Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 First aid kit 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

First aid kit
Ok. I want to assemble a first aid kit that will be appropriate for hiking. For years I have carried band aids, tape, aspirin, ace bandage and other things.
What do you think are the essentials for a good first aid kit? I have been fortunate enough to never need much more than band aids and Motrin, but, what if?

Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I just have a homemade kit myself. Same stuff you have plus a good size sterile pad, gauze, triple antibiotic cream, duct tape, moleskin, benedryl, immodium, and a few other odds and ends. I also bring multi-use items like bandanas, extra shoelaces, etc which can be useful in an emergency.

Like you, I've never needed anything beyond a few minor items and I hope I never have to. I made my own kit rather than buying one because I already had most of the items and it was cheaper to buy the remaining ones than to invest in one of those kits they sell in the store.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Take a SOLO course.

First & most important thing is knowledge.
One of the things they teach is to make do with what you have.

That being said, check this out:

http://www.solowfa.com/about-MEDIC-SOLO ... d-kits.htm

Personally I dont have so much a 'first aid' kit as a general repair kit - probably not very different from what Kris listed.

This is some non-standard stuff I carry -
Multitool - scissors, knife, small screwdriver head have all come in handy at one time or another.
A needle or two ( splinters & any kind of sewing ( not medical!) repair ) + thread.
Magnifying mirror & strong glasses, eye wash, headlamp ( I get more eyelashes & other debris blown in my eyes than anyone I know).
Bandana.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:07 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I keep a fresh stock of Advil Liqui-Gels but other than that I'm lazy and just buy a kit every few years when the stuff expires. This is the one I've had for a while (the Trail model) and it's less than 20 bucks. Seems to have a little bit of everything. Never have (and hope never to) need it. I always think I should carry a SAM splint but still haven't bought one. It's only 10 bucks or so and I've seen one in use on the trails. Probably should, but probably won't.

http://www.bestglide.com/adventure_medical_lightandfast.html

Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I just have a homemade kit from various other kits and added items. Heavy gauze pads, tape, and rubber gloves are more important to me than moleskin and knuckle band-aids. I also carry some kind of pain/fever reducer and a space blanket. I have a separate kit for repairs and inconveniences. Since my actual first aid kit sees very little use I it's important to check it at least once a year as items expire or get wet/worn out from riding in the pack.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:35 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

krpayer wrote:
benedryl

Earlier this summer I got bit by a horsefly right next to my eye. For about 24 my eyes teared up really bad and became so hyper sensitive to light that without a high dose of benedryl I was practically blind. It lasted about 24 hours. Guess what is now a critical item in my FAK?

Besides that it's just tape for friction injuries, Bodyglide for friction injuries, and some antiseptic, usually just hand sanitizer, and a tick/splinter kit: tweezers, needle, and razor.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:17 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Being out there solo, I have a really nice kit that I bought a long time ago from EMS. I keep it fresh every year.
My thinking is: "Ya never know"!

Actually, thanks for reminding me...it's time to check it out and make sure all is there. I had to use it a few times this year so far....you guys know me! :oops:

Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:08 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Walrus wrote:
krpayer wrote:
benedryl

Earlier this summer I got bit by a horsefly right next to my eye. For about 24 my eyes teared up really bad and became so hyper sensitive to light that without a high dose of benedryl I was practically blind. It lasted about 24 hours. Guess what is now a critical item in my FAK?

Besides that it's just tape for friction injuries, Bodyglide for friction injuries, and some antiseptic, usually just hand sanitizer, and a tick/splinter kit: tweezers, needle, and razor.

That's a good idea. A couple years ago I was stung on the lip by a bee near the top of the Black Angel Tr. I had to take a selfie to see if my lip was swollen or not. That got me thinking that an epi pen (sp?) Might be a good thing to carry. Either for myself or someone else. Most people don't know th eddy are allergic to bee stings until after they are stung.

Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:22 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

From recent experience ... not only is it important to keep your kit "fresh" as several suggested, but also to spot-test some things in advance.

I recently took a spill on a local trail and cut myself on a rock. I thought, no biggie I've got two first aid kits in my pack, including one I had recently picked up at a convenience store. :roll: Opened the brand-new pack but the band-aid was so cheap that within 5 minutes it fell off (and bled through as well). No problem, I've got backup in Kit #2. Unfortunately I'd been carrying that kit around for years, so that one was pretty dried out. I then bummed a band-aid off a fellow hiker, and guess what? Pretty flimsy as well, plus by then the bleeding had stopped, so I just continued without one. When I got home, I put on a brand-name Band-Aid and it stayed on a for a week. So now I carry that brand only. But this has me wondering what else I should pre-test to make sure it works when I need it ...

I've never been stung by the way (hiking or otherwise), so I'm one of those who will only find out when it happens. I think you guys have convinced me to add something to my pack just in case ...

Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:00 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: First aid kit
First aid kit is not something that you can spare on. I'd rather buy a good quality kit, and once the stuff expires just hand pick fresh components from a local store to renew it.

Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]