Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Mountaineering crampons 
Sovereign Woodsman

Mountaineering crampons
I bought an ice axe yesterday and used it for the first time today, but I could not do the full climb due to not having full traction, so I took a bypass path to the top of the ledges I climbed. I'll post a short TR with a video after...

My question to you good folks: What brand of mountaineering/ice climbing crampons would recommend for an adult male who:

Wears a size 13 shoe/boot
Is 6'1'' (around 6'3'' with boots)
Wants to climb Mount Rainier in 2016 and would like to use said crampons both for training and for the Rainier climb itself

Thanks in advance!

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:12 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Mountaineering crampons
I don't think brand matters as much as what boot you'll be wearing them on. Just get a high quality pair. My friends cheap CAMP ones literally snapped in half on him. I have a Petzel 10 point that's great on a regular hiking boot but I don't totally trust them for extended use on steep terrain. Too much mixed rock and ice and they seem to wiggle loose eventually on a flexible soled boot. No way I'd try Ranier in them. The ten points means you have less traction on the front but they're easier to walk on moderate terrain in.

The Grivel G12's I have are great on a stiff soled mountaineering boot. Mine are hybrids, which simply step into and clamp down on the groove and secure the strap so should they pop off they don't go tumbling down. Very quick on and off so your hands don't freeze up while using them. The extra points and placement really dig in and when I want to feel like I'm sticking like velcro this is what I use. They do make them in classic strap on models as well as with vertical front points which you'd want for true vertical ice climbing.

If I were you I'd contact a guide service for Rainier and see what boots/crampons they recomend for their trips if you only want to buy one kind one time. When my friend and I were going we were going the guided trips were about $2000 dollars and then kids came along and a $4000 dollar venture to climb a mountain wasn't really a good choice anymore for me. Someday hopefully. Anyhow, here the recomended gear list if you want to take a guided trip if interested. Start accumulating it now.

http://www.mountainguides.com/pdf/Rainier-Gear.pdf

And maybe look into an introductory mountaineering course this winter so you're ready to go next year. Good luck with all this.

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]