Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Maine Mountain Guide (10th Edition) 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Maine Mountain Guide (10th Edition)
When did this hit the shelves? I just saw it and picked it up Wednesday and finally got to look it over. Excellent! Lots of new stuff and expansion of the old stuff. A much larger section for both south-west Maine (although more trail info on Agamenticus would be nice) and the mid-coast, a new section for Downeast Maine that mentions backcountry camping in the Cutler Coast Preserve (Bold Coast) but doesn't give any info on the place or trails other than that. And they put Acadia back in, even if it's just the eastern section for some reason. So still room for improvement but their most comprehensive guide yet by far and while I've only had the 8th, 9th and now 10th it seems like their best effort to date also.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

If it wasn't last year, it was the year before. I picked it up mainly for the 3k peaks and didn't realize how many of them had actual trails to them. Ill be busy for a few years.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:59 pm

I need to get one of those myself.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

2012. They removed the map of the Rangeley area (except the Bigelows) unfortunately, which was a little obnoxious but the MATC map sufficed.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:39 pm

madmattd wrote:
2012. They removed the map of the Rangeley area (except the Bigelows) unfortunately, which was a little obnoxious but the MATC map sufficed.

Didn't pick up on that. That is indeed odd since there's some of their prized 4000 footers there. Last edition removed Acadia. Now half of it is back. Maybe next time Sugarloaf will re-appear. Wonder why they do that? It's only a buck cheaper than the White Mountain guide. Just put everything in, make it a little thicker, and give us 3 double sided maps like the other one. :?

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Its kinda nice having Acadia as its own book. Decently thick on its own. Maine is a kinda big place. Even NH gets more than one book.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:23 pm

thegibba wrote:
Its kinda nice having Acadia as its own book. Decently thick on its own. Maine is a kinda big place. Even NH gets more than one book.

Which Acadia Book do you have Gibba? I have an old AMC guide from the mid 90's (5th edition) which is a perfect size (4x5 maybe?) which I like but is dated, and then the newer AMC Discover Acadia National Park book (3rd edition) which I don't like quite as much but is current. It's more of a book shelf book with the trail descriptions buried in the back and a crappy map that has already torn to shreds, which is fine because I like the Nat Geo tyvek one better anyhow and they work well together. But it's big (6x9?) and always in the way and getting bent up in the pack. It's nice to have all the little essays and info on hiking, biking and kayaking when planning trips at home, but I wish they still had a smaller dedicated hiking guide also to just throw in the pack.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:09 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I have the AMC 3rd edition discover acadia national park book. Came with a non waterproof typical double sided map. Yeah it has areas for biking kayaking and all that. Worth every penny.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I've almost bought this like 8 times, but never have. On seeing this thread, actually my first thought was "Oh good, now there's a new one, I'll get this -- glad I never bit before!" But sounds like this is the same one after all. I haven't considered ME 4k's to this point, and despite being literally 1/4 mile from the border there doesn't seem to be a lot around me outside of Boneg Beg (sp?) and Agamenticus, which have plenty of info on-line (or in GG trip reports!).

For what it's worth, for things like the SNH Guide, I've thought things like "For being almost the same cost as the WMG, there isn't any value here!" But honestly, upon reflection or comparison with just about anything else, these other guides ARE very reasonably priced -- it's the WMG that's a ridiculous wealth of info for what's really a shockingly small price. I'm actually suspicious that most of you might agree!

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:58 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Grindboy wrote:
I've almost bought this like 8 times, but never have. On seeing this thread, actually my first thought was "Oh good, now there's a new one, I'll get this -- glad I never bit before!" But sounds like this is the same one after all. I haven't considered ME 4k's to this point, and despite being literally 1/4 mile from the border there doesn't seem to be a lot around me outside of Boneg Beg (sp?) and Agamenticus, which have plenty of info on-line (or in GG trip reports!).

For what it's worth, for things like the SNH Guide, I've thought things like "For being almost the same cost as the WMG, there isn't any value here!" But honestly, upon reflection or comparison with just about anything else, these other guides ARE very reasonably priced -- it's the WMG that's a ridiculous wealth of info for what's really a shockingly small price. I'm actually suspicious that most of you might agree!

The WMG is pretty dammed cheap for the trove of info that's within. When I first went to Acadia last summer, I bought the guide instinctively. I knew what I was getting going in. The AMC guides are quite comprehensive trail reports without giving away too much. They manage expectations well.

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:09 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Speaking of Acadia. I want to do a camping/hiking trip. Do I need to worry about black fly season if I try to sneak up there in May before the summer crowds?

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:41 pm

hwc1954 wrote:
Speaking of Acadia. I want to do a camping/hiking trip. Do I need to worry about black fly season if I try to sneak up there in May before the summer crowds?

Never had any black fly problems there. I've been a few times in April, and we've gone up Memorial Day weekend for the past 5 or 6 years. Been once in June too, which was really nice with the warmer weather and everything in bloom, but still no crowds or bugs. I think the lack of cool clear running water on the island that they like to breed in makes them almost non-existent. Or maybe the salty air. Or I've just gotten really lucky. Either way our spring camping trips are always there specifically because there's no bugs to speak of unlike the Whites that time of year. Mosquitos are also usually only noticeable if you're there in or right after a lot of rain.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:45 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Thanks! I'll aim for some time in late May, early June. Try to pick a window of nice weather.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]