Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Water filters and bladders 
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

If i could revive thoughts from the more experienced on this thread regarding filters, when might one deem it worth getting the Katadyn Pocket Water Microfilter[1] (~$300) v. the cheaper filters[2]? I'm thinking about doing a 10day hike and don't have a filter yet. The pricey microfilter is light and pack-able and has a smaller radius filter, but very pricey.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-8013618-P ... B0007U00YE
[2] http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Hiker-PRO ... B0007U012U

Is this a one-time cost? if i invest the money on the more expensive filter will it last for years?

thanks, cheers,
- bkn

Mon May 20, 2013 5:04 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

With any ceramic element filter, you will at some point have to replace the element (depending on how often it gets used will determine how often). This is really the important part of the filter, regardless of the initial cost of the package. How easily it pumps and cleans (particularly the filter which can get clogged) would be more important to me.

fwiw, my father has one of the "cheaper" MSR ceramic filters he bought ~12 years ago. Still on the original element (not heavily used over those 12 years mind you, week-long trips here and there; it's nearing time for a new filter) and it still pumps fine. It isn't all that heavy either (sub-1 pound). It is similar to this one: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3664338&lmdn=Brand&cp=3677338.11359842.10754173

Personally, while I'm all for saving weight and space, I wouldn't spend $300 on a filter. I actually don't own a filter myself, but use Aqua Mira drops. Packs smaller and lighter than any filter on the market :D (The drops have their drawbacks though, and someday I'll likely invest in a filter).

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon May 20, 2013 6:18 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Just to follow-up on this post. I ended up buying the katadyn hiker pro. It works well. The price was ok. It came with quick connect fittings to add to your hydration hose (mine is a platypus i image it works with others too) so you can fill the hydration pack w/o removing from your pack. But to do this i'd suggest using camelbak's quick connect fittings which have a stopper valvue which you can close so you don't loose water when pressure in the hydration pack builds up.

Overall, its nice to have despite any short comings, i'm glad i bought this one over the more expensive one.

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:23 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Last week I used my 10 year old Pur Hiker (now Katahdin Hiker) and it worked great at a stream on the way up to Passaconway. I don't suspect the filter ever exceeded the threshold of 200 gallons filling my camelback or nalgenes. After every trip I disassemble the pump to allow it to dry out. The filter could take a couple of days to dry.

My camelback bladder is probably about 5-6 years old. When I bought it I also bought the brushes and aeration hanger. I empty the bladder and hose completely and hang it up to dry completely every time after use. I'm sure at first it had that "plastic taste", but I don't notice anything anymore and that Passaconway stream water tasted amazing!

But, to get a good scare about drinking treated and untreated water you should peruse this thread at your leisure:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.p ... nd-filters

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:24 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Thanks for these thread, i am searching exactly these topic only. and finally i got these are here thanks again. Actually want to buy the best water filter that's why i am collecting the few information about the water filter....thanks a lot.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2