Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Overnight to Isolation sleeping bag ??? 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Overnight to Isolation sleeping bag ???
Since my friend is almost computer illiterate, (actually just doesn't like to type) and I feel alot of you are experts, he's asked me to pose these questions.

He is a well seasoned hiker, except for overnights in the winter. He's trying to finish up
his 4K's and plans on Isolation in a few weeks, as an overnight, by just Davis Path.

What temp rated bag should he use at this time of year -20? -30? synthetic? down? He gets all different opinions from the various stores, and prices to $900.
What brand do you recommend? or use?

If he utilizes a hut, what temp bag would he use then?

What do you think of the liners you can put in your bag?

Do people have 3 different bags?? for the seasons?

Thanks

Terry

Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Overnight to Isolation sleeping bag ???
I'd say to have a look at the historical temperatures (note this is for 6288') for the date(s) in question to get a feel for the overnight temperatures. My gut would say that a 0 degree ought to be fine if we are talking camping at/below 4K before the end of the month, but that's a wild guess that depends on how cold the person sleeps, whether we have a freakishly cold spell then or not, and about 10 other factors.

Synthetic vs. down comes down to weight and compressibility, and to a lesser extent longevity. Down compresses more, lasts longer (synthetic can break down some over time I have read), and weighs less (both in actual bag weight and especially in wallet weight after purchase). Down also has some issues when it gets wet, but that can be avoided, and many manufacturers now are selling treated down to combat that issue anyway.

I personally don't have a cold-weather sleeping bag (I'll sleep inside in winter thanks). The warmest is a 12-year-old synthetic 20 degree Moonstone (the brand no longer exists I believe) that is at best a 30 degree bag now. Plus I have a couple different fleece bags I use now and then. I guess I'm sort of in the market for a new one too, but haven't found one I like (3-season use).

There is no hut this time of year that will be at all helpful for Isolation. Only Carter Notch, Zealand, and Lonesome Lake are open from now until May.

Also note that Rocky Branch Shelter #2 is no more. It has been disassembled, and while the platform still remained as of a few weeks ago, its days are numbered too. There are camping options in the area, and also near the Davis Path/Isolation East junction. Dry River Shelter #3 still stands and is in great shape, and there are designated camping spots all along the Dry River Trail as well.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:27 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

If he thinks he's going to like winter camping get the coldest rated one he can afford even if he may not use it on this trip. A -20 or -30 bag is good for the full range of winter temps from 30 degree nights to -30. An extra pound or two isn't a concern to me ( I just figure it's good strength training! :D ) so I use synthetic and save the money ($$Hundreds) over down but if I were worried about it I'd spend the extra money for down and I'd get the newer water repellent down. Regular down getting wet in winter will pretty much make it useless and will freeze solid. At that point you can't do much to get the insulating value back. If he may or may not take to winter camping a good 0 degree or -15 plus a liner could provide some flexibility.

For winter camping I personally use a -30 degree synthetic bag, which is good for me in a tent from about +30 to well below zero, although I've never pushed it past the negative teens. Specifically I have used this one for the last 5 years or so. It weighs about 5 lbs and compresses to about 10x18 and fits nicely into the bottom of my winter overnight bag.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-lamina--30-regular-OU8501.html?cgid=equipment-sleepingBags-%20below%200&dwvar_OU8501_variationColor=010#prefn1=fill&prefv1=Synthetic&start=0

I have an older 0 degree bag I don't use much, and a 40 degree I use in the summer. So yes 3 bags since the -30 is too warm for me at 40. It's easy enough to unzip the bottom half and vent it if I absolutely have to but why carry the extra weight if there's no chance I'll need it. Have your friend get an extra long and a stuff bag too to put his liquids, boots, mittens etc down in the bottom of the bag and not freeze up on him. Since he's a guy there's room for a pee bottle too. Kind of gross I know, but saves you from getting out of the tent when it's 15 below in the middle of the night.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:22 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

GUYS ARE LUCKY!!!!!! This is why we will probably never go winter camping, despite our 15 degree bags. The old lady still has to get up at night!

All kidding aside, last fall we did sleep out in the 20s and we both were warm in our bags. They are synthetic and compress well.

Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:35 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Beckie and Prema wrote:
GUYS ARE LUCKY!!!!!! This is why we will probably never go winter camping, despite our 15 degree bags. The old lady still has to get up at night!

All kidding aside, last fall we did sleep out in the 20s and we both were warm in our bags. They are synthetic and compress well.

It CAN be done Beckie.....where there's a will (and the alternative option of touching your a** to the frozen tundra at 2 am) there's a way. Just takes practice.

And, to respond to the OP, we have a -40 down bag that is used for the coldest cold, in the dead of winter, in the whites. It is bulky, and not the lightest (probably 5ish lbs give or take a few ounces) but worth the bulk and weight. I sleep cold and have never taken that bag backpacking in what will most likely be the conditions your friend will face. My go to bag is down, rated to about 0. A liner helps but I just layer my clothing to provide any extra warmth needed. There's a huge value to one's hat and warm dry socks.

Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:29 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Kathy wrote:
Beckie and Prema wrote:

It CAN be done Beckie.....where there's a will (and the alternative option of touching your a** to the frozen tundra at 2 am) there's a way. Just takes practice...

...or one of these. I think the long lost KellyK first brought these to my attention. Otherwise I'd never have know such things existed.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/apparel/trail-clothes/category-womens-apparel/gear-review-female-urination-devices/#bp=0/img6

Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:08 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Kathy wrote:
Beckie and Prema wrote:

It CAN be done Beckie.....where there's a will (and the alternative option of touching your a** to the frozen tundra at 2 am) there's a way. Just takes practice...

...or one of these. I think the long lost KellyK first brought these to my attention. Otherwise I'd never have know such things existed.

http://www.backpacker.com/gear/apparel/trail-clothes/category-womens-apparel/gear-review-female-urination-devices/#bp=0/img6

And that started a whole discussion from Justjoe and some others about built-in hoses :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Prema has corrected me - our bags are down! :oops: :oops: :oops: and I feel like a moron because I remember a stray feather or two!

Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:44 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Thanks good information everybody.

Terry

Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:

Yeah. I have issues with these. I have one. Don't use it. For me, more trouble than it's worth. But, to each her own. And yes. I do believe it was KellyK

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]