Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Tent Choice 
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Tent Choice
I currently have a chance to pick up either a Alps Zephyr 1 or an LL Bean microlight. Both are used about a year old and both going for $100 dollars each. Anyone familiar with these? Any preference between the 2?

Thanks

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:04 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Is it the new model micro-light or the older one? 1, 2 or 3 person models? I've had the older microlight (pre 2012) for years and love it but I do wish it was free standing. Staking it out in deserts, snow/ice and rocky ground has occasionally been a real PITA.

If it's the new free standing model that's what I'd go with though, if for no other reason than since you're buying it used the LL Bean warranty will still cover any issues that may come up for years.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:03 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

It is the older model, not the free standing model. The warranty is good info to know, I did not know that it would be honored on a used model.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:51 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I don't know about the other tent, but I too have the older L.L. Bean Microlight tent. Mine is the 2-person, which is about the best single person (with gear) tent I've seen. I've only used it a few times and so far the free-standing aspect hasn't been an issue.

The price is fair. It was on clearance for about $100 before the new model came out. Bean will always honor their warranty. They operate on an honor system that you purchased it from them. If you don't have a receipt, they issue a refund in the lowest amount it was ever sold for. (their 2-a-day markdowns are strategic that way).

Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:52 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

LL Bean has the Microlight FS 1 on sale now for $129. I believe it is last years model but with out shipping I think it is a better deal for me. I don't think I could use the warranty if I didn't buy it there anyway. (Personal opinion.)

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:06 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

alstaubin wrote:
LL Bean has the Microlight FS 1 on sale now for $129. I believe it is last years model but with out shipping I think it is a better deal for me. I don't think I could use the warranty if I didn't buy it there anyway. (Personal opinion.)

Right on! Good call. A great tent at a great price. And, if you don't like it, they'll always buy it back. BTW- the vestibule is awesome for gear, even full winter stuff.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:27 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Cracky wrote:
alstaubin wrote:

Right on! Good call. A great tent at a great price. And, if you don't like it, they'll always buy it back. BTW- the vestibule is awesome for gear, even full winter stuff.

Far from Winter camping but good to know. This will be the first year Backpacking overnight, down to tent, stove and water filter.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

We actually have the ALPS Zephyr 2 (purchased in 2011 I believe). We got it for backpacking but now use it for car camping too, as our other tents weren't quite as waterproof as we thought. It is freestanding, though we usually end up staking it down. We've used it in 23 degree weather up to 85 degree weather and are able to moderate the temperature of the tent depending on opening/closing vents and how we tie down the bottom of the rain fly. Considering we slept in it I think 25 nights this summer, it's safe to say we've slept in it at least 60 nights. Everything has held up well. The only slight complaint that we've had is that lately if it's raining heavily, the rain has been collecting in a small section of the rainfly pretty much right above our heads and then dripping into the tent. However, I think that when that happened we also hadn't connected the rainfly completely centered which may have caused a loose section of fabric.

We did buy the footprint, but not before using it on some rocky and gravelly tent "pads" at campgrounds. We've camped on some pretty jagged ground and haven't had any signs of tears or punctures.

I doubt it's the lightest backpacking tent out there (not sure how it compares to the LL Bean one), but we split it between the two of us so it's not bad. And we got it on SteepandCheap for a pretty good price, so we didn't mind the extra weight.

They call me Mrs. Ambitious.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]