Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Water filters and bladders 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Water filters and bladders
Hey everybody.

I've noticed people have been talking about a filtration product called katadyn pro. Can someone explain how it actually works and if it's at all difficult to use?

Also can anyone recommend a brand of bladder that doesn't alter the taste of water? Or is there a special way of cleansing it to remove that plasticy taste?

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:27 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

I use the Osprey 3 liter bladder and don't notice any taste from it. I keep it in the freezer between hikes to keep any bacteria at bay.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:45 am
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I do that, too. Freezing is a great idea as it can keep the funky taste to a minimum. Just be sure to clean it thoroughly first as freezing it can actually help protect some of the bacteria.

Also, you'll want to rinse it a few times before filling it or you'll just taste your freezer. :?

I use Camelbak 2 liter bladders and I've never had a problem with them. One I bought back in 1995 after they first came out and the other I bought in 2011. Both are still great.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:04 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I have the Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter... it's just a standard hand-pump water filter: one hose goes in the water, the other goes in your bottle and you pump. It's pretty straightforward and easy to use, I have no complaints, gets the job done. It does have attachments that you can use to pump directly into a water bladder for bladders with "standard" hose sizes like the camelbacks (I had to rig it to get it to work with the Osprey bladder since it has a larger hose diameter).

I had the Osprey 3L bladder until it sprung a leak. Worked well and I never noticed any weird tastes. I'm still debating getting another one or just sticking with water bottles.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:24 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I just pop the bite valve off the bladder and attach it to the output nipple on the filter and pump away. Fills the bladder right up - can even leave it in my pack.

Tim

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:06 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

The Osprey bladder has been redesigned this year(along with the whole hydration series of packs). Looks like different material, removable magnet, 3/4 turn on the cap. I never had my old one fail catastrophically but have heard enough stories to never fully trust the thing.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/h ... _reservoir

Tim, please tell me there is some sort lighting trick in that shot and that the hose to your bladder isn't completely black. :shock:

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:15 am
Sovereign Woodsman

It's discolored, but not dirty. I do scrub it out... Iron stains from my high-iron water, I think.

Tim

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:14 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I have a camelbak as well and started cleaning it out (just rinsing a few times) and then using a little vinegar to clean it. I then put it in the freezer. It's been working well!

NH 4K: 48/48
NH W4K: 48/48
NE67: 67/67
NEHH: 90/100
NH 4k each season: 192/192

Trail adopter of Osseo Trail (upper portion)

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I have an MSR Sweetwater filter, similar to the Katadyn, and love it. I too also use a Camelback bladder and can attach the hose directly to the "out" nipple on the filter. For storage I have the hanger that you insert into the bladder and let it air dry. No problems so far. Every so ofter I will run the long pipe cleaner through the hose.

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:31 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Freezing works, as does making sure it is thoroughly dried out. The toilet tanks in the house look similar - iron-stained. Just 3 weeks ago the water system crapped out and the replacement one is supposed to be much better at removing iron - I hope it works.

Tim

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:13 am
Master Mountaineer

The Katahdin pro is awesome.

You drop the dirty tube in the water, connect the clean tube to your bladder of choice, and start pumping. It's a charcoal filter, so you probably wanna give it a few pumps before connecting it to your bladder, to get all the crud out.

The water tastes great. Being able to drink fresh cold spring water that you didn't have to carry for 10 miles makes it all the better.

And for bladders that don't change the flavor, they all do a little, but its not too bad. I personally enjoy old school Buffalo stomach as its stretchy, and adds a little gaminess to the flavor.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:20 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. You all are always very helpful on this site and it's a great resource. I plan on picking up the Katahdin pro and putting it to some good use.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:27 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Katadyn filters are easy to use. I have one and use it with a Platypus water bladder. I also use a quick connect system so I can fill the bladder while it is in my pack.

For my gear list, check out this link:
http://www.backpackingengineer.com/gear/mygear.html

Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:24 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

My favorite cleaning trick is a little cider vinegar. It does a great job and keeps the H2O tasting great. I use it for all my bladders and water bottles. Cheap and easy.

Fri May 03, 2013 2:55 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Geigerrig
I use a Geigerrig Rig 1200.

http://www.geigerrig.com/hydration-packs/rig-1200.html

I must say I do taste it a bit but I don't mind as long as I'm getting hydrated. I'd say its on par with my Camelbak bladder for taste. but maybe its the way I clean them. It's pretty fantastic having the bladder pressurized so you just bite and your mouth is filled with water. Another thing is how fantastically easy it is to clean and more importantly dry. You can turn the entire thing inside out. Never had it leak either even under pretty high pressure.

I want to pick up a filter from them and see how well they work but I haven't yet. Anyone else used one of these?

Mon May 06, 2013 12:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next