[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Hike-NH.com - View topic - snow shoe heel bar...

Click for Mount Washington, New Hampshire Forecast

Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 snow shoe heel bar... 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

snow shoe heel bar...
lot's of good info on previous threads about sizing etc. , but no real mention of heal bars. Is it assumed that peak baggers all use? Got a pair from Santa without (LL Bean's Tubbs Pathfinder), and think I should upgrade. Need to stay with LL Bean for the various gift factors and the 25" Summit Trekker,made for them by Tubbs, looks like the logical/only choice. I'm just getting into winter hiking, want to get after some peaks and the heel bar seems like a no brainer. Also have lower back and other assorted pains most active folks in their early 50's develop, so every little bit of help helps.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:48 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I (one person) would not go without the heel bar. It is a matter of personal preference, of course. I cannot comment on these shoes specifically. I am an MSR Denali Ascent user.

Tim

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:16 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

I'm an MSR Evo Ascent user and find I use them infrequently. For me, they are nice to have when the going gets really steep for a long stretch but for normal climbing, I find I don't like how they make me feel like I'm pitching forward. One person's humble opinion.

At this point I just wish we'd get enough snow so I could actually use them!

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:28 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

In my case I have had snowshoes I could not use them (because of my foot size and where the bar sat when up it would ride towards the front of the ball of my foot and give me blisters) and where I could use them. Honestly I personally could take them or leave them, but I am only 32 years old and have always had pretty large leg muscles. So I have not really encountered any more serious leg fatigue with or without them.

Brian

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I've never done any heavy duty trail blazing (hours on end) in my snowshoes, but I have no heel bar (technically, televators, yes?). I've used shoes w/them and honestly could take 'em or leave 'em.

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Ammonoosuc Ravine above Gem Pool
Liberty Springs
Twinway from Galehead to South Twin
Kinsman Ridge Trail from the Tram to the top of Cannon

the list goes on. All of these stretches will get me to raise the heel bar / televator. You get good at putting them up / down with your poles after a while.

As always, it's a personal preference. Your mileage may vary. Etc.

Tim

Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:52 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

I find televators terrific on the steeps, like overdrive in a car, a whole new gear. I've had this discussion with a bunch of other hikers and find this a common perspective. When I was looking for snowshoes salespeople at REi/EMS consider them important for a peak-bagging. Of course they tend to be more expensive ;)

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:57 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:39 am
Sovereign Woodsman

The heel bar works for me (size 13) but like you I do have to be careful about boot placement. I have 'locked' the heel strap on a known good hole (with tie wraps) so positioning my foot is rather easy.

I have had the fabric wear problem. I got MSR to send me new binding assemblies. Then, I used a Dremel (sand paper would work) to round over the sharp edge of the plastic decking. MSR suggested (with a please, as in we'll replace them this time) that I add duct tape to the cloth binding where it contacts the deck. In this photo, the left-most portion of the decking above the binding still has the factory edge. The area near the middle rivet has been rounded over.

Tim

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:13 am
Sovereign Woodsman

While I am at it, the MSR televator "lifter" tended to slide around the corners, making them difficult to operate. I solved this problem with some duct tape as well:

Tim

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:29 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Thanks folks. Interesting as always. Love the diversity in opinions. The hiking community is a frugal one. Steeps list (Tim) and the overdrive (Pam) comments made the most sense for me. With some sale price finagaling, the televation upgrade (new U2 tune?) was only $20, so I went with it. Any opportunity for future duct tape application is an added bonus. Still mowing lawns down here on the coast, and it looks like substantial rain tonight, even up north at high elevation. Putting these into action New Years weekend looks iffy at best . Geared up and bummed.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:08 am

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:30 pm
Adept Ascender
Adept Ascender

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:01 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:50 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:43 pm