Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Greetings from a Newbie 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Greetings from a Newbie
Great website, great forum! I've been doing a LOT of reading about long-distance and truly serious hiking, and I hope that life provides me the chance to try that at some point. For now, though, I am a weekend-only hiker (and even that can be tough to plan sometimes). This may have been suggested by another member at some time, but how about a forum for the less technically-advanced, weekends-only newbie hiker? I may need info on a solid day pack, a good NH loop hike, etc. Thanks!

Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:54 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: Greetings from a Newbie
MaybeMtn wrote:
but how about a forum for the less technically-advanced, weekends-only newbie hiker? I may need info on a solid day pack, a good NH loop hike, etc.

Welcome! I think you're at the right place. Some people are just getting started with <5 peaks under their belt, while others are doing the nth round of the NH48. So you'll see everything from multi-day backpacking trip reports, to nice pictures from kid-friendly hiking adventures.

-Matt

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:05 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Welcome to the forum! I've found it very welcoming with great people, none of whom I have actually met in person yet. :)

In regards to what you write above, you might be interested in these two areas of the site:

Gear Advice
viewforum.php?f=5

Hiking (This is pretty much a catch-all for anything non-4K related)
viewforum.php?f=2

Last edited by Dingo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:08 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Welcome to the forum. You'll find people here very welcoming to the newbie hiker. There have already been a ton of people asking about day packs and loop hikes. If I were you I'd use the 'search' feature - NOT the one in the oval at the very top (doesn't work), but the one that's below 'Your Source for NH Hiking Discussion' when you're reading a post. Search on 'day packs' in the 'Gear Advice' forum, and 'loop hikes' in the 'hiking' and 'Hiking' and 'Trip Suggestions' forums. There's also a built-in hike finder, if you're on the main page and you look over to the right you'll see there is a link to the 'Top 10 loops'.

If you can't find what you're looking for in old posts, let us know.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Welcome! And I agree - the Search function is a great place to start. LOTS of info about gear and getting started. Keep in mind - even the people on their nth round of the 48 started out underdressed and freezing on the top of Moosilauke in late October ;)

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Welcome aboard! I agree with what all the others said. There's people here who've done the AT, people who hike all over the world, people who've bushwhacked every hump of land in sight and people who love naturewalks. Everything in between too. Everyones very helpful and surprisingly civil for an open forum even when they disagree, unlike other boards I've been on. New faces are always welcome. Every spring it seems like a few new faces pop up as they start their 4k quest too so if you're after that you'll probably get some company very soon.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:25 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

KellyK wrote:
Keep in mind - even the people on their nth round of the 48 started out underdressed and freezing on the top of Moosilauke in late October ;)

I started out on Lincoln & Lafayette wearing inappropriate footwear. :)

(Ooh, that hurt for a week...)

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:33 pm

Dingo wrote:
KellyK wrote:
Keep in mind - even the people on their nth round of the 48 started out underdressed and freezing on the top of Moosilauke in late October ;)

I started out on Lincoln & Lafayette wearing inappropriate footwear. :)

(Ooh, that hurt for a week...)

You mean the jeans, sneakers and cotton tshirt I wore up Lincoln and Lafayette for my first 4ks wasn't the appropriate choice? :D

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
You mean the jeans, sneakers and cotton tshirt I wore up Lincoln and Lafayette for my first 4ks wasn't the appropriate choice? :D

What, no flip-flops?

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:51 pm

Dingo wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

What, no flip-flops?

No, I saved those for Hale.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:01 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

My apologies, MaybeMtn, for setting off this thread drift. Doesn't take much...

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]