Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 A Few Ideas. 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

A Few Ideas.
Hey folks! I have a few ideas for forum topics Id like to throw out there. Lemme know what ya think, good idea or bad. Maybe if they are decent they are decent they will be added, maybe not. So tell me what ya think:

Mountain and Woods History/folklore: We know the mountains and woods of New Hampshire are loaded with great stories of Indians and Settlers. Mt. Washington alone could probably fill a book (actually I believe it did :lol: .) And how did this or that mountain get its name? Ya know, things of this nature.

Nature walks/hikes: I dont know if the general hiking forum would serve just as well, but maybe a forum dedicated to nature walks might be nice. This forum could be used to answer questions, give trip/route advice and such for the many nature walks in New Hampshire.

and lastly

Historic Spots/trips: I dunno how this would go down on a hiking forum. BUT, how about a topic site for historic trips or tourists attractions (eek there is that word tourist :P ,) like; Weeks House, or Strawberry Banke, American Stonehendge, places of that sort. And of course we could also discuss or talk about one of my other mini passions.....New Hampshires covered bridges :wink: .

So, any comments, good or bad? Dont be shy, speak on up! No matter what everyone says, wether the ideas are used or not, this is still one HECK of a great site!!!!
Thanks,
Brian

Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:20 am

Hey Brian,
I think some of the ideas have potential, the question is how to do it. Keep in mind Chris and Rob run the show so they might see it as just a forum topic where we post our thoughts and ideas as opposed to making it an Icon above (like gear, and links).

One thing I've been interested in is some of the sites in the Whites that have local appeal and aren't on a map. I've heard about an B-52 plane crash site that sounds like it has some potential. I'd also like to hear about some of the caves in the area too.
Just some different things to check out while on the trails so we'll see what others think too.
Bill

Just had another thought.....waterfalls!

Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:09 am
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Let's do it the democratic way! I'll post a poll to see how the general population feels about these topics and we'll let the people decide!

Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:36 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

This general population feels like all your ideas should be discussed. That's what makes conversation and one fine site. Covered bridges, history, fav fishing places, all fine topics for a NH site.

NH, did you know that there is a book entitled Firetowers of NH?! List price, a mere $5(!) w/detailed history and b&w pix too. Soon to be out of print. A very nice (wonderful) addition to any NH library!

Mon May 30, 2005 7:42 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

just checking out the posts and the one about caves caught my eye. As a kid I was always out in the woods, one of the things I dreamed of finding was a cave! Never did though, guess there's not too many of them in Merrimack! So, are there any caves around in NH?
karen

Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:48 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Pucknuts61 wrote:
I've heard about an B-52 plane crash site that sounds like it has some potential. I'd also like to hear about some of the caves in the area too.

This caught my eye..

Pucknuts61, In the White Mountains or the B-52 that crashed in Spruce swamp in Fremont, NH?

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:26 pm

I think there is a crash site on Waternomee (at least Cath Goodwin told me so.) Is this the same one?

B.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:40 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I think you are right Brian.
I did a google search and got back alot of info on the Waternomee Plane Crash.
Have to checkout

A B-52 also crashed in Spruce swamp in Fremont, NH many years ago.

Cool stuff......

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:22 pm

I think there is also a crash site near Mt Blue (Moosilauke area).

Always looking for a reason to get out! :D

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:26 pm

Hey Bill, Waternomee is a sub-peak of the Moose as well. Im pretty sure it was Waternomee Cath told me about.....but it was a while ago and could possibly be Blue.

B.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:56 pm
Master Mountaineer

The Waternomee crash site is very well known among veteran hikers and the route to it as well. There is another crash site. Do you know about it?

Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:58 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

hey this is from www.hikethewhites.com under moosilauke

"In 1942, a US Army B-18 Bolo bomber crashed on the side of Mt Waternomee, part of Moosilauke's Blue Ridge. The crash site can be reached by following an old trail up from a logging road off NH rt 118."

"In December of 1942, a B-18 Bolo bomber was returning from a coastal anti-submarine patrol and got lost in bad weather on their way home to the Westover AFB in Chicopee, MA. Through a gap in the clouds they saw a city that they assumed was Providence, RI, and set course for home. The city was actually Concord, NH, and the flight path led them directly into the side of Mt Waternomee, a small peak on the ridge of Moosilauke.
Of the 7 crew members, amazingly 5 survived. A plaque was dedicated on the site of the wreck on July 4, 1992. There are still many pieces of the plane there, including engines, landing gear, most of a wing, and many other smaller pieces. "

the link is here http://www.hikethewhites.com/bomber/bomber.html

I did also hear of another crash site

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:27 pm
Master Mountaineer

Thanks for the post and your link!
:D

Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:00 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Another crash site is Oakes Gulf. The famous propeller that is seen(or use to be) around the huts.
I think the plane crashed in 1969 and has been kinda of a mystery all these years.

People say the plane is still in Oakes Gulf

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:09 pm
Master Mountaineer

Two thumbs up Scenic. Correct! You are good in spite of being a flatfoot :wink: :D

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next