Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 New sleeping bag - Anyone with EMS experience? 
Master Mountaineer

New sleeping bag - Anyone with EMS experience?
Hi all,
I'm gearing up for a 5 day backpacking trip this weekend, and think my sleeping bag might be useless. No loft at all - I'm going to try restoring the loft, but I'm not optimistic.

EMS currently has some good deals on their EMS brand bags (the 35 degree is normally 229, but marked down to $120). Anyone have experience with EMS brand sleeping bags? Are they durable?

Also, how do you store your sleeping bag? My current one is useless because I stored it in a stuff sack. Do most of you hang them up?

Thanks much.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:02 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: New sleeping bag - Anyone with EMS experience?
I don't have experience with EMS bags, but I have plenty of their other gear and have no complaints.

The bag and quilt that I have both came with a small stuff sack that compresses for backpacking and a large sack for storage. When I return from a trip I'll spread it out for a couple days to let it air out and regain some loft, then I put it in the storage sack which doesn't compress. If your bag didn't come with one of those then I'd imaging a kitchen trash bag would work just as well.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:20 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Some folks will say that even the large, garbage-bag-sized mesh bags ruin the sleeping bag over time. I'm not convinced myself, I have a 10+ year-old 20 degree synthetic that has lived in that mesh bag that came with it whenever it wasn't in my pack. The bag is still fine, though I can't tell you how it's temp rating is as I haven't gone below ~30 degrees with it in recent years (it was fine at that temp, and even when it was new it was COLD at 22 degrees). Some folks hang theirs on a hanger or similar (like how you see them hung in the stores).

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:38 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm no help with sleeping bags at all.

I've heard people on here talk about loving EMS specifically for their return policy, though. Last time I was in one, I had a brief conversation with an employee who mentioned, incidentally, that they'd significantly changed the return policy. I don't know if that matters to you or if you're all up to speed on that already, but if it's news to you or any other EMS patrons here, might be worth checking into before a purchase.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:20 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

No experience with their bags but have plenty of their gear, especially winter gear, and have never had any durability issues. In general I think their gear (and LL Bean, REI etc ) is very good and durable stuff, but not always the cutting edge technology or ultra light etc. If the bag works for you in terms of weight and size it compresses to go for it. If you're truly concerned about the return policy buy something LL Bean sells.

I store my bags in either the large mesh sacks they came with or the oversized contractor garbage bags. Never thought to hang my -30 winter bag but it might not be a bad idea. My summer bag is a 35 degree Slumberjack I got on Amazon for 35 bucks, so if and when it loses loft I'll just get a new one. Even if it loses a little 35 still has some wiggle room for warmth in summer 95% of the time. In that regard I'd guess based on the lows around 60 this week overnight up north whatever bag you have now would work fine, especially if you're in a tent and not a hammock and not a cold sleeper. Not even sure id bring a bag in that. Maybe just a liner, but I'm a warm sleeper to begin with.

Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:08 am
Master Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
In that regard I'd guess based on the lows around 60 this week overnight up north whatever bag you have now would work fine, especially if you're in a tent and not a hammock and not a cold sleeper.

I'm leaning that way. My intel indicated the lows would be near 50... and I just assumed that in a deep valley a couple thousand feet up, it would be about 10 degree colder. My bag is a 40, but I've never had one night in it that I didn't wake up freezing.

I did fluff it in the dryer last night, and it seems to have relofted a bit... but I'm still unsure if I want to trust it on a 5 day. Decisions decisions

Who needs actions when you got words?

Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:51 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Grindboy wrote:
I've heard people on here talk about loving EMS specifically for their return policy, though. Last time I was in one, I had a brief conversation with an employee who mentioned, incidentally, that they'd significantly changed the return policy. I don't know if that matters to you or if you're all up to speed on that already, but if it's news to you or any other EMS patrons here, might be worth checking into before a purchase.

lol yeah. Their policy has gone the way of everyone else. thanks for the heads up. https://www.ems.com/return-policy.html

Quote:
Used, worn, or washed items. . . are not eligible for return or exchange at any time.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]