Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Spam postings 
Sovereign Woodsman

scooter wrote:
3) to upgrade to being able to post messages, registrant must donate a one-time only nominal fee ($1 ?)
OR
be vouched for by an existing member
OR
?other ideas?

I'd be happy to donate a $1, I'd even go so far as to donate $3, but if this site were one that required vouching in order to post, I think that puts a damper on the welcome mat that Hike-NH has got going for it. In my case, who would've vouched for me? Nobody knows me, I only met one or two of you in person after being a "member" of this community for at least a year. I would've had to hike the trails looking for you people and asking questions. Picture that! "Hey, do you post on Hike-NH?" Want to sponsor me please? I've got some questions about future hikes, etc." Or, "Hey, are you Salty (Joe, Brian, Jim, Scooter, Greg, Desi, Laurie, Bob, etc.)? I see your posts on Hike-NH. I know this seems like stalking but really, I'm a nice person and I just want to be able to ask questions and feel like part of the crowd."

Just sayin'

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:24 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

just sayin
I couldnt agree more. That is how the other sites are and that just sucks. Keep it free like NH!

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:49 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:53 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy wrote:
scooter wrote:
3) to upgrade to being able to post messages, registrant must donate a one-time only nominal fee ($1 ?)
OR
be vouched for by an existing member
OR
?other ideas?

I'd be happy to donate a $1, I'd even go so far as to donate $3, but if this site were one that required vouching in order to post, I think that puts a damper on the welcome mat that Hike-NH has got going for it. In my case, who would've vouched for me? Nobody knows me, I only met one or two of you in person after being a "member" of this community for at least a year. I would've had to hike the trails looking for you people and asking questions. Picture that! "Hey, do you post on Hike-NH?" Want to sponsor me please? I've got some questions about future hikes, etc." Or, "Hey, are you Salty (Joe, Brian, Jim, Scooter, Greg, Desi, Laurie, Bob, etc.)? I see your posts on Hike-NH. I know this seems like stalking but really, I'm a nice person and I just want to be able to ask questions and feel like part of the crowd."

Just sayin'

No,no, no I would not advocate requiring the vouch-for, for the same reasons as you mention. I intended to suggest it as one of several ways to get upgraded, not as the only way.

It does seem like the level is low enough that enabling mods to delete accounts would handle it pretty easily...
but personally, even though they don't mind, I hate their having to do that sort of maintenance , and I hate having to point it out to them....so I was just trying to think of what could be done.

But the question is moot as long as the spam level is low enough for Chris & the moderators to tolerate the cleanup....

Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm all for keeping things free including speech

but after this past week I'm sorry to say that I've asked for 2 accounts to be blocked.

enough is enough, and this crap has become a distraction to the boards.

Sorry
Bill

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:25 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Pucknuts61 wrote:
I'm sorry to say that I've asked for 2 accounts to be blocked...enough is enough

I see no need for an apology. Abuse (misuse?) should not be tolerated. I learned that when I was 3. It's still true, right?!

Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:58 am

Thank you for the support! The good news is that our "attackers" have now been deleted.

Hey Jim, we need some mods on Flags (I don't have access to delete). Same ones like Ellenna88 are hitting the forums there...plus a few new ones like "Jersey"

and it really ticks me off even more so since they're posting their spam on the 9/11 Journal forum. :evil:

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:11 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great suggestions on how to kill off the spammers. I've deleted a bunch of offending accounts, which is something that I want to keep as an Admin activity. Not that I don't trust our AWESOME moderators, but to give that permission would open up everything and I don't think anyone wants that! I've also changed the registration code, so hopefully that will slow things down. I don't want to charge for Hike-NH and I definitely don't want to restrict new folks by requiring a voucher, I think the responses have covered that pretty well. I will look into the newer versions of the software that runs our forum and see what I can do. This is an older version that may have been cracked.

thanks for all the great feedback!

Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:57 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

My suggestion: We collect say $50 form each person. We hire a VERY good computer hacker. Said hacker will turn the tides on the spammers by turning their computers into the electronic equivelent of jello. :twisted:

Brian

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:30 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

The spam blockers are doing a great job! I don't come on a lot at winter but I have never seen said spam on this site. I am actually curious,sadly. Also like Kathy mentioned, I have actually almost asked some hikers I've met if they were on hikingnh because they looked familiar from the pix here or they sounded like they might be on here. But I hike alone and figured whoever they were would correctly assume I am insane and then my secret would be out.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:32 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Doing some maintenance on my bookmarks (yes HL I am a bit OCD :) ) ... and ran across this. Kind of an interesting metaphor ....

http://innocuous.org/articles/2010/11/21/captchas-the-bear-proof-trash-can-problem/

Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2