Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What Hiking Boot/Shoe Brand Do You Prefer? 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: What Hiking Boot/Shoe Brand Do You Prefer?
Returned the Oboz today for another pair of Keen Targhee II's. I read online they have fixed the common problem I experienced so I'll give them a 3rd, or 4th, 5th, 6th shot if need be. Happy feet is number one in my book by a country mile, and these just work for me as far as that goes.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

The Merrill Moabs I purchased this year now have a few hundred miles on them. While comfy under foot. The tread is still fine. The soles don't seem to have the same level of traction when wet as previous pairs. They are still good and far and above the asolo breeze that I tried earlier however. I've had a couple slips and foot dunkings. Going accross the dry river a few weeks ago Derek was just waiting for me to dive in. Just ended up keeping myself aware and I made it over just fine. I don't expect miracles but the balance of the pros and cons work for me. Perhaps I'll try some keenes next go around since people have been singing their praises.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:26 am
Master Mountaineer

I'm about to get my second pair of the Oboz Mid Traverse.

Unlike others, I find the curved heel to reduce knee and lower back pain as it reduces the force with which you plant. I also like the mechanisms that lock your heel into the boot. What I like most about them is the grip - I've walked up waterfalls with no slippage on those boots. The downside is that I've never destroyed a pair of boots quicker. I got three seasons out of them, and now they are shredded. That hard jagged granite in NH does a number on them.

Winter, I love the Keen Revel. So comfy, I even wear them casually.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Jamie your review from a few years ago ( http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=6295 ) was one of the reasons I gave the Oboz a shot to begin with. I figured if another Keen user liked them that much I might too. Unfortunately the Bridger was a disaster for me. Maybe I should have tried the Traverse mid but I don't like all synthetic boots so that was that. For me personally they were the worst boot I've ever tried. As I said above seems like a rock solid boot with some good ideas but that's useless if you can barely walk for three days after a simple 10 mile hike. The Revel II for winter and the Targhee II for 3 seasons is what I'm sticking with for a long long time, heck forever if LL Bean wants to keep replacing them for free every time something legitimately goes wrong.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:17 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I got the La Sportiva Synthesis Mid Gtx and they are nice. Keep my feet cool. The only grip I would have is in the sizing. I would go a half size down if i got another pair of these, which i am contemplating. Otherwise, its adidas for me. Merrells in winter.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
You kind of feel like a dirtbag exchanging boots every 300 miles when the soles start to have issues but if they're willing to do it I'm willing to stick with the Keens they sell. That's a big reason I but stuff there's even if it costs a little more than the same thing elsewhere.

Keen will issue you a credit if you just send them a pic of the damaged/worn/weird area. I have done this twice now, no questions asked. Full price credit for online purchase, didn't pay shipping, no returning old boot (nice b/c kept those to wear with spikes in shoulder season).

I too bought Oboz but was too lazy to return 'em. Should have. They're just sitting there in my gear loft.

Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:22 pm

Well that's pretty awesome of them. Wish I had known that a month ago. Which boots and what problem did you have Kathy if you happen to see this. They say the problem with the two piece sole separating on my Targhee II's has been fixed but if not (or anything else happens down the road) there's worse things than having a dedicateda pair of mud season/rain boots. Between that and their unbeatable comfort right out of the box I don't see any reason to stray for a long time.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:16 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Well that's pretty awesome of them. Wish I had known that a month ago. Which boots and what problem did you have Kathy if you happen to see this. They say the problem with the two piece sole separating on my Targhee II's has been fixed but if not (or anything else happens down the road) there's worse things than having a dedicateda pair of mud season/rain boots. Between that and their unbeatable comfort right out of the box I don't see any reason to stray for a long time.

I have the same boot. I LOVE them. On my fourth pair, with two having been replaced by Keen. Same problem, I think. The side piece that wraps around at the ball of the foot came unglued. On the replacement pair, not a problem but the little grey gripper pieces on the sole came off. HA HA. It was kinda funny b/c as I hiked and they fell off (unbeknownst to me), I was a little ahead of Cathie who was picking up these weird little odd geometric shapes as she hiked behind me. :lol: They credited that pair and within a week I had another brand new pair.

Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:04 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I mostly prefer for hiking timberland, keen, columbia, salomon. But before choosing, I always go through details and user experience. I found some reviews about hiking boots helpful. As for example http://www.bnewtech.com/best-hiking-boots/. I must go through details before buying hiking boots. You total comfort depends on boots.

Tue May 10, 2016 5:25 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I prefer using my Adidas Outdoor Adizero XT 5 Boost Trail Runner.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:19 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I'm a massive fan of Meindl as a brand. Have hand my latest pair of Bhutan GTX's for almost 4 years and they area still as waterproof as they were when I first got them. They're on the stiff side, but super supportive for backpacking and trekking. Check out my review of them: https://coolofthewild.com/gear/review-meindl-bhutan

Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Hey look!!!!! Someone new!!!! Welcome, Joey!

Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:35 pm
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Yes, welcome JoeyH!

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2