Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Sherpa gear 
Master Mountaineer

Sherpa gear
Hi all,
Anyone have experience with Sherpa as a rain shell?

I'm in the market for a good 3-season rain jacket that I can also use on warm wet winter days over insulation

I'm eyeballing the Sherpa Resham - looks lightweight, and a good "all-around" waterproof jacket. By comparison, the Mountain Hardwear Epic rain jacket looks like it will also do the trick, but for half the price.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:02 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

No experience with the Sherpa but I own and use the MH. Its as good as anything I've tried, definitely keeps you dry and breathes pretty good, durable when branches scrape it etc.

I've finally reached the conclusion however that I just don't like rain jackets in the rain and all I use them for is what you mentioned, a layer over insulation, usually in winter or as a windbreaker. I've tried North Face, EMS, LL Bean and most recently the MH. The way they all seem to make me feel like I'm stuck in a humidor when its raining is horrible for me personally, and unless its a cold rain I prefer to just get soaked but stay cooler, but I HATE being hot so maybe that's just me.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
I've finally reached the conclusion however that I just don't like rain jackets in the rain and all I use them for is what you mentioned, a layer over insulation, usually in winter or as a windbreaker. I've tried North Face, EMS, LL Bean and most recently the MH. The way they all seem to make me feel like I'm stuck in a humidor when its raining is horrible for me personally, and unless its a cold rain I prefer to just get soaked but stay cooler, but I HATE being hot so maybe that's just me.

I'm the same way. I pretty much never actually use my rain jacket, I'll generally just let it rain on me since I'll be soaked in no time anyway (talking summertime of course. Spring's a different animal, but I've done little spring hiking thus far)

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:08 pm
Master Mountaineer

I'm the same in summer. I always have dry clothes in a zip loc should anything bad happen... but mostly, I say let it rain and enjoy it.

I'm mostly concerned about spring with the cold rain.
Also, I've found that my North Face insulated shell can get REALLY hot if its about 25 degrees outside, so this waterproof shell will also see some winter use.

This might be a stupid question, but I've read about how some rain shells lose their shedding ability. Can't you just nikwax a jacket to restore its waterproof abilities?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:21 pm
Master Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
No experience with the Sherpa but I own and use the MH. Its as good as anything I've tried, .

Which one do you have? The Epic and the Runoff are both similarly priced.
Only difference I can see is that the Epic is 1 inch longer, and uses the 2.5 Dry.Q.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:29 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

iagreewithjamie wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
No experience with the Sherpa but I own and use the MH. Its as good as anything I've tried, .

Which one do you have? The Epic and the Runoff are both similarly priced.
Only difference I can see is that the Epic is 1 inch longer, and uses the 2.5 Dry.Q.

I have the epic. Can't say for sure what the differences are but from a quick glance at the website the epic has a big brim on the hood, velcro cuffs vs elastic cuffs and pit zipps vs none it would appear. All features I like and IMO are worth the extra 10 dollars.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:52 pm
Master Mountaineer

Thanks for the comments - Especially the Epic review, GraniteGuy.

I narrowed it down to three similar rain shells, all similarly priced:
Marmot's Precip
North Face's Venture
Mountain Hardwear's Epic

1) Marmot - Ruled out almost immediately due to bad reviews. Overwhelming number of people say that after two years, it loses its repellancy. It was the cheaper of the three. Also, Precip is the least breathable/waterproof out of HyVent, eVent, and GoreTex.

2)Venture - I have to include a North Face product. Most of my extreme gear is North Face, and I love everything I have. This jacket uses HyVent 2.5L, which is great for water and good for breathability (my insulated jacket is a HyVent Alpha, which is noticeably more breathable than 2.5L). It also stores in its own pocket, which is cool. Breathability isn't the deciding factor as this jacket has pit zips and mesh pockets.

3) Epic - I've never really used or considered Mountain Hardwear, but included this as it was comparably priced for features. GraniteGuy's review also contributed to my opinion on this one. This one was high in the running because MANY people remarked that it kept them dry in a deluge, and that the jacket was very breathable. I've heard wonderful things about Dry.Q - most people compare it to eVent opposed to GoreTex, and the rumors of Dry.Q and eVent's breathability are compelling.

So it came down to Epic vs. Venture. Outdoor Gear Lab also rates these very similarly: http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Rain-Jack ... arid_array[]=49368&gearid_array[]=49700&gearid_array[]=49376&sort_field=2#compare

I initially chose the North Face. While not a dealbreaker, I like a jacket that can stow in its own pocket. Not to mention, I have alot of trust in this brand, and also have experience with HyVent 2.5L... which I like. The North Face was also priced to compete with the MH.

But then came buying time. The $70 North Face jacket was available in putrid or boring colors. I like to be visible, and if given a choice, prefer orange (most of my gear is a matching orange - vanity on the trail... I know). How much for the SAME FRIGGIN JACKET but in their new Orange color? $100. That's right - $30 less if you want "ZOUR" over orange. REI-Outlet carried the MH Epic in the orange I wanted for the $70 price point (out of all sites, they were the ONLY one that still had the orange marked down). I basically considered these two jackets to be functionally equal, so being unwilling to compromise in the color department effectively made one $100 and one $70 (BTW... if I was willing to take ANY color, I found both brand new on ebay for around $60).

At the end of the day, I picked up the Mountain Hardwear from REI-Outlet.com. I think it might be slightly more breathable than the North Face, equally repellant, and I was able to find it in the orange I like.

Thanks again for the input.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I have never had to use it myself, but from talking to friends who have, Mountain Hardware has an excellent warrantee / customer service on their products.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:07 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: Sherpa gear
The casual clothing and shoes have nothing to do with your workout sessions. For getting maximum benefits and working out without any kinds of issues, it is highly recommended purchasing quality fitness gear. I would highly recommend the shoes from Nike and clothes from running bare brand.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]