Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Sleeping bag vs Quilt 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Sleeping bag vs Quilt
I'm getting ready to invest it a new sleeping bag and I'm giving the quilt setup some thought. I'd like to hear from anyone who has made the switch. What to you like/dislike? If you had the choice would you do it again? [/quote]

Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:03 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

What's a quilt set-up?

Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:28 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I'm looking at this setup

http://katabaticgear.com/design/

Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:47 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I have made the switch to quilts, and will never go back to bags, but that's just me. I am a super warm sleeper and I like just having something over me when I sleep. I never found a use for the extra insulation underneath you that you lay on and crush anyway.

For 3 season use I use the Therm-a-Rest Vendra Down Comforter and love it. It can snap into the fitted sheet that goes on my Neo-Air pad to sort of lock in the sides, but I mainly just throw it over me and forget about the snaps. No zippers to futz with, etc.

For winter I use the Katabatic Gear Sawatch Quilt (with 2 oz. overfill) It is by far my favorite piece of gear I own! It has a closed in foot box like a bag, but then is open underneath the rest of the way to the collar. The collar can be cinched up around your neck. It has a couple of tabs on it that you can use to attach it to some simple cord you tie around your pad. Again, I usually just put my feet in and not mess with attaching it or cinching up the collar. Its rated for 15 degrees, but have used it far below that with no issues. They are pricy, but the quality is that of Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends if you ask me. I use an Exped Downmat with it and can stay as warm and toasty as I need to with that setup.

There are pro's and cons to both as you can imagine, but quilts are what works for me. Its all a matter of deciding if its right for you, but they are worth taking a look at in my opinion.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:01 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Looks interesting. Is this for winter or three season camping? I'm a warm sleeper but not a still sleeper. In summer I often just sleep on to of the bag. Wonder how it would work for someone who rolls side to side? Seems in theory like the insulation would roll with you in a mummy bag so that "useless" crushed insullation would be put to use if the bag rolled with you.

I guess for me it would come down to weight and ease of use. When backpacking I want my stuff as light as possible and in winter when its 10 below I want it as quick and easy to set up and get into as possible. It wouldn't seem that anything could be quicker than rolling out a mummy bag with gloves and all still on but Id love to hear more of how this thing works in practice. I don't see myself switching because I'm a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy when it comes to my gear but you never know.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I switched to a quilt when I rebuilt my camping system a few years ago (along with a hammock). I like the quilt since it saves a little weight and I tend to sleep "hot" and would often sleep on top of the sleeping bag or just leave it open. I think I'm going to switch back to a tent this year, but I'll stick with the quilt. I have a 20 degree quilt from Underground Quilts (UGQ) which is a cottage industry manufacturer, it is extremely well made and I am very happy with it.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:57 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

the general idea is that there's more room. If you're a side sleeper or a thrasher the pad and quilt stay put. there's a little bit of weight savings but the main selling point seems to be comfort. I'm not completely sold on the cold weather application. I dont know that I'd want to head into the mountains with this setup if the forecast was for anything much below freezing. I think it would be an awesome summer rig though, nice and light with great ventilation.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:28 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Quilts are great...
...especially paired with Xtherm or another really warm, light pad (or even better, a hammock); and Katabatic quilts are excellent they're not cheap, though-prolly more expensive than comparable bags, which I don't get. Have you thought about Zpacks? Also, check out hammock forum.com and backpackinglight.com; both have lots of threads about quilts.

Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:43 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I went quilt two seasons ago and will never go back. I have a GoLite 1+ season for summer. I use a Western Mountaineering Megalite for shoulder season, but it's so wide I can use it open and tuck it like a quilt. If I'm too cold I can just zip it up and I'm super toasty.

I toss all night. Quilts have made my backpacking so much better.

Take a look at Enlightened Equipment. They make some good stuff and the prices are decent. I used one of their quilts last year for a night. Quality gear.

Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]