Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Seeking User Advice...Water Cleansers 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Seeking User Advice...Water Cleansers
:D

Seeking User Advice on Water Cleansing Systems

I'm considering a hiker/backpacker's water cleansing system. I'm not sure if I want a basic model, a microfilter, or a purifer. And, which brand do you recommend/use, and why?

Thanks...see you on the mountain.[/b]

Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:07 pm

Water Purifier
Hi Stuke,
I am told that the best thing to use is Iodine pills. It kills the bacteria, as opposed to trying to filter it.
I use a Katadin Hiker model. It's a simple, hand pump paper-style filter that gets most of the dirt but not always the bacteria. Once the filter looks nasty, I replace it (I do wash it between trips though). Haven't had any problems yet and I haven't had to dip into my emergency Immodium pills in the first aid kit either!
It does take up one pocket on my pack, where the pills/liquid drops are a lot more compact.
REI had them on sale last week for $40 and you might want to check out Campmor too.
Lots of models and lots of advice, but you should use whatever makes you most comfortable.

Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:47 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Water Purifer
Thanks Pucknut61.

I've been watching the same microfilter Katadin Hiker prices at Gaylans and REI. I'll look at Campmor also. I've seen a similar microfilter hand-pump model by Sweetwater (sp?) that's approx. $5 cheaper...perhaps in quality too.

(I'm not a mountain goat backpacker but do spend time with my sons camping as part of their scouting adventure.)

Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:23 pm

Hi Stuke,
That's why I go to this site. Plenty of user-friendly people just providing their own experiences and sharing them with others.
Gear is one of the most opionated topics...what works for one person doesn't aslways work for another....then of course you have the car camping gear seperated from the hiking gear separted from the day hike gear.
You'll find Galyan's to be very expensive, but I have found that some well informed people work there, so the advice can be helpful but you pay for it
REI has to be hit just right for certain things and are right on for a lot of other things, but they are a lot more than just equipment. Check out some of the adventures they offer (and always look in the bargain basements of all these sites.)

I really don't care that it's a 2003 model vs 2004....it's that same thing but 1/2 the price!

Campmor is a place for price. It's real easy to go over the 100 bucks for free shipping....good deals on clothing..and gear is usually 40-80% cheaper than the stores. Check Sierra Trading Post for close-outs and Backcountry has one of the best varieties.
Due to 2 bad personal experiences in one week I won't talk about the "E" store (a new Tundra fleece with a ruined zipper after 1 use, and an owner with an attitude about what's on sale!).

Now as far as the filter goes...go to one of the stores and see the models. REI has a very useful display so you can really get a good idea of how they work, the price range, and what the capabilites are in terms of what it will and won't filter out....but you'll find that there isn't too much need for the higher end models....except that it's the latest and greatest!
Good luck,
Bill (Pucknuts61)

Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]