Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Winter 48 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Winter 48
Hi,

I wonder if someone knows the answer to this question. I've done some quick searching and haven't found a definetive answer. What constitutes bagging a peak in the winter, the date or the conditions :?:
The reason I ask is that me and a hiking body of mine hiked Garfield on Nov. 23. There was a few inches of snow on the trail from the start and well over a foot at the top. Not to mention the the wind chill at the summit was 25-30 below that day. Certainly a wintery day but not officially winter. :?
My thinking is that it must go by the date because that would be the only way to keep records of whether a peak was bagged in winter or not. I told my body who wants to add it to his winter list that I didn't think he could. :cry: Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:37 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Hopefully this link will give you some answers....

http://amc4000footer.org/faq.htm#winter

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:45 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

As you'll see in that link, the hike has to take place entirely within the winter season.

So do like me, work on the '48 in wintery conditions not during winter' list. Makes those early snows and spring melt season a little more interesting :lol:

Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:55 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

jdr, I know how you feel. I did a 14.5-mile hike to Isolation on Nov. 22 in cold temps and moderately high winds. I'm ready to petition the AMC to count it as a "winter hike". :wink:

Seriously, my attitude is as rocksnrolls mentioned....I'm interested in hiking a lot of the 4K peaks in wintery conditions, just to see how it's different from the warmer months. I'm not too concerned over whether it's "official" or not!

Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks for all the input. As I thought it must be done within the calender winter. I myself have no plans to try and do all 48 in winter. I have needed Adams since mid Nov. to finish my first 48 and have yet to see a day when I'm available that the weather looked good enough to attempt it. I'll probably leave it for a beautiful spring day when I can hang for a while and savor it. :P

I myself will probably limit my winter hikes to wooded summits that may or my not have a look-out or two. And ones, like Garfield, that the cover of trees is close by. There's something about being a few hundred to a thousand feet above tree line winter that makes me nervous. Maybe that's a good thing. :)

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:25 am
Sovereign Woodsman

jdr, I'm also another person who has no plans to do the NH 48 in winter, although I'm definitely inspired by those hardy souls that do (and a lot of the 48 I did had their share of wintery weather, regardless of the calendar date). That's great that you are having Adams be your last of the 48- a cool finishing point!! (Mine was West Bond). At this point I'm working on the Adirondack 46, the Catskill 35 and NE 4K, all of 'em NOT in winter.

Waiting to do Adams in nicer weather will prove worthwhile. I did it in 90 degree weather!!! :D

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:51 am

jdr, you and I are of the same mind! I have 2 of the 48 left, East Osceola and Madison. Some friends have tried to nudge me towards finishing this winter, but I really have my heart set on finishing in warmer weather, so I can enjoy the summit for a while, just as you said. I don't feel like finishing the 48 in face mask and goggles!

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:22 am
Sovereign Woodsman

BobC wrote:
I don't feel like finishing the 48 in face mask and goggles!

Instead you can spend it swatting enormous biting insects while sweat mixed with sunscreen stings your eyes :roll:

Nudge, nudge ;)
Tim

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:52 am

It's funny how you don't plan on doing something, but after looking at the list (and I don't just mean the winter 48....just any of the peak bagging lists out there), you realize that you've already done a few...then a few more....then it becomes a challenge because it seems do-able.

I had no intention of working a winter list but after helping a few people with their lists I find that I've done almost half the 4K's in winter....so I might as well continue on.

plus, it's a motivator for me to get off the couch. :wink:

Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:56 am

bikehikeskifish wrote:
BobC wrote:

Instead you can spend it swatting enormous biting insects while sweat mixed with sunscreen stings your eyes :roll:

Nudge, nudge ;)
Tim

Good point, there were some scary bugs up on Adams when I was there in June... :shock:

Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:06 pm

BobC wrote:
bikehikeskifish wrote:
BobC wrote:

Nudge, nudge ;)
Tim

Good point, there were some scary bugs up on Adams when I was there in June... :shock:

This doesn't leave me alot of choices for finishing on Adams. :?
Do it in winter and freeze my @#* off. :(
Do it in early spring and deal with the thaw and trails that become streams. :shock:
Late spring though June and be carried off by BlackFlys, (Did Jefferson in June and there is a Blackfly in photo. :x
Summer and be soaked with sweat right down to my tidy - whities.
Or fall and have to deal with the hundreds of leaf peepers. :roll:
It's a wonder why we hike at all. :lol:

I guess when think about it a mild winters day with those snowy peaks against the backdrop of those clear, deep blue winter skys does sound the most appealing. Waiting for such a day to come along is the hard part. :D

Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:25 am

I like September best for hiking, and you can get some great days in October too.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:28 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Me too. Autumn is hard to beat, and absolutely my favorite time of year. Of the 48 peaks, I did 22 of them during Sept/Oct. over the years and the weather could not have been more perfect.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:52 pm

BobC wrote:
I like September best for hiking, and you can get some great days in October too.

Heaven, for me, is 12 months of early to mid fall hiking. Ahhhhhhhh........ 8)

Brian

Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I guess I'm strange, ok don't answer that, because I love winter hiking, more so than any other season. Fall comes in second, followed by summer, and screw spring.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next