Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Printing maps to tyvek? 
Sovereign Woodsman

Printing maps to tyvek?
I guess this would go in the "gear" section. . . .

I have a couple pdf maps (O's and B's specifically) that I don't think are available in hard copies that I'd love to print off bigger than 8 1/2 x 11 and on something more durable than paper. Does anybody have any experience or tricks to do this easily? I find tyvek for sale at 25 sheets for around $30, but I don't think I'd ever need/use that much, and would rather not use my ink-jet printer if possible (use $20 worth of ink per map, probably!). Anybody? Does Staples do things like this, or do you print out on regular paper and then laminate?

Thanks for your help, which by experience I know is generous, accurate, and forthcoming!

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:21 am

I've used something similar to this
http://www.rei.com/product/829345/natio ... er-85-x-11
Where I usually create my own maps, the cost to benefit is worth it especially in wet conditions. The maps don't tear and the ink doesn't bleed (I use an HP printer/ink)
I haven't seen it in larger sizes so in some cases I'll print a couple maps to create a large one.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:31 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

That's exactly what I have. They also make it in 11 x 17 I think but I always use the 8.5 x 11. I use it for state park maps and other areas I'm likely to go to repeatedly. The stuff is tough as nails. It doesn't use any more ink than a picture but would be expensive for a couple maps.

I think the B's have a great hard copy available which I intend to get eventually. Never seen one for the O's. If you just want an 8.5 x 11 Id be happy to print you up some and mail them back if you send me the pdf's and print myself a copy of the O's as payment! :wink: I know you were looking for bigger but if that interests you PM me. I might even be able to figure out how to print it on either both sides to enlarge the viewing area or on multiple sheets but no promises there (I'm not exactly a computer whiz).

Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:05 am
Sovereign Woodsman

For anybody who comes across this thread at any point:

I found a decent solution just by taking a flash drive to Staples. They were able to print a color map on 11x18 and then laminate it for about $4/per. By no means a perfect solution, but pretty agreeable for me at least, and quite cost-effective. Of course, if you're doing a lot of these, buying the adventure paper and printing yourself would be cheaper.

Anyway, if this can help some fool like me someday, there's how it worked out for me.

Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:40 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: Printing maps to tyvek?
I use the tyvek paper. My printer will also print both sides of the paper which is a nice feature. Often times I will take a photograph of the area I am hiking and then crop and enlarge that area and send it to the printer. The larger view certainly makes up for my poor vision. Even though I see fine with glasses, the larger print makes for easier reading all around. Who hasn't cursed the small detail on an AMC map? A little fog or rain on the glasses is a killer with small print.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]