Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Water filter/purifier 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Water filter/purifier
I am looking into buying some sort of water filter. As always I read a lot on the internet. There is nothing better than first hand experiences. So, here I am.
Growing up, we always hiked as a family, 2 parents, 4 kids and a dog. We Always drank from the stream. No one ever got sick. Now, hiking with friends, I get the "what are you doing?", remark. So is the water now is contaminated? Now, I guess I better keep up with the times and gather the proper equipment. I hate peer pressure.
It's probably better to be safe than sorry. Maybe I have just been lucky. Or, after doing it all my life, I have built up immunities. Either way, I am looking for advice.

I want my water to:

Look good
Taste good
Get the microscopic bugs out
Not cost me more than I really need to spend
Be easy (enough) to use

I will mostly be using this for backup water. But, I would like to carry less water if I can. I am thinking of some longer hikes (for me at least) and want to feel like I have one less thing to think of.
It looks like the MSR filter is the most popular selling model.
Any advice??
Thanks
Mike Z

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:59 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I'm a big fan of this one -

http://www.rei.com/product/830746/katad ... ter-filter

I bought it about 15 years ago when it was called Pur Hiker. Still going strong - very durable, pumps lots of water easily, easy to clean, replacement filters readily available, etc, etc. Plus, its cheaper than most.

Have also heard very good things about Steripen, but no personal experience with them.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:12 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I use the same one that Kevin has and it's been almost 12 years with no problems. :)

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:45 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I have the same older model as the others. I rarely use it, maybe 10 times in 15 years, but no issues for me either.

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:35 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

I've recently picked up a Sawyer Mini Filter. Highly recommended by thru hikers. Small, light, comes with it's own bladder for collecting water, screws onto many bottles, can be used with a hydration bladder.......looking forward to using it this summer on some backpack trips.

Read Philip's article: http://sectionhiker.com/dump-the-pump-water-filter/

Petch

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:20 am

I bought this one several years ago and am quite happy with it. Possibly a bit heavier than others. 14oz. You can drink the water in 5 minutes.

http://www.rei.com/product/671111/msr-s ... ier-system

But I stealth camp only near good running water so filtering really isn't necessary. So I'm thinking about getting one of these.

http://www.rei.com/product/847549/steri ... r-purifier

Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:36 am
Master Mountaineer

I have the Katadyn as well.

I recommend using them for more than just backup. If you're hiking near places with nice, crisp, COLD mountain water, most definitely plan some refills along the way. There's nothing better than some freshly filtered water on a hot day.

And it comes with two attachments that let you pump directly into a Nalgene and most Camelbak/Platypus bags.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:43 am

iagreewithjamie wrote:
I recommend using them for more than just backup. If you're hiking near places with nice, crisp, COLD mountain water, most definitely plan some refills along the way. There's nothing better than some freshly filtered water on a hot day.

Unless you're hiking above treeline in the Presis. Then bring all the water you can carry. I've never had worse tasting water. I don't think the two are related, but all the water I've ever had there from springs, melted snow and even the Sherman Adams faucets tastes like you're sucking on the smokestack of the Cog RR before they went green for some reason.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:55 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I've been using the same katadyn filter others have mentioned as well and have had no problems with it. The attachment to my camelbak has also worked well for me.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:04 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I have been using my MSR Sweetwater filter for over 10 years. Changed the filter part twice over the years and have no complaints. I carry it when going out over 10 miles so I don't have to ration my fluids. The hose on my Camel Back fits on the "out" nipple so it can be filled without taking it off my back. :D

Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:11 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Petch wrote:
I've recently picked up a Sawyer Mini Filter. Highly recommended by thru hikers. Small, light, comes with it's own bladder for collecting water, screws onto many bottles, can be used with a hydration bladder.......looking forward to using it this summer on some backpack trips.

Read Philip's article: http://sectionhiker.com/dump-the-pump-water-filter/

Petch

I would also recommend the Sawyer Mini. For $20, it filters 100,000 gallons to 0.1. Takes up no space in your pack, and very versatile.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]