followed by the July 4 cannon. I forget what's between that and the Go Sox scarecrow. In any case, I like this guy's style.</driftus>

oh you spoiler. I saw that too and was going to get a picture of it before I said anything.

Thu May 12, 2011 4:01 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks guys, I too agree that Ospreys are AWESOME packs. I have a few and love them all. I have one Gregory day pack and even though they copied all of Ospreys designs, I am not crazy about it at all. This is just my personal preferance. Their bigger packs also just don't fit me well. I think I am down to my original 2, the exos 58 or the Aether 60. I will be getting it at REI so maybe I will try out one and if I am not 100% happy, I will give the other one a shot the following weekend. Decisions like this can be tough!!!

Last edited by Jeep Guy on Thu May 12, 2011 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 12, 2011 5:16 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I have used an osprey pack, but the pack I have now for weekend/week trips is the women's llbean white mountain pack. although it is heavy it is extremely comfy and has extra features. They also sell this men's size. my dad has it and he loves it!

Being Clueless is how you get smarter!

Thu May 12, 2011 7:13 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

pack
I have a gregory whitney ,love it !

Fri May 13, 2011 7:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Steve wrote:
Salty wrote:

oh you spoiler. I saw that too and was going to get a picture of it before I said anything.

Heh heh, you mean for once I'm ahead of something? He's been doing this for years, but it's easy to miss if you're not looking for it.

Fri May 13, 2011 11:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next