Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 "Darn Tough" Socks from Vermont 
Master Mountaineer

"Darn Tough" Socks from Vermont
Anyone ever use Darn Tough socks from Vermont?
I've used Smartwool, as well as the traditional liner/wool combo.

How do these compare with regard to:
1. Durability
2. Wicking
3. Warmth

Thanks!

Who needs actions when you got words?

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: "Darn Tough" Socks from Vermont
I've never used them myself (always used Smartwool too), but I have heard wonderful things about them from many folks I know.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:01 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I probably won't live long enough to wear out all the Smartwool socks I have in different configurations, so will probably never have the opportunity to try Darn Tough. I've heard good things about them, but then ... I have a few pairs of Merino Wool socks under the LL Bean and also REI label, and they also seem to be the same quality as Smartwool (perhaps they make them for Beans and REI).

Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:30 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I have had my smartwools for years and like them a lot for the first few years. Then they seem to lose some of the cushioning on the bottom and start to seriously pill. My kids have darn tough and I don't see the same things happening but they obviously don't use them as often, for as long or weigh 200 lbs.

So that said, with all the good things I've heard and seen about DT I'm going to give them a shot when I buy new ones which will probably be soon. I can't really complain about the life expectancy of the smarwools but with DT offering a no strings attached lifetime guarantee of replacement or a refund if they ever wear out or you just aren't happy with them I have no reason not to give them a shot. It's the same reason I buy a lot of my gear from LL Bean. And finally they're made in the good ol USA vs made in China.

So to summarize, I have no reason to run out and replace all my smartwools socks immediately, but when I do or if I see any good holiday sales, I have no reason not to try Darn Tough.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:52 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

As I sit here, reading this before I have to leave for work, I'm wearing a pair. We have these and Smartwool and are happy with both. What's a big deal for me is if socks are not warm enough my feet get cold, but when they are warm enough, my feet perspire, I get damp socks, and MY FEET GET COLD :evil: . "Hiking" socks prevent this somewhat. I don't have a "panty hose" type job, so I can wear regular shoes and socks while getting those Christmas parcels out for my customers :lol: . So I wear my hiking socks for all purposes. I would recommend DT as well as SW for the trail and other purposes. I think we bought these a year ago at EMS and they're still going strong - no thinning out in the heels or anything like that!

Oh, and since we do visit some friends who have a "no shoe" policy in the house, they're great for warmth and good looks :D !

Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:56 am
Sovereign Woodsman

A couple years ago I was in the market to replace a couple pair of summer time Smartwool socks. EMS didn't have Smartwool in the style I wanted so I bought Darn Tough socks. They are very comparable and I am very happy with them. I would guess their heavier weight socks would be the same.

Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:22 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

When I wear socks I wear Darn Tough socks. I have been wearing the same 4 pairs now for 5 years. After all this time just one pair is starting to show some thinning on the heel.

Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]