Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 how do you pack your pack 

How do you pack your pack?
Poll ended at Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:40 pm
Heavy stuff up high  20%  [ 2 ]
Heavy stuff down low  10%  [ 1 ]
Things I'll need frequently at the top  50%  [ 5 ]
heavy low and frequent stuff at top  20%  [ 2 ]
heavy high and frequent stuff at top  0%  [ 0 ]
PSHHH! I don't need anything in my pack.  0%  [ 0 ]
I just sit at the trailhead playing video games  0%  [ 0 ]
other  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

Sovereign Woodsman

How do you pack your pack?

Everyone seems to have their own opinion. I've seen videos with Kitchen sinks on the top or bottom.

Right now I have my spare clothes that I hope not to use near the center bottom. Liquids on the sides on the outsides. lighter stuff like gloves/compass, maps yadda yadda and such on the top half. Snow shoes get mounted high and on the sides.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:40 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: how do you pack your pack
Mine changes from season to season and day hiking vs backpacking. In the summer I put heavier stuff up high but In winter it's the things I think I'll need as I climb in the order I think I'll need them. Food and extra liquid goes in the center to try and insulate it. When backpacking the bag always goes in the bottom. Tent on the top as I like as much weight as high as possible. Spikes and crampons inside until needed and snowshoes strapped to the side in the compression straps.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:30 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

What makes you like weight as high as possible?

Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:14 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

It just feels more like my shoulders and body are simply holding it up, rather than my lower back constantly pulling it up when it rides at or near the waist. Might have a lot to do with carrying the 50lb kid carriers for the last 6 years too. They sit up relatively high and my muscles may have become accustomed to that feeling and work load. Whatever the case, if I can get the majority of the weight higher up and simply riding on the hips/hip belt rather than feeling like i'm lifting it with every step it works well for me.

Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:02 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Generally, external frame packs were designed for heavy stuff to be high and close to your back. The reasons are to line up the weight over your hips and place as much weight on the hip belt as possible. The theory for internal packs is similar although the weight is often closer to your back.

The lower the center of gravity in a pack and the further away from your back, the more it pulls on your shoulders, which most people find undesirable. Weight on hips is easier to carry in most cases.

When climbing, scrambling, on uneven terrain, having the weight lower allows the center of gravity to be lower and you will get jostled around less. Top heavy may not be good on rocky trails in high winds.

Equally important is to pack tightly so no shifting around occurs as you hike and of course balancing weight on both left and right sides.

I have always kept the lightest stuff in the bottom....bag and clothes. Above this I will put heavier items like water bottles/cookware/food at the top. I have a small top pocket that allows for items I may need frequently...map, compass, headlamp, snacks, etc. On trails like the Knifes Edge in Baxter, for example, I would rather have the weight centered and not high up. That's rare for me though.

Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:51 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I like having things that I plan to need close to the top and the things I hope to not use near the bottom. More important for me is keeping both sides of pack evenly weighted.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:30 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

IQuest wrote:
I like having things that I plan to need close to the top and the things I hope to not use near the bottom. More important for me is keeping both sides of pack evenly weighted.

Totally agree on this, but I want to add that I attach my seeping bag and a tent to the side straps of the back pack to save more room inside. I have a 80L back pack by the way.

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]