Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 What's your favorite bug spray? 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Pucknuts61 wrote:
I used Buggs Spray last year. Reasonably effective for skeeters but I've yet to find anything trully effective for black flies.

From all the research I've done, there's no spray, cream or ointment that is truly effective for black flies. Even DEET, apparently (I don't use it), doesn't keep them away, at least from what I've read and seen of others' experience.

I don't know....I just kind of get used to them and learn to just accept them. For me, they're annoying, but bearable. The only time they really got to me was on the Hancocks last year. That was the only hike I had last year where they were so bad, I couldn't sit for more than about 10 or 20 minutes, whereas usually, in the warmer weather, I'll lounge on the peak for about an hour.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:10 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

bizona wrote:

From all the research I've done, there's no spray, cream or ointment that is truly effective for black flies. Even DEET, apparently (I don't use it), doesn't keep them away

I have found for myself, areas I've treated with Deet does not get bit. But nothing keeps them from swarming especially around your head as they are attracted to carbon dioxide. They are also attacked to dark colors.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:29 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

BobC wrote:
The best I've found for black flies is just to get a cheap hat and a cheap bug netting thing to go over the hat (around $3 at Walmart). You look ridiculous but it'll keep the bugs away from your face.

My wife and kids use them a lot. I just put on a bandana, swat and bear it. A little rediculous yes but not as bad as with giant bleeding welts and eyes swollen shut if you ask me! :D

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

BobC wrote:
The best I've found for black flies is just to get a cheap hat and a cheap bug netting thing to go over the hat (around $3 at Walmart). You look ridiculous but it'll keep the bugs away from your face.

I agree. I used to pick on my wife about hers, then I tried it. :oops: It's a very good investment and works well for all kinds of flying insects. It can turn a miserable time on a summit into a bearible one. I use it in the woods at home to combat the deer flies. Since they tend to only land on the top and back of my head I was able to get by with the netting up over the bill of my hat, leaving my face open.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:10 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I look ridiculous anyway. Maybe the hat and net will just make it look intentional. :wink:

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:33 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Cracky wrote:
I look ridiculous anyway. Maybe the hat and net will just make it look intentional. :wink:

+1

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:46 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

JustJoe wrote:
bizona wrote:

From all the research I've done, there's no spray, cream or ointment that is truly effective for black flies. Even DEET, apparently (I don't use it), doesn't keep them away

I have found for myself, areas I've treated with Deet does not get bit. But nothing keeps them from swarming especially around your head as they are attracted to carbon dioxide. They are also attacked to dark colors.

Ah, good point. I guess there is a difference between it being effective (i.e., they aren't biting) and actually keeping them away.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Old school yellow Listerene...didn't believe it until I tried it, but the stuff works! I just carry a small spray bottle with me, and re-apply when necessary.

TW 63/72
T 22/25

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:59 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

DEET will also dissolve foam on fishing rod handles. In my experience ive used 100% DEET and still got bit by ticks and black flies. im going to try the permethrin this bug season.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:57 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Nothing works for me personally. Ive tried a few things but i think the skeeters and flies think my blood is salsa so they attack me anyways (me being part hispanic)
What works for one doesn't necessarily work for the masses.
Greg

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:15 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

HOSSinNH wrote:
I used the permathrin treated pants (EMS "no fly zone") for the season with great results. Maybe becuse of what others have said above me.

Ben's and sawyer makes a permathrin spray to treat clothes. Last 6 weeks or 6 washes. I was thinking about giving that a go this season.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:16 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I guess it will be trial and error for me this spring. I am curious to try the Listerine method. I'm going to pick up some 100% Deet for good measure. Happy hiking and bug swatting.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:43 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

That listerine sounds interesting, will have to try it. My father used to use it as a dandruff treatment! As for the bugs, Lake Street Garden Center in Salem NH sells this stuff in a small plastic bottle called "White Mtn Insect repellent." I think they get it from Laconia or someplace. Two of the main ingredients are citronella and eucalyptus. Not toxic at all. Maybe not exactly 100%, but pretty decent. That, along with the hat, a winning combination!

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:20 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Beckie and Prema wrote:
That listerine sounds interesting, will have to try it. My father used to use it as a dandruff treatment! As for the bugs, Lake Street Garden Center in Salem NH sells this stuff in a small plastic bottle called "White Mtn Insect repellent." I think they get it from Laconia or someplace. Two of the main ingredients are citronella and eucalyptus. Not toxic at all. Maybe not exactly 100%, but pretty decent. That, along with the hat, a winning combination!

Have used this for years love it. Need to reaply often, but efective.

Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

A Thermacell works quite well....probably not so much for hiking, but for sitting on the deck or relaxing outside I find it quite effective.

Hiking....stopped bothering with repellent. I pick my days in the spring, and cover up when I go.

Mountains...never a tick I've met.

Woods near my house....absolute tick heaven! I just perform a check after my daily jaunts in the woods...on me and the dog. Started finding them already.. :twisted:

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next