Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

 

 

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

       
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:51 pm



Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Bear Spray 
Author Message
Hiking Forums Are My Crack
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:39 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Not Mass 8)
Reply with quote
 
The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

_________________
Adventure is not a race. - Unknown


Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:22 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman

Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:52 pm
Posts: 1386
Location: Edge City
Reply with quote
 
Ha! :D


Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:18 pm
Profile
Master Mountaineer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 am
Posts: 914
Location: Worcester, MA
Reply with quote
 
JustJoe wrote:
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.


In other words... if you find scat that contains bells and smells of pepper, look around for some free hiking gear.

_________________
Nothin' on the top but a bucket and a mop,
and an illustrated book about birds.
You see alot up there, but don't be scared:
Who needs actions when you got words?


Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:29 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 2364
Location: Natick, MA
Reply with quote
 
JustJoe wrote:
The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.


Almost posted that myself earlier. One of my all-time favorites :D

_________________
NH 4K x6 || NH W4K || NE4K || NEHH || WNE4K 64/67 || 52WAV 19/52

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/


Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:44 pm
Profile
Hiking Forums Are My Crack
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:37 pm
Posts: 7137
Location: Exeter, NH
Reply with quote
 
iagreewithjamie wrote:
JustJoe wrote:
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.


In other words... if you find scat that contains bells and smells of pepper, look around for some free hiking gear.


And the bear should be full, so take your time. Nothing to worry about there.


Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 pm
Profile
Mountaineer
Mountaineer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:20 pm
Posts: 130
Location: Hudson, MA
Reply with quote
 
I was tempted to carry it at one time but the canisters are so big and heavy that I do not feel they are warranted for hiking in New England. However, I do carry plain old pepper spray for potentially stray dogs, etc. I guess this might work with a bear. Or it might just act as an added flavoring :-)

_________________
www.backpackingengineer.com


Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:21 pm
Profile
Sovereign Woodsman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:56 pm
Posts: 1442
Location: Canaan, NH
Reply with quote
 
backpackingengineer wrote:
However, I do carry plain old pepper spray for potentially stray dogs, etc.


Oh no, a dog reference! JK. :wink:

On a serious note, if you encounter a bear and don't have spray you can always turn and run. You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than you hiking buddies. :lol:

_________________
Ian


Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:51 pm
Profile
Mountaineer
Mountaineer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:20 pm
Posts: 130
Location: Hudson, MA
Reply with quote
 
Quote:
On a serious note, if you encounter a bear and don't have spray you can always turn and run. You don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than you hiking buddies. :lol:


I typically spread peanut butter on my hiking buddy's pack to make them more appetizing for the bears.

_________________
www.backpackingengineer.com


Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:52 am
Profile
Master Mountaineer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 am
Posts: 914
Location: Worcester, MA
Reply with quote
 
Image

Welcome to the board, backpackingengineer. Its nice to see a new member who actually has a website that doesn't sell sports stickers.

_________________
Nothin' on the top but a bucket and a mop,
and an illustrated book about birds.
You see alot up there, but don't be scared:
Who needs actions when you got words?


Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:21 pm
Profile
Mountaineer
Mountaineer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:58 am
Posts: 110
Location: Boston
Reply with quote
 
Never have in New England, Moose are more dangerous than bear. I do have a big Rambo knife though but I keep in my pack.

The most wildlife I come across is their droppings

If I where to hike in Grizzly or Wolf country then I would have both spray and a gun.

Only had a knife for the Everglades, was more of a coastal hike, if I went in more then I would probably have a gun with me, Boars, Bears, Snakes, Panthers, gators and crocks...Oh my


Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:09 pm
Profile
Mountaineer
Mountaineer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:20 pm
Posts: 130
Location: Hudson, MA
Reply with quote
 
Quote:
Welcome to the board, backpackingengineer. Its nice to see a new member who actually has a website that doesn't sell sports stickers.


Thanks for the welcome and for checking out my site! Hopefully it is a little bit different of a take on backpacking than what is out there currently...while not boring people to death! I have hiked lots of New England and at some point will get around to adding some of the past content.

_________________
www.backpackingengineer.com


Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:11 pm
Profile
Master Mountaineer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 am
Posts: 914
Location: Worcester, MA
Reply with quote
 
RWills81 wrote:
Moose are more dangerous than bear. y


+1 on that

I had a moose-assisted auto accident on my way to the Twins one Sunday. I had to spend the day in Littleton. At least they have a large candy counter there, and a good backpacking store. Acquisitions made at said candy store can be used as bear diversions in the event of a chase.

_________________
Nothin' on the top but a bucket and a mop,
and an illustrated book about birds.
You see alot up there, but don't be scared:
Who needs actions when you got words?


Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:27 pm
Profile
Master Mountaineer
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:04 am
Posts: 914
Location: Worcester, MA
Reply with quote
 
I just read a quote that is surprisingly timely given this thread:

“What on earth would I do if four bears came into my camp? Why, I would die of course. Literally *poop* myself lifeless.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

_________________
Nothin' on the top but a bucket and a mop,
and an illustrated book about birds.
You see alot up there, but don't be scared:
Who needs actions when you got words?


Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 pm
Profile
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:06 pm
Posts: 345
Location: Spencer, Mass
Reply with quote
 
I thought this fit in well here. "I want... to eat... your face" :)

http://deadspin.com/heres-what-you-woul ... -507658705

Eric

_________________
"Got my sunshine, I'll get by"
NH4K: 5/48


Fri May 17, 2013 9:21 am
Profile
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:34 am
Posts: 1
Reply with quote
 
Well pepper spray is a good self defense.. I own one..



Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:45 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Hike-NH.com based on STSoftware.