Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Double Posts 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Double Posts
I seem to get more "double posts" than I should... and I notice it happens to a few other people too. Yesterday I had a double post that even had someone elses post between my posts. (The times show there were like ten minutes between my first and second post of the "double".
Is this something that is just a bug in the system here or am I doing something wrong. I believe it has happened while using both my phone and my laptop. But I know for sure that last nights oddity was while using my phone.
I will keep a closer eye on what Im doing... but Ive already stopped using the "back" button in case that was what was causing it.
If anyone has a way for this to stop, Id appreciate hearing it.
Thanks.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

It has happened to me a handful of times before. All but one time I can remember it was when using my phone. The other I clicked post and nothing happened so I did it again and got the double.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Thanks. So maybe it is only happening when using my phone. I will pay attention and see if I can figure out if theres a certain thing I do each time that causes it.
Sorry, in the meantime, for any doubles.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:31 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Don't double-click post, that's usually the cause of them. Of course, if it doesn't appear to have posted after a minute or two, well, idk what to tell you lol.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:47 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Hahaha. Luckily on my phone it doesnt allow me to double click it. Once I touch it, it highlights and is gone. Havent had a problem with it taking any time to post. It seems to be immediate every time.
Im starting to think maybe I used my phones "back" button the times it happened.
Im now using the link below the new post to "return to index" instead. Hopefully that fixes the issue.
As far as I can tell, that is the only thing I do different between my phone and laptop. And may also be the only explanation as to it posting twice ten minutes apart last night. If I hit the back button a bunch of times it may have brought my phone through the posting screen again and in effect caused it to perform that operation twice.
My best guess at this time anyways...

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:56 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I don't even have a cell phone. I'm a real 1993 kind of guy. ;)

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:01 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

They are dangerously addictive. We did away with our landlines a while back. I dont even check email on the laptop anymore. All email goes direct to this phone for me. Really helps with getting back to customers right away. Also allows me to photo any work or issues and send a photo and info direct to a customer at work to keep them up to date.
Or on a day like today, when Im killing time between looking at jobs to quote, I can pass the time on-line while sitting in a parking lot. Haha.
My first cell phone (94-95?) was one of those big bag phones with a corded handset... and it had trouble getting a mere phone signal. Half the time, I had to put an extension antenna on the roof of my truck!
Now Im using a touchscreen phone that performs far more functions with far more speed than most of the computers Ive ever owned. Crazy how fast technology moves along.
Now if only they would invent a 3/4 ton pickup that could haul a work trailer and not guzzle gas/diesel at @$4 a gallon.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:14 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I use a and line and I wish I still had my old compuserve email address. I'd be rocking that right now.

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 am
Sovereign Woodsman

CraigB wrote:
Im starting to think maybe I used my phones "back" button the times it happened.

Yes, the back button could do it.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 am
Sovereign Woodsman

The http standard requires user agents to ask before re-submitting a post, like when you hit back on a post, it should prompt you, or refresh, if the last request was an HTTP POST.

There is an idiom known as POST-REDIRECT-GET which all well-behaved applications should follow, so that back and refresh will perform the GET operation which (again for well-behaved applications) is not supposed to modify any data on the server.

Tim
(sorry for being a geek)

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:23 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Cracky wrote:

OMG!! What are you going to do if you set out late in the afternoon in flip flops with no flashlight for a trip up a Presi? :D

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:30 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Cracky wrote:

What are you talking about Cracky? They had cell phones in 1993. The bonus was that they were really hard to misplace. :lol:

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:57 pm

<wakes> now I have to delete double posts.... <goes>

:roll:

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:15 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

On my Android phone using the Dolphin Browser i can double post even hours apart. by posting, going to the desktop,(without closing the app) reloading the browser and hitting the back button the phone. I could double/triple post all day and i could double post things from days ago in this manner. Really frustrated me at first, but i realized it was my fault.

Edit: and not double post. This could happen on any platform and easy to replicate. just easy on my phone since the back button is right there, ill load the app back up and see the current thread I'm on and assume if i hit back it will go to the forum that thread belongs in. Trouble here is that it goes through the posting process to get there.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Silent Cal... I wasnt expecting or implying that anyone needs to be removing double posts. I just wanted to find out if there was a way I could stop it before my newbie posts became more annoying. (Bad enough for people to have to read them once... haha.)
Anyways, I think using the "back" button WAS the culprit. Since I stopped using it, I havent had a double post.
All is good.
Thanks for a great site. I really enjoy the info here.

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next